best/most accurate sub sonic .22lr ammo?

sion

Sion, when trying out these different ammo option, be aware of these traps:

1. When changing between ammo types, the gun may need several shots of the new stuff before consistency is achieved

2. Don't draw conclusions from just 1 or 2 groups; shoot lots of 5 shot groups and take averages. Don't give excess weight to the occasional, one-hole-wonder group

3. Shoot at least at the range you will hunt

4. Eliminate other variables: wind, your fatigue, failing light etc.

I daresay you know all this but it's all too common seeing people at the range trying out different ammo in their gun and they are generating poor or misleading data.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An opportunity to say hello to one and all, and say that my 1977 BRNO Mod.2, likes Winchester subs. :)

This was a couple of weeks ago. Ten rounds, off sticks, sixty yards.

22RF%20OFF%20STICKS%2060YDS_zpstw6rkysp.

Years ago I used Eley, but had a very noisy batch, returned then, took Winchester instead, and have used them ever since.

Steve.

You cannot buy the best subsonic ammo ever made , as its been out of production for quite a few yrs , it was called " Scoremax " by Lapua , 46gr subsonic match ammo made for Biathlon shooting .

Yeah I remember those,,,,really did buck wind better and grouped as tight as their midas offerings,,,,,,,O

Here's a sample through my out-of- the-box Sako Finnfire Varmint, 23" barrel, SAK mod, off the bench at 55m using a bipod and back bag:

auzg.jpg

If I ever get a rabbit permission, I'll be using the Eley.

My heavy barreled finnfire shoots very similar groups to yours with those types of ammunition. I would say winchester was your best brand from the above results. I've found eley sport (green box) to be pretty good too.

If I can get some, I'll be using SK in future, but there's none for sale locally.

1. When changing between ammo types, the gun may need several shots of the new stuff before consistency is achieved.

Didn't know that, that's interesting.

Is that to do with the coating?

Is that the same with centre fires too?

This is always a good guide of what to expect from .22LR ammo.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

Yes,reality check using decent samples overall.

1/4,1/2,1 inch at 50/75/100y........Eley and Lapua (just which varies very slightly)

Then there are the rest-though many will hit very small barn doors pretty reliably,just not that small.

No surprises,quality manufacture/control shows. Subs not included,though.

Agreed,your rifle isn't a Bleiker,so you probably won't get such good results.It's an ammo test.

gbal

Good to see some real life groups rather than "internet" groups.

Here's a short video I made comparing 6 different batches of .22lr ammunition, 3 solids and 3 HP's all subsonic. Shot at 65 yards in windy conditions, 30 consecutive shots, all shots would have hit a golf ball. As expected really, Eley Tenex gave the best group. Not a scientific test I know but it helped me weed out the no hopers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqRw_xDtrFc

I have a USSR era CM-2 as well .... absolutely spot on with RWS R-50, and a match for most rifles that don't require a second mortgage to purchase! :D

I have a USSR era CM-2 as well .... absolutely spot on with RWS R-50, and a match for most rifles that don't require a second mortgage to purchase! :D

It was gathering dust in the cabinet so I chopped and threaded the barrel and added a sight rail and used it as my long range rabbit sniper. :)

• 1 month later...

Smashed my shoulder back in Jan; just getting enough movement back to have a plink.

20150606_150634_zpspqy9oamu.jpg

50yds, bipod no back rest, strong gusty wind.

Left to right, 10 rds each: sk standard plus, winchester subsonic, rem subsonic

20150606_150732_zpssa291ddv.jpg

I havent forgotten about this thread, and i will update it once i get some decent ammo to test but I'm still waiting on my RFD to get some TENEX and SK standard in for me to try!

That SK group is half the size of the other two browndog. What rifle are you using?

Thanks,

Sion

I havent forgotten about this thread, and i will update it once i get some decent ammo to test but I'm still waiting on my RFD to get some TENEX and SK standard in for me to try!

That SK group is half the size of the other two browndog. What rifle are you using?

Thanks,

Sion

Mine :D

Thanks,

Sion

Mine :D

Yup, the 22 AR in the pic - built by Bradders.

interesting demonstration eley does make some excellent ammunition ,I shot eley subs for a long time cost and availability in my area is a problem though.

I've found Eley Sport to be very good, but Eley hollow point subsonics have been very inconsistent even with three different batches.