New Accurizer Die for 22LR

LongRange1978

Hello guys and thanks for a great forum! (sorry for my following bad english :o )

I have made a new design similar to the Neal Waltz die but with a floating chamber so you will get the cartridge completely inside the body before you start pressing the bullet against the piston.

Some pictures :)

The standard set
DSC_0032%202.jpg

This is the three standard pistons, but I'm working with several options.
DSC_0033_1.jpg

The pistons and the adjustmentscrew have a H7 tolerance (0.02mm) to make sure its in center.
DSC_0038_1.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

You will find the same tolerance on the top nut for the die.
DSC_0036_2.jpg

Shellholder
20150414_155051.jpg

This is the evacuation grooves for the gas if somebody would be unfortunate to get the cartridge to go off.
DSC_0038.jpg

Disassembled
DSC_0040.jpg

I will not say that this tool makes crappy ammo into match ammo, but I can guarantee it will make all ammo expand from nothing and all the way up to insane :D

I'm looking for someone that wants to test this tool and write a review about it, and if its something the members of this site is interested in I will make it possible to ship oversea.

Send me a PM why YOU should be the one testing this tool for free :bthumb:

The one to the left is original TopShot, nr.1 is pressed With Deep Hollowpoint at 5mm dept and nr.3 and 4 is pressed at to different settings With Supershock.

DSC_0053_1.jpg

Original TopShot to the left and two different settings on the Tenex piston.

DSC_0050_1.jpg

Original Stinger on the left, nr.1 and two pressed in to settings With Deep Hollowpoint and last three is pressed in three different setting With Supershock.

DSC_0045_1.jpg

I've tested a few of these tools -the most recent a few years back made by Paco Kelly in the US. Accuracy was always dependent on the care of use, but there were some configurations that weren't good for any small rabbit past 15 yards: Just no reliable hits. Damage from the modified rounds was devastating but then, I utilized high speed as well as Subs and Standard Velocity rounds. I still have that Kelly tool but have not used it in a few years.

Yours is a nice looking tool.~Muir

There are signs of higher accuracy/precision by using the Tenex piston on three cheap ammo types. TopShot, CCI Std and Geco.
I think the geometry on the Tenex bullet from Eley are shaped like that for a reason and that reason is higher accuracy/Precision.

Here are TopShot testet on 50 yards. First 2 x 5 shot on top with original bullet, and the seria down to the right is after pressing with the tenex piston.

11391197_10152810389426561_7980598336166

I dont claim this tool will make crappy ammo into match ammo, but it seems to improve a bit.
Tenex piston increase diameter on the bullet from 5.690 mm to between 5.695 mm - 5.700 mm.

Deep Hollowpoint piston increases diameter on the bullet from 5.690 mm to between 5.700 - 5.705 mm.

Supershock increases diameter by 0.005 mm.

I have a personal impression that a little increased diameter on the bullet will in some guns help a lot on the accuracy/Precision, but I have no Scientific proofs of it.

The material beeing used is steel.

You can use the tool to make good ammunition without hollowpoint into hollowpoint ammo.

You can increase accuracy/Precision With the use of the Tenex piston.

You can make ammo expand extremely so you can use it to hunt pest indoor.

You can use ammo that expands extremely to kill game cought in traps without destroying the trap from the bullet going straight through the game and the trap.

You can also use it for FUN! :D

Orange shot at 50 meters With Maximum hollowpoint in TopShot.

11209563_10152810398356561_7065929604435

LR has agreed to send me a die for review, I will keep everyone who is interested informed as to when it arrives and the results of my testing. I shoot around 1000 rabbit a year and due to increased numbers this summer Ive already started last week again with around 80 shot over 3 evenings just from longer range sniping of warrens, most shots were 80-100yds.

Im currently using SK Standard in my rifle and the accuracy is great but the bullets pass through every time making precise head shots the only real option. I would like to look at the option of putting in a hollow point and seeing if it makes much difference to the accuracy while hopefully having greater terminal effect. I will also look at the piston head option and do a test on six or so different brands of ammo available locally.

Look forward to that Al, especially the "Tenex" head. I have several hundred cci standards that don't shoot particularly well in the Anschutz I just bought so interested to see if they can be made to shoot better.

Mike

Seems like an awful lot of work and buggering about just to shoot rabbits......... or am I missing the point!?

The point is I enjoy it and it makes me happy, I can spend as much time as I like on the local farm and using subs it doesn't disturb anyone. I live 10 mins away and it gives me something to do which I enjoy.

There doesn't need t be anything more to it than that Andy :)

Being a former toolmaker the die is an interesting piece of engineering, I will enjoy appraising it and will say what I think in a straightforward and honest way that might be of use to other with a similar interest.

I think it's a great idea, and have been considering buying one of these for a while. There's a feeling with .22LR ammo that you get what you're given, but with this the ammunition can be refined.

The point is I enjoy it and it makes me happy, I can spend as much time as I like on the local farm and using subs it doesn't disturb anyone. I live 10 mins away and it gives me something to do which I enjoy.

There doesn't need t be anything more to it than that Andy :)

Being a former toolmaker the die is an interesting piece of engineering, I will enjoy appraising it and will say what I think in a straightforward and honest way that might be of use to other with a similar interest.

Al, I was thinking more of spending hours on end putting holes in bullets rather than shooting!! Like you I shoot many 100's if not 1000's of rabbits each year with work, spending time preping rimmy ammo seems pointless when there's loads of readily available subsonic HP's out there.

I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with it and reading your report.

Al, I was thinking more of spending hours on end putting holes in bullets rather than shooting!! Like you I shoot many 100's if not 1000's of rabbits each year with work, spending time preping rimmy ammo seems pointless when there's loads of readily available subsonic HP's out there.

I'll look forward to hearing how you get on with it and reading your report.

OK, I get your point Andy.

Looking at the process it doesn't seem like it will take hours though, if it does then I will report back those facts and what if any accuracy gains are to be had. Based on those findings then I guess both myself and those who are interested will decide then if its worth the trouble or not.

As I said earlier, my most accurate ammo isn't an HP one so even if I can make it so with no loss in accuracy then that will be a result, the only way we will know is if someone independently tries it and reports back :)

Years ago, I bought from TR Robb a 'hollow point' maker device. It used a small drill (bit) which filled inside a device which went over the bullet in a 22LR cartridge. This would then hollow point a solid bullet.

Sadly I can't say how effective it was as I 'hollow pointed' a number of Tenex rounds but found that Eley subs were so accurate in my rimfire, that it wasn't practically possible to detect any improvement in hollow pointing Tenex. And it was a slight fiddle in any case when there were 100's of rabbits to clear.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Accurizer for a few weeks now, and have done some small tests to see what I could gain from using it.

I have not been able to test alot of different ammo, as there is a shortage of 22lr amme here where I live.

I have mostly shot TopShot and CCI Standard in my rifle through the years, I use it mostly to kill birds, and it has worked for me. But now, with the Accurizer, I could convert the cheap Topshot and CCI standard ammo into hollowpoints, and have seen what it will do to accuracy and precision.

I have tried 3 different settings on the die, making a small hp, a medium and a big hp.

When I testshot it at 43 meters indoors, the results was scimilar with different ammo types. Small and medium hp gave me ok groups, but the big hp opened up the groups a lot. The Tenex point decreased group size, but my rifle is not the best out there, so the groupsize itself, is not as small as it would be in a more expencive rifle or setup.

This is a small hp from Topshot

20150605_224640_zpsbpcpxk56.jpg

This is a big hp from Topshot

20150605_224153_zpscpgnwswp.jpg

Topshot Tenex with a bad trigger job

20150605_224125_zpse8sfub9b.jpg

This is RWS R50 Tenex also with a bad trigger job

20150605_224347_zps6ugwta0h.jpg

This is RWS R50 with no modifiction

20150605_224525_zpssbnyszkb.jpg

RWS R50 small hp

20150605_224507_zps1hb4wvpb.jpg

RWS R50 medium hp

20150605_224436_zpsbohmtvq6.jpg

RWS R50 big hp

20150605_224419_zps4ogeen1a.jpg

As you can see, the results are scimilar, despite different ammo types. The R50 is a much more expensive round than Topshot.

I also made a expansion test, at 50 meters, shot in wet paper.

It shows that there is absolutly something to gain here :)

20150605_223301_zpsr7jz0a1o.jpg

I will need to shoot and test more, but this is very promising, and it is a very nice tool.

I'll check back soon :)

• 1 month later...

LR1978 sent me this tool for testing/appraisal.

This summer has been a crappy one so far, it seems the wind has blown far more than normal and as such I have not been able to make any real meaningful comparisons. The only still evening I managed to do anything it appeared that the Tenex style flat nosed option may have shown an improvement over the ammo in standard form but not so much that I could say for sure.

I will endeavour to do a conclusive test when the conditions allow.

• 2 weeks later...

good evening ,is modifying live/loaded factory ammunition lawful

I don't see why not , people have been pulling the bullets off military surplus and using decent bullets instead for years.

I guess there could be an issue if you change a target round into an expanding one without the condition on your FAC . Rimfires don't have to have expanding on ticket as far as I am aware although I have never had just rimfire on ticket so could be wrong. I have always assumed that rimfire ammo , particularly .22 lead ammo , will expand.

There was a time (pre Ballistic Tips)....and still is...where much hunting ammo wasn't/isn't hollowpoint,but still is designed to expand,and does; the soft lead /spitzer/designs,eg.Some 'petal' solid copper designs too 'peel back' in the classic mushroom shape.Hollowpoints are likely to deform on impact,more than real solids (how much deformation can vary,of course).

Hollowpointing may in some bullets be designed for stability/accuracy-"target bullets".

The key phrase in the FAC guidance is 'designed to expand'.

The grass may be greener on the other side,of course-but that is often due to the wearing of rose coloured spectacles.

Things are seldom black and white,yet the law etc must try to delineate-or at least guide the wise.

gbal

• 2 months later...

LR1978 sent me this tool for testing/appraisal.

This summer has been a crappy one so far, it seems the wind has blown far more than normal and as such I have not been able to make any real meaningful comparisons. The only still evening I managed to do anything it appeared that the Tenex style flat nosed option may have shown an improvement over the ammo in standard form but not so much that I could say for sure.

I will endeavour to do a conclusive test when the conditions allow.

Any update?

Where is he (ie which country?)?

• 7 months later...