22 dasher

Thanks Vince,

I have narrowed it down to a few possibles,

22br

22 dasher or

22x47 lapua.

I want a mag fed rifle for foxing that doubles up as a good varminter. 75 grain plus bullets are preferred for this rifle

Go with the Dasher or 22 BRX, experimenting is fun.

This will upset a lot of 22/250 shooters but it is a inferior cartridge when compared to the 22 BR/BRX or Dasher. Having said that when using them at foxing ranges circa 300 yards it's all immaterial.

This will upset a lot of 22/250 shooters but it is a inferior cartridge when compared to the 22 BR/BRX or Dasher. Having said that when using them at foxing ranges circa 300 yards it's all immaterial.

Ian,

Yes As you say its fun trying new cartridges. Doesnt matter what cartridge I go with for foxing as you say at realistic ranges inside 300 yards any appropriate rifle will do the job, I just like to have a spare round under the bolt for whatever reason (failure for primer to ignite) this has happened me before. Foxy doesnt hang about for you to find another round in youre pockets. ?

Thanks Vince,

I have narrowed it down to a few possibles,

22br

22 dasher or

22x47 lapua.

I want a mag fed rifle for foxing that doubles up as a good varminter. 75 grain plus bullets are preferred for this rifle

The 22x47 Lapua struggles to match the Dasher's ballistics - for your purposes the 22BR will do all you want.

Yup Elwood - experimenting is my idea of fun - but it's nice when it gives you a result in competition! Just comparing the 6mm Smack with the 6XC..................

I shoot a single shot 22BR 1:12 twist, launching 55 grn SBKs @3580fps it groups 2" at 500yds and i have taken rabbits at 470 yards and crows at 430.

Longest fox was 230yds, unless you really want to stretch the range i dont think you need to go for fast twists and heavy bullets, just use a more suitable calibre, personally when i want to reach out past 500 i pick up my 257 AI.

Ian.

This will upset a lot of 22/250 shooters but it is a inferior cartridge when compared to the 22 BR/BRX or Dasher.

Hi Elwood... I don't think you will upset too many of us 22.25 shooters TBH.... although there might be a wry smile or two. :D:P

Last weekend , just checking my zero before varminting , I fired the two three shot groups below using 75 grn Amax @ 3360 fps..

3%20shot%20group%2075%20grn%20Amax%20Mar

22.250%20-%2075%20grn%20Amax%20March%201

In January I shot this three shot group with the inferior 22.250 at exactly 500 yrds (3 shots witnessed by 2 people)

2014-11-02%2016.17.25_zpsqokyvxxo.jpg

I think the 22 BR is a great calibre and obviously the OP wants a custom calibre.

In my eyes it means is more case prepping - more expense for no gain in the field... and usually limited to a single shot rifle.....

Everyone to their own , as they say

ATB

S

Hi Elwood... I don't think you will upset too many of us 22.25 shooters TBH.... although there might be a wry smile or two. :D:P

In January I shot this three shot group with the inferior 22.250 at exactly 500 yrds (3 shots witnessed by 2 people)

I think the 22 BR is a great calibre and obviously the OP wants a custom calibre.

In my eyes it means is more case prepping - more expense for no gain in the field... and usually limited to a single shot rifle.....

ATB

S

I'm glad you see it my way :)

I have used both calibers extensively and the BR does it with less powder, less recoil and the inherent accuracy of the BR case, they both do the job as your photos clearly show. If the 22BR case was commercial cartridge the 22.250 wouldn't have the following that it does.

I wonder how many 22 dashers there will be when the new 6mm dasher brass hits are shores from Norma , just a simple neck down and a bit of a trim then .

I see a lot of Dasher reamers being ordered soon .

The brass will be a game changer

Hi Ian. I suppose it begs the question , Why hasn't a manufacturer made the 22 BR a commercial calibre if they are superior.

Personally I don't think it would make much of a dint in the 22.250 sales

Look at its bigger brother , the 6 BR , Despite producing factory ammunition and some factory rifles. ....

It only has a tiny following compared to the vastly more popular 243 . Despite the extra powder, extra recoil and promise of inherent accuracy . The 6 Br hasn't prised most 243 shooters away from their trusty rifles.. Why .. because you don't shoot groups on Deer or coyotes , therefore measuring group sizes in 0.1 's has very little relevance to hunters.

Same principal goes for Fox shooters and vermin control, A standard 22.250 factory rifle can produce 0.5 MOA.groups at 400 yrds. Therefore easily sufficient accuracy for any vermin and very little would be gained for the extra cost and faffing with brass.

As far as recoil - I have just plugged some rough figures in to a recoil calculator

The 22.250 produces 6.1 ft lbs of recoil ( 75 grn Amax @ 3300 fps)

The 22 BR produces 5.7 ft lbs of recoil ( 75 grn Amax @ 3300 fps

There is actually less in terms of recoil between a 223 and a 222 ....E.G Sweet FA :ph34r:

22 BR is undoubtedly superb performer - but that doesn't make the 22.250 inferior just because it uses about 3 to 4 grns more per shot... Otherwise the same argument could be used for the 22 PPC against the 22 BR.

ATB

S

Hi Ian. I suppose it begs the question , Why hasn't a manufacturer made the 22 BR a commercial calibre if they are superior.

Personally I don't think it would make much of a dint in the 22.250 sales

Look at its bigger brother , the 6 BR , Despite producing factory ammunition and some factory rifles. ....

It only has a tiny following compared to the vastly more popular 243 . Despite the extra powder / recoil and promise of inherent accuracy . The 6 Br hasn't prised most 243 shooters away from their trusty rifles.. Why .. because you don't shoot groups on Deer , therefore measuring group sizes in 0.1 's has very little relevance to hunters.

Same principal goes for Fox shooters and vermin control, A standard 22.250 factory rifle can produce 0.5 MOA.groups at 400 yrds. Therefore easily sufficient accuracy for any vermin and very little would be gained for the extra cost and faffing with

As far as recoil - I have just plugged some rough figures in to a recoil calculator

The 22.250 produces 6.1 ft lbs of recoil ( 75 grn Amax @ 3300 fps)

The 22 BR produces 5.7 ft lbs of recoil ( 75 grn Amax @ 3300 fps

There is actually less in terms of recoil between a 223 and a 222 ....E.G Sweet FA :ph34r:

22 BR is undoubtedly superb performer - but that doesn't make the 22.250 inferior just because it uses about 3 to 4 grns more per shot... Otherwise the same argument could be used for the 22 PPC against the 22 BR.

Your quite right it's choices , half of my customers don't load there own ammo so they will always go main stream

I will concede on one point, the 22.250 will magazine feed better than the BR which is possibly one reason people shy away from them, although they do work in modified AI mags, Sako PPC mags and I'm told the Tikka magazine.

I will hazard a guess as to why a manufacturer hasn't made a commercial 22BR is because it would be commercial suicide to try and compete against a few million 22.250 chambered rifles that are already in circulation. I doubt we will ever see it in a main stream rifle due to the feeding issues.

There really isn't any faffing about with forming 22BR cases, take a 6mm BR case and neck it down to .22, it is that easy.

Sherlock credit to you, you have one very accurate 22.250 and you clearly know how to use it, you stick with it and your way of thinking and I will stick with mine, I have enjoyed reading your reasoning.

I shoot a single shot 22BR 1:12 twist, launching 55 grn SBKs @3580fps it groups 2" at 500yds and i have taken rabbits at 470 yards and crows at 430.

Longest fox was 230yds, unless you really want to stretch the range i dont think you need to go for fast twists and heavy bullets, just use a more suitable calibre, personally when i want to reach out past 500 i pick up my 257 AI.

Ian.

Ian,

This would be a better idea shooting something larger like a 6mm or 6.5 but legally in Northern Ireland you are not allowed to fox with anything larger than .22 unless you possibly have it passed for deer also on certain land.

So this is the reason why I want a capable .22 of reaching out a bit further when I need to.

Last weekend , just checking my zero before varminting , I fired the two three shot groups below using 75 grn Amax @ 3360 fps..

3%20shot%20group%2075%20grn%20Amax%20Mar

22.250%20-%2075%20grn%20Amax%20March%201

2014-11-02%2016.17.25_zpsqokyvxxo.jpg

ATB

S

Alan,

I would not feel under gunned in any way if I had a 22-250 that shoots like youres! Obviously you the shooter has to drive it and you do that very well!

As you say as a field gun it would do the job very well and maybe im over looking the 22-250 too much?

Its just nice to be different sometimes......

Im even more undecided now ?

• 1 year later...

I love the 22 Dasher. But, if you're not intending to use it for competition - you mentioned mag. feeding - it's definitely not worth all the bother of case-forming.

What sort of velocities from what length of barrel an you obtain with the heavies from the dasher Vince?

im now about to do a .22/270 wsm for fun shooting

barrel life will be an issue

.22/270 WSW! Crikey, the 223 WSSM was already considerably overbore with its 50'ish grain water capacity, the 22/270 WSM will be nearer the high 70s. Barrel burner indeed :o

http://www.realguns.com/calculators/rgbarrelburnerindex.html