The National Risk Register of Civil Emergencies

Shuggy

If you are interested in the 'sane end of prepping' then you need to read the Government's National Risk Register of Civil Emergencies which has just been updated. To quote from the introduction:

'(NRR) is the unclassified version of the National Risk Assessment (NRA), a classified assessment of the risks of civil emergencies facing the UK over the next five years. The NRR is a public resource for individuals and organisations wishing to be better prepared for emergencies.'

The most interesting bit for me was the lists of the various types of civil emergencies and their probability-impact assessments. Overall it's an interesting and sobering read.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/419549/20150331_2015-NRR-WA_Final.pdf

Thanks Shuggy, I will have a good read of that later today. This para jumped out at me.

"Pandemic influenza – This continues to represent the most significant civil emergency risk. The outbreak of H1N1 influenza in 2009 (‘swine flu’) did not match the severity of the scenario that we planned for and is not necessarily indicative of future pandemic influenzas. The 2009 H1N1 pandemic does not change the risk of another pandemic emerging (such as an H5N1 (‘avian flu’) pandemic) or mean that the severity of any future pandemics will be the same as the 2009 H1N1 outbreak."

Quite frightening. How many people have their own stockpile of TAMIFLU? Not many I bet. My focus is always naturally towards food, water and equipment, not medicine.

Archived