Whats your stalking Rifle

Guest wireviz

I am only a recreational stalker but am very thankful when i can go!!!!! :wacko:

I love my 6PPC for roe and fallow and have used the 6.5-284 on reds!!!!

But i must say the inherent accuracy of the 6PPC gives me all the confidence i need in placing the shot!!!

Saying that thought any accurate rifle in any caliber should do!!! <_<DSCF3089.jpgstalking2005004.jpgDSCF1585.jpgDSCF1534.jpgDSCF1400.jpg

With the exception of the last photo which is the 6.5-284 , the rest are the Sako 6PPC!!!!

All the best..............

RAY...................... :D:P

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

thought I'd join in:

main rifle is a Sako 75 IV Hunter L/h in 6.5x55, as it came out of the box

here it is:

3rddeer.jpg

Also deer legal is my 6mmBR (Tikka M590 LH, Border barrel 23' 1:9 twist):

6mmBRJEardley090508.jpg

no deer taken with it (yet!)

Best wishes,

Finman

Hi,

thought I'd join in:

main rifle is a Sako 75 IV Hunter L/h in 6.5x55, as it came out of the box

here it is:

3rddeer.jpg

Also deer legal is my 6mmBR (Tikka M590 LH, Border barrel 23' 1:9 twist):

6mmBRJEardley090508.jpg

no deer taken with it (yet!)

Best wishes,

Finman

Hi Finman,

Shall look forward to hear how you get on with the 6BR on deer!!!

Any ideas what bullets you plan to use???

All the best...................

RAY................................. :D:P

Hi Finman,

Shall look forward to hear how you get on with the 6BR on deer!!!

Any ideas what bullets you plan to use???

All the best...................

RAY................................. ;):P

Hi Ray,

At the moment the best performing bullet (in terms of accuracy and deer-legal power) is the 87gn family of Hornady: BTHP, SR, and of course, VMax all exit the tube at 3000fps or therabouts and just about make it over 1700ftlbs (31.8gn Varget, Fed205M, Lapua brass). So they will be the natural choice. However the rifle, scope and moderator assembly is around 14 pounds and i don't fancy carrying that around the wood all day, hence I have been carrying the much lighter and pleasant to shoot 6.5x55. Nevertheless, I anticipate to take the BR out for some high-seat time when I get the chance, and, of course, I shall let you know what the story was :D

My friend Zaitsev, much like your good self, is also shooting them with his 6PPC and swears by the calibre, so I hope that I shall also have no problems with my BR...

all the best,

Finman

Hi Ray,

At the moment the best performing bullet (in terms of accuracy and deer-legal power) is the 87gn family of Hornady: BTHP, SR, and of course, VMax all exit the tube at 3000fps or therabouts and just about make it over 1700ftlbs (31.8gn Varget, Fed205M, Lapua brass). So they will be the natural choice. However the rifle, scope and moderator assembly is around 14 pounds and i don't fancy carrying that around the wood all day, hence I have been carrying the much lighter and pleasant to shoot 6.5x55. Nevertheless, I anticipate to take the BR out for some high-seat time when I get the chance, and, of course, I shall let you know what the story was :P

My friend Zaitsev, much like your good self, is also shooting them with his 6PPC and swears by the calibre, so I hope that I shall also have no problems with my BR...

all the best,

Finman

Thanks for the reply Finman,

I would think you will find much like the 6PPC , that your 6BR will pretty much shoot most 6mm bullets very well........... :D

Understand about the weight issue and like you say a good high seat / low seat tool............... ;)

Oh yes , just to let you know i have picked up another Sako A1 custom in 6PPC and has a medium contour barrel and is very light so shall be testing some deer loads in the future!!! :D

All the best.....................

RAY.............................. :D :D

Thanks for the reply Finman,

I would think you will find much like the 6PPC , that your 6BR will pretty much shoot most 6mm bullets very well........... :P

Understand about the weight issue and like you say a good high seat / low seat tool............... :D

Oh yes , just to let you know i have picked up another Sako A1 custom in 6PPC and has a medium contour barrel and is very light so shall be testing some deer loads in the future!!! :D

All the best.....................

RAY.............................. :D;)

Bet it was the one advertised in Shooting Sports for the last 2-3 months... if only i was right handed!

My 6mmBR has shot any bullet that I put through it under .5inch and, trust me, I am no miracle worker when it comes to reloading, I learned everything as I went along. I am leaning towards the 87gn bullets from the point of view of accuracy, legality (as i can make 1700ftlbs) and ballistic behaviour.

will be great if you told us the results of the new toy!

best wishes,

Finman

Finman, your mate Zaitsev swears (a lot at times) by..... 6ppc.... also 308win...300win mag....and various other pill pushers when the mood takes him.... and you can tell him I said so :rolleyes:

BTW.

700 action

HS lite tac' stock

Timney trigger

24" 5R border barrel 7-08rem

S5 ultra mod

Loopy 4.5-14x50

I'd post a prety piccy but I'm shite at it, so I won't......

thought i'd also join in,

Up till now iv been using my Tikka M55 sporter with i biathalon stock in 308 for everything

DSC00123.jpg

PIC00567.jpg

The photo below is of me and my very first deer, a small roe doe shot at 180 yards

PIC00443.jpg

As i have now got a 6BR (very much the same as finmans) Tikka 590, 24" walther match barrel 1in8 twist and as yet have only shot one roe buck with it, but by the way he went down im looking forward to aiming it at the bigger stuff somtime this summer!

Finman, your mate Zaitsev swears (a lot at times) by..... 6ppc.... also 308win...300win mag....and various other pill pushers when the mood takes him.... and you can tell him I said so :rolleyes:

BTW.

700 action

HS lite tac' stock

Timney trigger

24" 5R border barrel 7-08rem

S5 ultra mod

Loopy 4.5-14x50

I'd post a prety piccy but I'm shite at it, so I won't......

Ratty,

the way he was shooting (or shall I say hurling lead in a random pattern) yesterday, the only thing he did was swear a lot! Indeed I shall tell him! Wait till he gets his 6mmRemAI, and then we will not hear the last of it :D :D :D

best wishes,

Finman

Guest varmartin

I don`t have a `stalking rifle`but I do use my ` sniping` rifles for stalking. :rolleyes:

This one is a Custom Rem actioned 6MMBR Norma, with all the bits including a Loopy scope.

img1988jh8.jpg

Sako L579, 243 win, 1968 made and still good. S&B 3-12 x 50 and a nice spiker for the larder :rolleyes:

scan0003.jpg

Also zeronig the 270w Sako M995 TRGS with 4-16 x 50 S&B single set trigger and excellent accuracy.

scan0001.jpg

Redfox

scan0001.jpg

The good old Black and Decker Workmate

With a few heavy sandbags, can be used as a clamp for bench testing rimfires. Once created a "rabbit burrow" in a bank in my wife's garden from this, much to her disgust.. :rolleyes:

Chris NZ

I don`t have a `stalking rifle`but I do use my ` sniping` rifles for stalking. :D

This one is a Custom Rem actioned 6MMBR Norma, with all the bits including a Loopy scope.

img1988jh8.jpg

what do snipers use to stalk????

4-6 feet max from camera man and I didnt really bother to veg up real good, just a few leaves

2005_1210CamoTest0069.jpg

workandplay160508010.jpg

and the canon

deer038.jpg

Bet it was the one advertised in Shooting Sports for the last 2-3 months... if only i was right handed!

My 6mmBR has shot any bullet that I put through it under .5inch and, trust me, I am no miracle worker when it comes to reloading, I learned everything as I went along. I am leaning towards the 87gn bullets from the point of view of accuracy, legality (as i can make 1700ftlbs) and ballistic behaviour.

will be great if you told us the results of the new toy!

best wishes,

Finman

Hi Finman ,

The rifle i bought was advertised on guntrader and seen it whilst visiting silent and varmartin - the more i thought about the rifle , the more i knew i should by it!!!! :D

When i do the testing i shall let you know the results!!! :P

Keep them pictures and specs going lads its becoming a very interesting thread!!!!

All the best...............

RAY..................................

• 6 years later...

100_0703.jpg

My lovely 260 Rem built by Baldie...suits me for stalking and comps (MQC / RRC) where I have to move!

Archived