17HMR BARREL LENGTH

bigun

now have a slot on my ticket for a hmr but dont want too long a barrel 21" ect is the 16" barrel to short .ie will it affect bullit ,power ect .will be fitted with a mod ..some body some were i read said 18" is the best are they right ? i do most of my rabbit control out of the motor window so i need it short if poss ..

There was a very interesting test done by Bulberry (or something like that) barrels, where they recorded speeds out of a .17HMR barrel and then chopped an inch and repeated the test. I think you can find it in Varmint Al's (www.varmintal.com) website, under the .17HMR testing page. If my memory serves me right, the best length (for speed consistency) was 19 inches. I know there are brands out there which offer shorter lengths, but I have mine chopped (due to fitting a moderator) to 19 inches, and glad I did so.

Hope you have good luck with this,

best wishes,

Finman

any barrel from about 18" to 22" will give essentially the same muzzle velocity so i read on the (www.varmintal.com) site, its still kicking out a good speed though on a 16" barrel will have to go to the gun shop to hold one to see how it feels and looks ,

• 2 weeks later...

iv gone for the 20" heavy barrel and sak mod brand new from livens at B,O.T £300 ..as it seems really small in my hands :blink: as im not called bigun for nothing ..its only a long range rabbiting rifle so i dont need nothing too fancy ,nice bit of wood on it though ..do the cz shoot the cci best ,its what im thinking of useing on rabbits on a golf corse job i have as i do pest control part time ..

Guest varmartin

talking about 17hmr`s....I had some hang fires last night....it was like shooting a ` cap and ball` musket....

Click..........pop bang....twack went the bunny`s head.....strange with the time delay.

Then noticed huge splits down the necks. ( Rem fodder )

talking about 17hmr`s....I had some hang fires last night....it was like shooting a ` cap and ball` musket....

Click..........pop bang....twack went the bunny`s head.....strange with the time delay.

Then noticed huge splits down the necks. ( Rem fodder )

I Have experienced exactly the same with Remington.

• 2 weeks later...

cheers for the info on the remmington bullets ,i wont be trying them now ..

Archived