Tur/Ibex Azerbaijan

I have just got back from an amazing trip, we camped at 9,000 feet and climbed the highest peak in the area which was 12,500feet. I would have taken a second Ibex but one of the hunters in the group did not receive his rifle at the airport so being the kind man that I am we agreed to join forces and hunted out of the same camp and I lent him my rifle after I got my Ibex.

On the way to the base camp

IMG_2479_zpsie5awdle.jpg

Base camp

IMG_2483_zpsb4oaxbbk.jpg

Heading up into the mountains

IMG_2513_zpsg1mtdzrv.jpg

IMG_2496_zpsbltjpnil.jpg

IMG_2498_zpsyydlpjom.jpg

Spike camp

IMG_2553_zpsg57l85l6.jpg

Glassing for Tur

IMG_2529_zpsznyl6qhw.jpg

Typical Tur habitat

IMG_2518_zps56aylf4e.jpg

Guides having a rest

IMG_2596_zpsqx6n7cnv.jpg

Setting up for a shot

IMG_2589_zps3hkureaj.jpg

Rocky outcrop where my Tur was shot

IMG_2563_zpswiqksmtd.jpg

Recovery of trophy that took 6 hours

IMG_2574_zps1baztnmm.jpg

IMG_0092_zpsufd6gsru.jpg

Note the rubber boots that the guides wear and these men can literally run up the vertical slopes

Female and young, the older males are found in separate herds at this time of year

IMG_0100_zpshpvmoask.jpg

IMG_0096_zpsj2io5nl5.jpg

The last hunting day, heading to the highest peak.

IMG_2605_zpsvuphah3z.jpg

Nearly there

IMG_2613_zpsai97ld9u.jpg

IMG_2615_zps9iwyes2k.jpg

The view from 12,500 feet

IMG_2624_zps7dl4kvr3.jpg

IMG_2625_zpskghgkeme.jpg

Glassing for the second hunters trophy

IMG_2627_zpsf1qutmsz.jpg

Heading back to base camp

IMG_2628_zpsdkixjnrn.jpg

IMG_2630_zpsqkssvpwf.jpg

IMG_2644_zpsjgsl9d5r.jpg

IMG_2645_zpsaos6rxld.jpg

IMG_2646_zpsiswocmwt.jpg

IMG_2647_zpskw1wsoik.jpg

My trophy back at base camp

trophy%20cropped_zpsswg1xpuh.jpg

Many thanks to Thomas (aka Roe) for helping me produce a simple to use turret wrap for the height/pressure range, my first shot was 592 meters at a steep downward angle which grazed the turs side and the finishing shot which poleaxed it was 390 metres, the tur fell several hundred feet into quite a nasty ravine hence no photos. Also many thanks to Dave Wylde for building the rifle.

The outfitter was www.seladang.com who I use on a regular basis, cost is dependant upon numbers but for a single hunter the cost is 6,000 euro and a discount if you book with one or more friends.

The rifle is a Valkyrie long action chambered in 7x64 and uses aics magazines, the whole lot is sat in an pse etac and topped off with a pm2 scope. The bullet used was a Berger 168 vld, the guides were in awe of the rifle when they had a play with it shooting rocks at long distance.

The ability to shoot at extended ranges I.e. up to 500m is a must sometimes the herds can lie up in inaccessible areas for days on end, the winds were quite light, in between 1-3m/s the whole time.

Also good boots and 10 packets of Imodium is advisable

Cumbrian,

Excellent trip by the looks of it? Good to see there is one good Azeri thing :) ?

Where did you fly into btw, Baku then transit?

Terry

Splendid and congratulation on a successful hunt. Stunning pictures of an amazing experience.

The outfitter was www.seladang.com who I use on a regular basis, cost is dependant upon numbers but for a single hunter the cost is 6,000 euro and a discount if you book with one or more friends.

The rifle is a Valkyrie long action chambered in 7x64 and uses aics magazines, the whole lot is sat in an pse etac and topped off with a pm2 scope. The bullet used was a Berger 168 vld, the guides were in awe of the rifle when they had a play with it shooting rocks at long distance.

Thanks for your feedback.

I've been to their website a few times and have always thought they looked like a good outfit. Good hear that you rate them.

I've got a on of 168 vld for my own 7x64, looking forward to trying them when I the house sorted.

Renaud at Seladang is a nice chap to deal with, you will however need a visa so if you are going to hunt plan well ahead, the UK Azerbaijan visa centre recommend a minimum of 35 days however mine took 1 week. In order to get the visa you require a simple invitation letter from the outfit.

Out of interest I was only the second UK client that they had ever guided for.

If you go make sure you post some pictures :)

Renaud at Seladang is a nice chap to deal with, you will however need a visa so if you are going to hunt plan well ahead, the UK Azerbaijan visa centre recommend a minimum of 35 days however mine took 1 week. In order to get the visa you require a simple invitation letter from the outfit.

Out of interest I was only the second UK client that they had ever guided for.

If you go make sure you post some pictures :)

Thanks, that's good to hear. The guys I've gone with previously are only arranging bird hunting trips and finding someone I trust is important with this kind of trip.

I won't (unfortunately) be going in the next 12 months, but good to know about the visa.

Yes, I will definitely post pictures :-)

I might have a few questions when I get to the practicalities, hope that's ok?

Archived