Importing reloading equipment from the states?

hunter686

Has anyone ever imported any reloading equipment from the states?

Im looking at kitting myself out with the RCBS Rockchucker kit. Its £100 cheaper to import (that's including import tax if it gets pulled) but i am a bit worried about any laws or legislation that might stop it from coming in. Anyone had any experience? Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hunter686

Hunter,

There is no 'legal' reason not to obtain unless the reloading kit is for a 'machine' i.e. commercial quantities.

What you might find is vendors are unwilling to ship anything out of the US for fear of crossing ITAR restrictions, unfounded but prevalent.

T

Great! My business partner is heading to Florida in a couple of weeks and is willing to pick me up the small things like dies and small case prepping tools. He won't touch a full kit in the fear of ending up on bottomless wicker chair, whilst MI6 try and turn him female with a knotted rope taken from a kids play ground

Dillon Precision will ship here as will Natchez and Midsouth

Do you know if they shipped by courier or not? I.e was it a cusirer thay delivered it or Roayal Mail?

Its not as easy as it was.

In the past from Sinclair International I have had RCBS Chargemaster,Redding T7 + spare turret plus other bits & pieces.

Recently I ordered RCBS primer seater only to have the order sat on and then go "out of stock". I now don't know whether its cancelled or back-order or even if they took my money.

I have also asked if they can send me the Hornady edition nine cartridge reloading manual. They say "no" restricted.

Funny that,I bet its not restricted at their UK branch. Its certainly not restricted on Itunes.

Cabelas took my order for the same model primer seater only to decide two days later that they were out of stock.

Midsouth Shooters supplies can send out the manual that the others can't,only its $40.00 postage.

There seems to me to be a lot of mickey taking with the companies over there that have branches over here.

I have found it to be right pain in th rectum trying to spend money lately.

Bryan.

Its not as easy as it was.

In the past from Sinclair International I have had RCBS Chargemaster,Redding T7 + spare turret plus other bits & pieces.

Recently I ordered RCBS primer seater only to have the order sat on and then go "out of stock". I now don't know whether its cancelled or back-order or even if they took my money.

I have also asked if they can send me the Hornady edition nine cartridge reloading manual. They say "no" restricted.

Funny that,I bet its not restricted at their UK branch. Its certainly not restricted on Itunes.

Cabelas took my order for the same model primer seater only to decide two days later that they were out of stock.

Midsouth Shooters supplies can send out the manual that the others can't,only its $40.00 postage.

There seems to me to be a lot of mickey taking with the companies over there that have branches over here.

I have found it to be right pain in th rectum trying to spend money lately.

Bryan.

If you're really struggling to spend your money I'll pass you my girlfriends details, shes a pro at it.

On serious note, its a bit off putting that they won't ship loading book. I don't think ISIS use Hornady in there Aks! The one I have seen is a buy it now on ebay, although it is a shop i haven't checked the actually seller, could be one of the above listed. In the correspondence i had with them they seemed fine about shipping over here

Spud's your man and you won't have to sit on one of those funny chairs.

Top service and an alround nice guy.

Chances are although it may cost more you'll get it quicker and support a UK business.

I bought dies and cases with no problems.

Bullets and cases are covered by ITAR and it's a US Federal criminal offence (not a 'midemeanour', rather a felony) to export them from the USA without an appropriate US State Department export licence. Dies aren't so affected ... yet!

The RCBS website online sales section used to allow the direct ordering and delivery of tools worldwide until not too long ago, then was changed to say the company would no longer take foreign orders. Many of the smaller die manufacturers routinely ignore email requests from the UK and if you telephone them say they have a policy of not taking foreign orders now. Everybody is spooked by ITAR and it's easier to say no direct to foreign customer supply nowadays.

I bought dies and cases with no problems.

Bullets and cases are covered by ITAR and it's a US Federal criminal offence (not a 'misdemeanour', rather a felony) to export them from the USA without an appropriate US State Department export licence. Dies aren't so affected ... yet!

The RCBS website online sales section used to allow the direct ordering and delivery of tools worldwide until not too long ago, then was changed to say the company would no longer take foreign orders. Many of the smaller die manufacturers routinely ignore email requests from the UK and if you telephone them say they have a policy of not taking foreign orders now. Everybody is spooked by ITAR and it's easier to say no to direct foreign customer supply nowadays.

As previously mentioned it was great years ago you could almost buy anything and have it shipped over but times have changed, also don't forget it's not just import duty you will have to pay parcel force may also want some of your hard earned to bring it to your door.

Ring a few dealers over here play them against each other and you may well save your £100 or put an add in the wanted section and build your kit up that way.

You can't get powder and primers abroad.

If people don't support the British gun trade who sell sundries....you may find one day that we no longer bother.

I have a small fortune sat on the shelves in brass, powder, bullets and primers. The margins are minuscule, they are simply there for customers when they call in for their guns etc.

The money would do me far more good invested in Barrels, actions and tools.

Not a moan...simply a statement of fact.

what are you after?

Spud.

Hi. Do you mean me?

You are sorting already Mate, well most of it.

The thing I am still pondering is the Hornady cartridge reloading manual ninth edition. Cabelas and Walmart had it at $24.00.

Both companies refuse to send to UK. I would love to know why.

ATB Bryan.

Spud.

Hi. Do you mean me?

You are sorting already Mate, well most of it.

The thing I am still pondering is the Hornady cartridge reloading manual ninth edition. Cabelas and Walmart had it at $24.00.

Both companies refuse to send to UK. I would love to know why.

ATB Bryan.

At $24 it would probably cost more than the book to send it?

Im all for supporting UK business as i am a Uk business owner admittedly, although not in this industry, yet... The only problem you can't seem to get anything over here that without paying through the nose for it. I understand people have to make a mark up and a living from what they sell and i always go to my locals even if i can get it from Amazon for 2/3rds the price even though its in total contrast to my business ethics. Just in this case £100/£150 difference is hard to look away from.

i meant hunter and i have the manual in stock

Im getting into reloading and i'm looking at getting a full kit up and running. Iv been liking the RCBS as it seems to be good option and slightly more premium than say Lee. Nothing against Lee stuff, im sure its great but id rather pay bit more and getting a little extra. I'm more than open if people have stuff for sale.

You can't get powder and primers abroad.

If people don't support the British gun trade who sell sundries....you may find one day that we no longer bother.

I have a small fortune sat on the shelves in brass, powder, bullets and primers. The margins are minuscule, they are simply there for customers when they call in for their guns etc.

The money would do me far more good invested in Barrels, actions and tools.

Not a moan...simply a statement of fact.

Agree with Baldie here. The issue is plain to see - how many high street gunshops have we lost over the last 20 years? Who lives anywhere near a gunshop?

We are lucky to have two shops at Diggle Ranges - otherwise my closest shop is Hannam's Reloading - an 80mile round trip.

Everyone wants the best value for their 'hard-earned' but I'm afraid it's 'use it or lose it' guys.

Buy your press on line if you must but, be prepared for a long journey for that tub of powder!

Lets not forget that US online prices are quoted without any sales tax, so add 20% VAT in UK for retail prices

If you look at the UK Nett price and the very low $ to £ at the moment,

Cheers

Mik

Lets not forget that US online prices are quoted without any sales tax, so add 20% VAT in UK for retail prices

If you look at the UK Nett price and the very low $ to £ at the moment,

Cheers

Mik

You're right, all states add sales tax for anything purchased within that state, I believe in AZ this year it was around 9.5%

Last year I bought a Dillon 650 and brought it back as my 2nd bag, and also did so the previous year with a SL900.

Mind you I know the people at Dillon and they always look after us, and besides they don't have a properly set up dealer in the UK.

"If people don't support the British gun trade who sell sundries....you may find one day that we no longer bother."

I think we all would prefer to buy from UK shops. I also own a UK business and agree how important it is to maintain our own industry as a whole.

But - the reality is that I can (and do so for work as well) buy goods from the US and other places around the world at a much lower price, even after import duty, shipping and VAT. Frequently from the US the components for work arrive quicker / cheaper by Fedex than I can get them from 50 miles away! And from a US retail shop, not a factory or warehouse. I have to admire the US retail industry in general as they frequently do things much better than UK, particularly eshops.

Industry works both ways, if a market sector (shooting) prices too high, then sales typically reduce. Which drives up prices as overheads are amortised across smaller sales volumes. A chicken and egg situation. But who will break the cycle? The industry generally has more influence than the consumer to do this.

I can see a customers point on pricing, as it's not their job to keep someone elses business profitable at their expense. Business will not reduce pricing if customers keep buying at inflated prices. That's just an unpalatable reality of business.

Although I always buy local even if its a few £ more. As most people will. But sometimes the prices are absolutely taking the P***.

Archived