Shooters First Aid Kit

Grouse

Not your high end trauma stuff but everyday cuts or clean slices like glass , knife or from steel edges always have super glue In my kit . Closes all those cuts that never seem to close right under a plaster or dressing . Also when your fingers dry out and they split on the ends , perfect . Mate of mine who's a mechanic says in winter with oil and petrol drying the skin always ends up with splits on end of his thumbs , superglue . Sorted . Good cus for bigger cuts can glue and put on steristrips or tape . Especially when you don't want to have to use the local amenities for stitching .

Common misconception - the golden hour isn't literally an hour, it's just a phrase that's used to convey that casualties should be moved to the next role of medical care in the most timely manner possible.

Common misconception - the golden hour isn't literally an hour, it's just a phrase that's used to convey that casualties should be moved to the next role of medical care in the most timely manner possible.

The last combat medic that I met talked about the 'platinum 10 minutes'.

The phrases summarise the correlation between trauma survival and delay in receiving optimum medical care.

If trauma is severe/life threatening (eg arterial blood loss),then such treatment may be needed within a short time-the sooner the better-of course 59 minutes is no guarantee of survival.nor 61 minutes the opposite,but the likelihood of survival deteriorates at an increasing rate with time,and in minutes rather than hours

What it should advise is that the correlation is not linear-success is much better sooner,rather than later,and death becomes increasingly likely with delay. The 'golden hour' is a correct summary term,the 'platinum ten minutes' emphasising this urgency-operationally,an hour is probably more practicable,but the issue is clear,minutes matter-the 'window' is of probability,and it is essentially minutes not hours.

gbal

Other than training, the single biggest saver of live in extreme trauma out in the sticks is a tourniquet. I know some love them, some hate them, yet a CAT wil do what even surgical tubing struggles to achieve. Celox is another must in my kit. BD, bin the Israeli bandage, get the new celox impregnated pressure bandages. Easy to apply under pressure and the celox does what it says without an exothermic reaction.

This is also up my street, will dig out the kit I carry which may be a bit excessive but covers a multitude of scenarios.

Both the platinum ten and the golden hour are used as guidelines for trauma assistance being delivered. Golden hour is of little use in a liver tear when sitting at the side of a rural road with the nearest hospital one hour by chopper. Basic rules apply, treat first what kills first, keep it simple, keep it effective..............and remain calm. Oh and a good understanding of CPR (with proper practice) can go a long way too as you are more likely to encounter a heart attack than a GSW.

Is this the item you are referring to;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CELOX-GAUZE-TRAUMA-HAEMOSTATIC-LIFE-THREATENING-EMERGENCY-BLEEDING-FIRST-AID-/201329337166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee029e34e

Anybody know of a cheaper source as I could do with a few to spread around my shooting and chainsaw kit?

Celox is expensive and has a shelf life of only a couple of years but it packs an open wound with catastrophic bleeding exceptional well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfKTsCCsafQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSf5Asa8rc

The second link demonstrates the granules. The impregnated dressing is better for penetrating injuries that would otherwise be difficult to pack without experience and equipment. There is also a version that comes in what looks similar to a tampon applicator which is useful for narrow, deep penetrating injuries.

Is this the item you are referring to;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CELOX-GAUZE-TRAUMA-HAEMOSTATIC-LIFE-THREATENING-EMERGENCY-BLEEDING-FIRST-AID-/201329337166?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee029e34e

Anybody know of a cheaper source as I could do with a few to spread around my shooting and chainsaw kit?

Can't help with a cheaper source, but the good news is that the packaging is robust enough to survive two years living in the thigh pocket in my chainsaw pants. As for powder v's impregnated gauze, too many stories of powder blowing away, into eyes and struggling in really wet situations (open fracture whilst white water kayaking), so it's gauze for me.

My stalking kit is one of the gauze packs above, big roll of electricians tape, phone and Ieuan Jones mountain medicine training.

Aye the granules have limitations out in the field. The applicator is useful though, especially getting into deep wounds. Pays to keep an eye on this field as it is evolving at a hell of a rate. Being able to pack a large open wound and effectively sealing it quickly increases survival when out in the sticks. However, for most folks the ability to deal with choking, heart attacks and the like are probably more pertinent.

• 2 months later...

Contents of a team medic pouch -

SUCTION EASY

RESUSCITATION AID FACE SHIELD

ADULT TRIAGE LABEL PACK INDIVIDUAL 3 TRIAGE LABELS 3 DEAD

CHEST SEAL SINGLE USE BOLIN

CHEST SEAL SINGLE USE RUSSELL

MORPHINE SULPHATE 10 MG IN 1ML AUTO INJECTOR SYRINGE AND NEEDLE

PENCIL, SKIN MARKING, BLUE EACH

THE EMERGENCY BANDAGE TRAUMA

TOURNIQUET SYSTEM SELF APPLIED CATS

SCISSORS BANDAGE UNIVERSAL TUFCUT

BANDAGE TRIANGULAR CALICO

GLOVES MEDICAL EXAMINATION/PROCEDURE SIZE MEDIUM

POUCH MTP

GAUZE HAEMOSTATIC CHITOSAN (CELOX)

I'm going to up the scales of my med kit slightly, bear in mind the team medic module is the most basic level of med pack.

Archived