Anyone reloading for .17 Hornet?

Sam17H

Yes there is a difference in load data which is certainly a concern as that implies the powders are different.

I have yet to find some Lovex D063 but when I do I will post findings.

I've looked at both in QuickLOAD and they have very different properties (none are the same). Accurate 1680 is considerably slower in its burn rate for example. If QuickLOAD's figures and maths can be trusted, both can be used in the 17 Hornet, but have different max charge weights

I've looked at both in QuickLOAD and they have very different properties (none are the same). Accurate 1680 is considerably slower in its burn rate for example. If QuickLOAD's figures and maths can be trusted, both can be used in the 17 Hornet, but have different max charge weights

Quite.

Though I'm a fan of Quickload it also shows differences between certain powders which are one and the same, such as ADI AR 2207 and Hodgdon 4198.

Yes, that does seem strange. As I am aware he has his own bomb calorimeter and produces many of the propellant vivacity figures himself. That or he relies on data supplied to him by the powder manufactures. Of course, the vivacity of the propellants does change from batch to batch, though it shouldn't change too much. Also there's potentially the age of the propellant tested being a factor too.

Hi,

I am new to this cartridge, most of my hunting has been with the 7x57 and 375 H&H. I have had a 22 rimfire for about 50 years ! but have recently had an abundance of rabbits. As I now live on the edge of the village. I am not finding the 22 rimfire ideal, with through- shots ricocheting, so have sold it and bought a 17 Hornet. I notice that many of you are using the 25 grain bullet. Is this for better penetration or less wind deflection ? I have thoroughly enjoyed all your comments and discoveries, and have learned a lot from them. Keep them coming.

Marcher.

It would seem that Explosia makes Lovex D063, and currently as sold as such. It also used to be sold as Accurate 1680 as per my old tub, but 1680 in the new style tub is made in the USA by another manufacturer. That would explain the different load data and QL performance.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Lovex D063 (same tubs and markings as BigKev's photos). At the moment I am pushing a 20 grain pill with 12.1 grains of powder and it is giving me 3525 fps through a 24" barrel.

As I don't have a great deal of this powder remaining I going to move to either Lil' Gun or N120 when it runs out. Do you guys have any load data for these powders?

Cheers.

Tremo

• 4 months later...

Just found some D063 and after reading that its not the same as AA1680 , this is off Explosia loading info

(quote)

D063
High density, double base, ball propellant similar
to Accurate1680
Might get tub or two to try now My Hornet is staying with me

Archived