Shooters First Aid Kit

Grouse

Would any members in the know, care to put together a first aid kit (maybe one to carry and one to have in a vehicle), that could be useful for those involved in field shooting, whom may one day have to deal with a shooting trauma?

Would be helpfull for a link to an online shop to buy items too?

And a brief of what the items can be used for?

It's something I have meant to do for ages but never got around to it or known where to look?

Regards Grouse

I do carry a basic 1st aid kit, it mainly deals with slips of the knife or barbed wire fence incidents... I don't at this point in time have a chest seal, I'd hope not to be on the wrong side of the rifle! I do have an issue feild dressing... But depending where you're hit, that's only going to help so much!

It would be nice to know if anybody has gone that stage further in their planning?

Enough to get someone off the hill, this is the minimalist content I'd offer:

NASTY BLEEDING

2 x Israeli bandage (the type with the built in pressure applicator)

2 x Quikclot Gauze.

EVERYTHING ELSE

(from which I reckon I have enough to improvise just about anything I'd need)

Vital: Roll of Zinc Oxide Tape - strapping sprains, blister taping, making dressings for small cuts, binder for improvising splints

One non adherent dressing square (small) - making dressings for small cuts or small burns.

Strip of Nurofen - proper pain or just hangovers

A strip of ranitidine indigestion tablets - nothing pees me off more than getting acid indigestion.

That's it. :)

(I suppose 'Training' should be on the list too; I've had a lifetime of regular 1st aid trg, so rather take that part, and improvisation, for granted)

Quikclot (and at about 3:50 you see an Israeli Bandage being applied):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbMpMdEqRs

Carrying on from above.....

My emergency kit consist of a "Downed Operator Kit" from www.tacmedsolutions.com which consists of quick clot gauze X2, Israeli compression bandage X2, CAT Tourniquet (the single handed application type), zinc oxide tape, shears, latex gloves,shears,face shield. Plus to that i've added Asherman chest seal, 2 X oral airways (med...size 4 I think) and 2 X nasal airways.

Weighs next to nothing and sits in the bottom of my range bag and stalking rucksack......plus general basic first aid kit and one for the dog as well !!

Regards Rob.

Guest Stacka

I just use hemcom, FFD, and a Cat Tournique, in a small bag which always sits in my kit.

You do t need any more than that as those who have seen a gun shot wound will tell you. For those who don't, I'd suggest you do some sort of trauma management training, there's a few courses about but will help you should the very worst happen.

A buckshee first aid course won't cut the mustard.

I'm not really sure on tourniquets....I have them in my head as something more relevant to massive multiple wounds/limb loss than single gunshot wounds. I suppose a CAT wouldn't be a silly addition for a lone chainsaw operator.

You also need something along for the annoying, day-spoiling, non-disasters: sprains, small cuts, headaches etc.

Guest Stacka

I'm thinking more catastrophic bleed, I.e. Femoral Or any other arterial areas, but.

Especially when stalking/foxing together. A gun shot to the leg would ruin your day.

But the most important piece of kit to carry is knowledge, I know some of us here know how to deal with a gunshot wound, and some maybe have dealt with it.

But regardless of what first aid kit you carry, it's worth mud if you don't know how to use it.

I'm not really sure on tourniquets....I have them in my head as something more relevant to massive multiple wounds/limb loss than single gunshot wounds. I suppose a CAT wouldn't be a silly addition for a lone chainsaw operator.

You also need something along for the annoying, day-spoiling, non-disasters: sprains, small cuts, headaches etc.

Matt,might the tourniquet be a 'last resort' for an arterial loss which can't be stopped,and would be a bleed out-it would buy a little more time-but either way,professional help is indicated in a short time span.

There will be more frequent need for the minor medicines than the major,and likewise a bar of chocolate than a 6m supply of pulses.

I'm surprised our demograph don't mention glasses/spares,if used.Credit card and cash are good,until you have to be self reliant.

"Self reliant" seems to be the synoptic theme.It may come down to that.Robinson Crusoe,longer term.

gbal

+1 Training is the most important piece of kit.......you can't carry kit for every eventuality but with training you can at least be prepared for it, and cover most scenarios.

Regards Rob.

Matt,might the tourniquet be a 'last resort' for an arterial loss which can't be stopped,and would be a bleed out-it would buy a little more time-but either way,professional help is indicated in a short time span.

There will be more frequent need for the minor medicines than the major,and likewise a bar of chocolate than a 6m supply of pulses.

I'm surprised our demograph don't mention glasses/spares,if used.Credit card and cash are good,until you have to be self reliant.

"Self reliant" seems to be the synoptic theme.It may come down to that.Robinson Crusoe,longer term.

gbal

Tourniquets always used to be a bit of a no-no because, improperly used, they can easily lead to limb loss.

They're relatively easy to improvise in-extremis (eg bootlace and wind it tight with a rifle bolt)

Having a CAT risks, to my mind, putting the tourniquet front of mind as an early measure, rather than one of last resort - and on the Hill, we're not in the business of MERTs and getting to surgery in a timeframe that negates 'over-zealous' early application. Just my view :)

Guest Stacka

Fair a good point, ok for me a Cat T is in my kit....

.....but you have highlighted a further point here.

How many people have thought about a extraction plan or even getting a Aero Med to a location say out on a bloody big remote estate or on the moors. I have a GPS with some AAA's stowed in my bag, and my watch gives a 10figure grid. But how many would be able to get that squared away.

Basic 1st aid kit + FFD's, vehicle kit carried on both 4x4 and quad (and the tractor), as for the location issue, I saw a very good idea on Landward, a laminated card with prominent landmarks and grids marked, if there was an incident, you called 999 and said "I'm 800y east of grid ????? ?????.

I have some of the mentioned stuff, and have supplemented it with a nice nurses outfit from Ann Summers in order to keep blood pressure high. Most of my official first aid moments have been fraught, the GSW was the only serious one that did not end up in Coroners Court. Stalking injuries have mainly been plasters. I did relieve the pressure in my crushed nail with a handy Dremel and drill which worked quite well but I failed to account for the weight of the Dremel and subsequent bone intrusion. Ouch.

Tourniquets can as said above lead to loss of a limb if used improper and a time and date is noted on them for when the patient is handed over to medical services...only used as a last resort, i have used them in the past and actually saved x2 persons limbs lower leg and upper arm, so they do work if used correctly.

Courses I've recently done are FPOSI - first person on scene intermediate and MIRA - Medicine in remote areas which you can only do once completing the FPOSI, both very good courses and last for 3 years...many course providers on the web if you google them.

Like many of a forces background, I carry a trauma kit. In my case that's 2xFFd, 2 x chest seal, 2xcat, shears, gloves and face shield. Plus Celox gauze.

The most important thing as mentioned, is knowledge. I've done team medic, regimental med assistant (4 weeks long) plus some civvi stuff (I'm a volunteer responder for the amby service) and I still consider my knowledge relatively low. I think a shooting specific course would be good- maybe covering the usual CPR (probably more likely with carrying a deer off the hill) collapse, breathing difficulties, plus some good training on penetrating trauma.

We got any first aid trainers here?

Grouse, I note you're in Derbyshire. Can I ask do you know how to call out Mountain Rescue?

If a serious incident happens the primary concern is rapid evacuation to hospital. Having a plan for 'what if' and how to call for help is a must, a basic first aid course of how to stem a bleed, open an airway, CPR etc is pretty useful and can save a life whilst help is on the way. MR teams work with the ambulance service (EMAS for Derbyshire) plus Police, Air Ambulance and Coastguard (which has today replaced the RAF Seaking as the UK's SAR helicopter response) and can quickly access places the usual emergency services can't get too.

This topic is right up my street!

Would always suggest people attend a emergency care course and get very very good at basic first aid, rather than becoming very basic at advanced levels.

Ill second what Jagged has said above, ambulances generaly wont go off tarmac or pavement for any distance, so helo or local mrt may be the response.

Once you have attended some formal training you will have a better idea of how to fill your own first aid kit with items you are happy and competant to use - golden legal one liner is "first do no harm".

Get on a course mate, red cross, st johns or a level 2 REC course would be my recommendation, or to be honest if you can then get on a WEMSI course.

Major trauma from penetrating injuries or ballistic trauma are things that definately require a high level skill set, simply having a bag that contains items designed to keep someone alive untill help arrives is not worth jack if you dont have a calm head and cant slow it all down and treat what you find in the correct order with the correct bits of kit and with the right techniques to deal with clinical medical and trauma.

On another note if UKV members wish to attend a certificated course for rescue emergency care and also canine 1st aid, then Im happy to arrange, PM me.

Enough to get someone off the hill, this is the minimalist content I'd offer:

NASTY BLEEDING

2 x Israeli bandage (the type with the built in pressure applicator)

2 x Quikclot Gauze.

EVERYTHING ELSE

(from which I reckon I have enough to improvise just about anything I'd need)

Vital: Roll of Zinc Oxide Tape - strapping sprains, blister taping, making dressings for small cuts,

One non adherent dressing square (small) - making dressings for small cuts or small burns.

Strip of Nurofen - proper pain or just hangovers

I also have a Cat T , 4 x small bandages , knife, shears , 2m para cord, dual band radio ( Pre programmed )

I suppose after my last post add the following:

All the best first aid kit in the world will not be enough if you cannot get to primary care within an hour or less

Mobile phone will not always work so if you are on you own make sure someone knows where you are

Carry a recognition panel and strobe.

You will struggle to carry someone of your own size very far. Known RV points are essential

If you have the kit, try it out. Know how to apply a bandage on yourself as well as somebody else and if you think it's appropriate try a tourniquet as well.

Most of all invest some money in some training.

All the best first aid kit in the world will not be enough if you cannot get to primary care within an hour or less

...blimey, bad news for someone getting a blister or a small cut on their hand! :lol::P:)

For nastier stuff, the 'golden hour' is 'best chance'; not 'only chance'! :):)

Just been chatting with one of my guys about this, he's ex SFSG, 2 x Israeli, 2 x Quickclot, 2 x tourniquet and 1 x roll of cling film - as it's pretty adaptable! Interesting ?

T

Archived