.308 rifle what to buy????

mike82

I'd agree with that too in principle, but the secondhand Remy situation could mean a long wait. Guntrader UK has all of 29 308 Remingtons currently listed (new and secondhand) including light barrel sporters, 20-inch barrel SPS Tacticals etc.

York Guns hasn't got anything near suitable on its website and even Rimfire Magic (SYSS) only has a handful of new mostly restocked rifles at £1,100 and upwards. When did we last see a VS, never mind PSS on the Diggle club notice board as a private member's sale?

Prices reflect this shortage too. Looking around, the best offer for a new shooter or competition shooter was a private sale low-mileage s/h 700SPS Varmint on Guntrader whose £1,900 price included a rail, Sightron SIII LRTD QD mounted, Timney trigger, Harris bipod and in an AICS stock (which I personally don't like, but many would find attractive). The sole 700 Police model listed is a new one with a tenner change from £1,200 and you can have an ex-demo Savage 10 FPMC tactical rifle with 25.75" barrel and Warne mounts for £1,400.

Incidentally Vince, there is a 6PPC Benchrest rifle on Guntrader UK for £395 - no, not a misprint, no 0 left off the end. Left-hand action too even - just up your street, a guaranteed comp winner I'd think that'll shoot in the ones all day long!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to try get a source a second hand Unique Alpine TPG-1 as my first choice.

I've placed an advert in Wanted section....thank you for all the information/advice.

Mike

I can't argue your point on used Laurie, went through that as well :o .

BTW Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove had new some .308 Remy 700, 26" SPS Varmint (synthetic stock, heavy barrell) in stock not so long ago.

For around £775 from memory. Still showing on Guntrader. Good prices.

Didnt like the stock myself, bought a Choate.

Best of luck Mike82. Let us know how you get on.

BTW Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove had new some .308 Remy 700, 26" SPS Varmint (synthetic stock, heavy barrell) in stock not so long ago.

I've decided to go down the new Remington 700 Police route (not yet bought)....get some more experience before I spend big!

Bought the scope already Zeiss HD5 in 3-15x42 just looking to get a weaver rail and burris tactical mounts, not sure whether to go for 20moa or standard and low mounts??

I've decided to go down the new Remington 700 Police route (not yet bought)....get some more experience before I spend big!

Bought the scope already Zeiss HD5 in 3-15x42 just looking to get a weaver rail and burris tactical mounts, not sure whether to go for 20moa or standard and low mounts??

Got a 20 MOA Warne rail with screws here looking for £25 plus postage if your interested

Atb Matt

I have been struggling with the same dilemma, and I came to the conclusion that for me personally one 308 was not going to do the job, I shoot From 100yds to 1200 yds and enter the RBL & CSR matches at bisley and shoot long range at Barton road And planning to shoot stickledown and diggle.i bought a browning tactical varmint 308 as my 1st rifle (before I really new what I wanted to do with my shooting)it was a good gun which would shoot to 1000yds but not with consistency and was to heavy for anything else I wanted to do .I soon Realised that it was not up to the job, So I have finally settled on a Tika CTR .308 for shooting to 600yds and a Savage 12 FTR for long range. Both guns seem very accurate and are built for the specific tasks I want to do ,I have each gun set up specifically for the distances I shoot it and loads developed for each one. Both have nightforce scopes and good quality mounts and I suppose my total outlay comes to the price of an AI with a good scope. Whether an AI is as good at all distances as Separate guns specifically designed for those distances, I don't really know, This setup suits my type of shooting And I'm happy, which is the most important thing

Archived