Anyone reloading for .17 Hornet?

Sam17H

I was wondering if anyone else on here has a .17 Hornet which they reload for? I've found it quite difficult to find good sources of information on this calibre online, so figured we could share our successes with loads and combinations on here.

Sam

It’s good to hear there are a few others out there reloading for the .17 Hornet (and Ackley version).

What is the difference between the 17AH and 17HH? for example, my friend has Quickload and it only lists data for the 17AH, not the 17HH. I was hoping to use it; more for experimentation than anything else, to see what other powders would work well.

I thought I’d give a detailed account of how I’ve got to where I am now regarding loads for the 17 Hornet.

I have an Anschutz model 1730 which had a previous life as a 22Hornet before being re-barrelled with a 1 in 10” twist 24” Walther match grade S/S heavy varmint barrel by Brock and Norris. I bought it with 25 rounds down the new barrel (cock up as the customer wanted a lightweight barrel for walking around so it ended up being sold). The chamber size seems to be on the large side of SAAMI specs from what I have measured.

So far I've developed two excellent well-sub-MOA loads - one for Hornady 20gr V-Max and one for 25gr V-Max.

For the 20gr load I started with Lil' gun as I noted a few people online sharing success stories with this powder. I could not get anywhere near the 10gr max load with pressure signs showing at 9.4gr, and in fact I settled on 9.1gr at a safe 3630fps (the quoted max velocity for a 10gr load). I found the powder quite inconsistent in terms of velocity spread so after a little more research I tried Accurate A1680.

A1680 is superb in this calibre! Book max for the 20gr V-Max (as per Hornady 9th edition manual) suggests 12.4gr and MV of 3750fps. With my rifle I’m getting 3750fps with a load of 12.55gr. (I worked up to find my max load where pressure signs are showing and ended up at 12.8gr compressed and 3880fps!) I carried out Dan Newberry’s Optimum Charge Weight tests for both powder load and seating depth with my final load being 12.55gr A1680, seated at 1.404” CBTO (factory COAL of 1.710” equates to 1.401” CBTO measurement). These achieve 1/2MOA groups quite consistently with the occasional ¼” 4 shot group at 100yds. Primers used are CCI BR-4 and all cases fireformed, flash hole uniformed/deburred, primer pocket uniformed, neck sized (using a Hornady full length die and shoulder bumped 0.002” and trimmed to 1.340” plus weight sorted to within 0.5gr of each other. Anal I know, but the work pays off!

Over the last 2 weeks concluding on the weekend just gone I have done some load testing with 25gr V-Max bullets. Now these are the most surprising loads of all…

I tried to source some H322 powder which showed the most promising load data for high velocity but instead bought some AA2015BR powder (now Lovex S3060 or something) as it is the nearest thing I could find available. I began testing with this purely over the chronograph to find a max load. Due to the large grains I was only able to achieve 3200fps with the 25gr bullets with ZERO pressure signs. That was a completely full case compressed load. I then turned to the A1680 once again and began testing with this from the recommended start load. 10.9gr is the max listed with 3200fps – ish from memory (load data is conflicting depending upon source. At this load it supposedly only develops 36,000psi chamber pressure). This load came and went, but still zero pressure signs so I carried on. Long story short but I finally got up to partly flattened primers and a slightly sticky bolt lift with velocities of 3611fps and 12.1gr A1680!! Quite incredible that I’d gone that far over book max to reach ‘my’ gun’s max. I’m sure the inevitable flaming will arise from this but do understand I carried this out safely by working up in stages, checking each case for pressure signs and each shot over the chrono, with eye and ear protection worn.

I prepped some loads to start OCW testing and seated at the same depth as my 20gr load, so 1.404” CBTO with loads tested from 11.1-11.9gr in 0.2gr increments. Testing at 200yds last weekend I wasn’t hugely impressed with the accuracy with most groups (5 shots) landing in around 2.5 - 3” but one group at 11.9gr managed 4 shots in ¾” with one flyer another ¾” away from that. There was huge spread in where the bullets were impacting too which surprised me, but no obvious node. I decided to repeat the test around the 11.9gr accurate load and go 0.1gr either side of it (a quick test at 110yds at home one still afternoon). 11.8gr and 11.9gr hit the same spot and 12.0gr impacted ¼” high and right of the previous two loads. Next was time for the bullet seating OCW test.

I loaded 4-5 rounds in 0.005” increments from 1.400” to 1.440” which is the max mag length available, with still around 0.090” jump to lands at that length. Test range was 110yds and I used CCI No: 400 SRP. Starting round robin style after warming and dirtying a previously cleaned barrel from shortest to longest it was quickly evident that 1.400/405/410 were scattering badly, but from 1.415 through to 1.425 the bullets hit the same POI, then moved again at 1.430”. I immediately discounted any further shots in this ‘scatter node’ and continued round robin from 1.415 to 1.430, and again this confirmed a node in this area. Further testing refined it to a node between 1.415 and 1.425 with 1.420 producing the best 5 shot group of 0.6” overall with 4 of the shots in a 0.3” group and the flier being a slightly overcharged round sending the bullet out 70fps faster than the other 4! 1.425 produced a 0.63” 5 shot group and 1.415 a 0.8” group. Chrono data for the 1.420” CBTO group was 3542fps/3546fps/3522fps/3611fps(flier)/3541fps. I’m impressed with the group and the velocity data and going forward will be sticking to the 25gr V-Max bullets for their improved ballistics, higher energy and accuracy.

Hopefully my experiences will provide some assistance to anyone else developing loads for the 17 Hornet. Obviously, what works in my gun will likely be different in another, so use my load data with caution and work up safely as always, and if in doubt, use the available reloading guides.

Sam

Hi mate i really enjoyed your post , i use 25gr v max and h322 at 12.4 grains This is by far the most accurate load i have found so far in my hornet , my chamber is tight tho and i have not been able to get any 1680 yet ,

Glad you enjoyed the read mate. I should add I settled on 11.85gr A1680 for my 25gr v-max load. I'm interested to see how it performs as the weather warms up. I may be backing down the powder charge a tad if I see the velocity increase.

My chamber is quite on the large side and I've found my headspace being quite long. Primers protrude from fire formed cases unless I use a safe load and lube the cases gently. That way they move back against the bolt face and stretch into the chamber neck. I've had the best results doing it this way as it means the shoulder bump then actually has a shoulder to bump back. Non lubed cases take three firings before there's any resistance clambering a fired round and closing the bolt. Another little trick I've learnt from experimenting :-)

Sam

Glad you enjoyed the read mate. I should add I settled on 11.85gr A1680 for my 25gr v-max load. I'm interested to see how it performs as the weather warms up. I may be backing down the powder charge a tad if I see the velocity increase.

My chamber is quite on the large side and I've found my headspace being quite long. Primers protrude from fire formed cases unless I use a safe load and lube the cases gently. That way they move back against the bolt face and stretch into the chamber neck. I've had the best results doing it this way as it means the shoulder bump then actually has a shoulder to bump back. Non lubed cases take three firings before there's any resistance clambering a fired round and closing the bolt. Another little trick I've learnt from experimenting :-)

Sam

yea il rob that info iff you dont mind what do you shoot with yours ? I got mine as i could reload it and shoot crows and rabbit t a better range thant the hmr and i was fed up off bad hmr amo, bu i do shoot fox to 200 with it reg,

yea il rob that info iff you dont mind what do you shoot with yours ? I got mine as i could reload it and shoot crows and rabbit t a better range thant the hmr and i was fed up off bad hmr amo, bu i do shoot fox to 200 with it reg,

Rob away mate!

I got mine for the same reasons as yourself - I have an HMR and .22LR and found the HMR just didn't have enough guts beyond 175yds for those longer range rabbits. Had a few hit n runs. I always head shot foxes with it at sensible ranges and never had one run off from that, although one chest shot fox at 60yds ran away on me so I maintained head shots only. Loving the extended range of the hornet and likewise the reloading aspect. I'm reloading for the same price per round as the HMR, so that's now up for sale.

Looking to get a nice sized farm to help out with foxes and other vermin soon, just got to do the rounds and visit some local farms in Surrey

San

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sam,

Really enjoyed reading your experiences reloading the .17 Hornet. I too reload .17 Hornet. I use CCI small rifle primers, 10.4 to a max of 11 grains of H4198 with a 25 grain VMAX bullet.

From what I have read previously, it sounds as though it would take nothing to push things over the top. That said it was interesting to read Sams experience with it. When I'm reloading my cases I use a powder drop which isn't very consistant into a perfectly cleaned and prepared .17 Hornet case, using the same case throughout my batch of reloads and then to confirm I empty that powder from the case into a tray on the scales. I use a powder trickler where required to bring it up to the desired weight. It's a slow process but for it ensures consistency and piece of mind.

The down side for me, is that I have been doing a full length resize of my fired cases when normally once fired I would only neck size. Where would be the best place to get a decapping and neck sizing die.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the load I get from the H4198 powder, it's been very consistent and I've had no signs of over pressure!

Hi Sam,

Really enjoyed reading your experiences reloading the .17 Hornet. I too reload .17 Hornet. I use CCI small rifle primers, 10.4 to a max of 11 grains of H4198 with a 25 grain VMAX bullet.

From what I have read previously, it sounds as though it would take nothing to push things over the top. That said it was interesting to read Sams experience with it. When I'm reloading my cases I use a powder drop which isn't very consistant into a perfectly cleaned and prepared .17 Hornet case, using the same case throughout my batch of reloads and then to confirm I empty that powder from the case into a tray on the scales. I use a powder trickler where required to bring it up to the desired weight. It's a slow process but for it ensures consistency and piece of mind.

The down side for me, is that I have been doing a full length resize of my fired cases when normally once fired I would only neck size. Where would be the best place to get a decapping and neck sizing die.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the load I get from the H4198 powder, it's been very consistent and I've had no signs of over pressure!

Hi Eddie,

Have you any idea what sort of velocities you're getting with the 25gr VMax and your load? It's good to hear from other people's experiences for sure with this round.

I bought a neck sizing die with decapping pin (Redding die, around £40 delivered) from Reloading Solutions in Oxfordshire, so give them a try. If not, Hannams reloading in Leeds may be able to help? Both have been excellent with me. I thought I was onto a winner with the new neck sizing die, however I found the cases would stretch quite quickly into the headspace; normally within 2-3 firings and would then require full length resizing. For ages I've had a shoulder bump die on back order with Reloading Solutions, but it hasn't arrived on a shipment as of yet. I think it's either an RCBS or Redding die. Anyway, I gave up waiting and went the 'custom' route as follows:

I was having problems with case life (running hot loads so not unusual) but they were either partially separating on rare occasions, or showing signs of the bright stretch mark just above the web, indicating headspace issues or over-sizing. Of course they were then retired. Now I know my rifle seems to have a 'clowns pocket' of a chamber at the large end of SAAMI specs, but I was convinced that the excessive case stretch / resizing repetition was the main culprit, and that if I could fireform a case and keep it's dimensions I'd likely extend case life further than the 4-5 firings I'd been experiencing.

I took my Hornady full length resizing die, spun it in a drill attached to the decapping rod adjuster (with decapping pin and expander ball removed) and using 240/400/600 grit SC sandpaper with a bit of gun oil as lube I carefully reamed out the inside of the die so that it would pretty much match the size of my fired cases. By spinning the die it keeps things even when enlarging it. I intended to limit the full length reworking of the brass above the web area, where I see a bulge from the fired cases (do you notice this also?). In essence it's made me a shoulder bump die so I can retain the fireformed case dimensions.

My chamber is 0.301" wide measured just in front of the case web where the bulge is, and I found the Hornady full length resizing die would squeeze the cases back down to 0.2945", so around 6 thou difference! I reamed out the die slowly and kept checking by running a fired case through it and taking the measurements, which I continued until the cases were coming out at 0.3005. To finish, I polished the chamber up using a small strip of Scotchbrite pad and oil to give a mirror-like finish. It's spot on for comfortable chambering but retains the fired case size (although I'm still squeezing the case down near the neck by around 3 thou under the fired case dimensions as the sanding process was more effective near the die base). I have set the die length to give me a case that chambers just with a hint of snugness as the bolt closes, so there's minimal bumping of the shoulder when resizing.

Seems to be working so far accuracy-wise

Hi Sam,

Your post has been a very interesting read and thank you for the info.

I don't currently have a velocity reading for my 25grain VMAX load. I can say that so far I have no indications of bolt stickiness or sign of over pressure on the fired cases. Accuracy at 100 Metres has been good. I’m hoping to get down the range this next week so hopefully I’ll have some velocity readings to post.

• 2 months later...

It’s good to hear there are a few others out there reloading for the .17 Hornet (and Ackley version).

What is the difference between the 17AH and 17HH? for example, my friend has Quickload and it only lists data for the 17AH, not the 17HH. I was hoping to use it; more for experimentation than anything else, to see what other powders would work well.

I thought I’d give a detailed account of how I’ve got to where I am now regarding loads for the 17 Hornet.

I have an Anschutz model 1730 which had a previous life as a 22Hornet before being re-barrelled with a 1 in 10” twist 24” Walther match grade S/S heavy varmint barrel by Brock and Norris. I bought it with 25 rounds down the new barrel (cock up as the customer wanted a lightweight barrel for walking around so it ended up being sold). The chamber size seems to be on the large side of SAAMI specs from what I have measured.

So far I've developed two excellent well-sub-MOA loads - one for Hornady 20gr V-Max and one for 25gr V-Max.

For the 20gr load I started with Lil' gun as I noted a few people online sharing success stories with this powder. I could not get anywhere near the 10gr max load with pressure signs showing at 9.4gr, and in fact I settled on 9.1gr at a safe 3630fps (the quoted max velocity for a 10gr load). I found the powder quite inconsistent in terms of velocity spread so after a little more research I tried Accurate A1680.

A1680 is superb in this calibre! Book max for the 20gr V-Max (as per Hornady 9th edition manual) suggests 12.4gr and MV of 3750fps. With my rifle I’m getting 3750fps with a load of 12.55gr. (I worked up to find my max load where pressure signs are showing and ended up at 12.8gr compressed and 3880fps!) I carried out Dan Newberry’s Optimum Charge Weight tests for both powder load and seating depth with my final load being 12.55gr A1680, seated at 1.404” CBTO (factory COAL of 1.710” equates to 1.401” CBTO measurement). These achieve 1/2MOA groups quite consistently with the occasional ¼” 4 shot group at 100yds. Primers used are CCI BR-4 and all cases fireformed, flash hole uniformed/deburred, primer pocket uniformed, neck sized (using a Hornady full length die and shoulder bumped 0.002” and trimmed to 1.340” plus weight sorted to within 0.5gr of each other. Anal I know, but the work pays off!

Over the last 2 weeks concluding on the weekend just gone I have done some load testing with 25gr V-Max bullets. Now these are the most surprising loads of all…

I tried to source some H322 powder which showed the most promising load data for high velocity but instead bought some AA2015BR powder (now Lovex S3060 or something) as it is the nearest thing I could find available. I began testing with this purely over the chronograph to find a max load. Due to the large grains I was only able to achieve 3200fps with the 25gr bullets with ZERO pressure signs. That was a completely full case compressed load. I then turned to the A1680 once again and began testing with this from the recommended start load. 10.9gr is the max listed with 3200fps – ish from memory (load data is conflicting depending upon source. At this load it supposedly only develops 36,000psi chamber pressure). This load came and went, but still zero pressure signs so I carried on. Long story short but I finally got up to partly flattened primers and a slightly sticky bolt lift with velocities of 3611fps and 12.1gr A1680!! Quite incredible that I’d gone that far over book max to reach ‘my’ gun’s max. I’m sure the inevitable flaming will arise from this but do understand I carried this out safely by working up in stages, checking each case for pressure signs and each shot over the chrono, with eye and ear protection worn.

I prepped some loads to start OCW testing and seated at the same depth as my 20gr load, so 1.404” CBTO with loads tested from 11.1-11.9gr in 0.2gr increments. Testing at 200yds last weekend I wasn’t hugely impressed with the accuracy with most groups (5 shots) landing in around 2.5 - 3” but one group at 11.9gr managed 4 shots in ¾” with one flyer another ¾” away from that. There was huge spread in where the bullets were impacting too which surprised me, but no obvious node. I decided to repeat the test around the 11.9gr accurate load and go 0.1gr either side of it (a quick test at 110yds at home one still afternoon). 11.8gr and 11.9gr hit the same spot and 12.0gr impacted ¼” high and right of the previous two loads. Next was time for the bullet seating OCW test.

I loaded 4-5 rounds in 0.005” increments from 1.400” to 1.440” which is the max mag length available, with still around 0.090” jump to lands at that length. Test range was 110yds and I used CCI No: 400 SRP. Starting round robin style after warming and dirtying a previously cleaned barrel from shortest to longest it was quickly evident that 1.400/405/410 were scattering badly, but from 1.415 through to 1.425 the bullets hit the same POI, then moved again at 1.430”. I immediately discounted any further shots in this ‘scatter node’ and continued round robin from 1.415 to 1.430, and again this confirmed a node in this area. Further testing refined it to a node between 1.415 and 1.425 with 1.420 producing the best 5 shot group of 0.6” overall with 4 of the shots in a 0.3” group and the flier being a slightly overcharged round sending the bullet out 70fps faster than the other 4! 1.425 produced a 0.63” 5 shot group and 1.415 a 0.8” group. Chrono data for the 1.420” CBTO group was 3542fps/3546fps/3522fps/3611fps(flier)/3541fps. I’m impressed with the group and the velocity data and going forward will be sticking to the 25gr V-Max bullets for their improved ballistics, higher energy and accuracy.

Hopefully my experiences will provide some assistance to anyone else developing loads for the 17 Hornet. Obviously, what works in my gun will likely be different in another, so use my load data with caution and work up safely as always, and if in doubt, use the available reloading guides.

Sam

Hi, the Hornady .17 Hornet is in the 2014 Quickload update. Ken

Cracking thread! Haven't bothered with the 25's in mine yet.. but this certainly has given me some inspiration!!

Shooting the 20's out of mine with some 120 behind them. Amazing accuracy but a little on the slow side.. short barrel probably not helping but it still pops factory stuff out at 3550 so I could try for a bit more I suppose. ...

• 1 year later...

This thread has been a great help to me developing a 25gn load for my Hornet.

So far the best powder I had found was N120, after trying that and H4198 and I4198. Accuracy and speed was OK with Berger Varmint bullets, but I felt that better was possible. I then tried AA1680 and have found it is a massive improvement. A quick OCW development has shown my rifle has a stable node around 11.6gn with the bullets seated to 1.76" OAL. I haven't chronoed the load yet but I suspect somewhere around 3400fps.

I just need to see if I can find some more AA1680 AKA Lovex D063. Any ideas where I might look?

• 4 months later...

So far the best powder I had found was N120, after trying that and H4198 and I4198. Accuracy and speed was OK with Berger Varmint bullets, but I felt that better was possible. I then tried AA1680 and have found it is a massive improvement. A quick OCW development has shown my rifle has a stable node around 11.6gn with the bullets seated to 1.76" OAL. I haven't chronoed the load yet but I suspect somewhere around 3400fps.

I just need to see if I can find some more AA1680 AKA Lovex D063. Any ideas where I might look?

Did you find some? I, too, am looking.

My friend is also thinking about getting a 17 Hornet, so I've been doing a bit of powder research for him. Though DO63 was marketed as being alike to AA1680, it's not the same. Putting it into QuickLOAD shows there's a vast difference, with 9.8 grains being a middle pressure load and only giving about 3220 fps in a 24" with the 25 gr V-Max. It seems DO63 is a little slower than Lil'Gun.

With AA1680 at the same rough pressure, 10.8 grains results in a similar velocity.

You can of course up the powder load, but pressure are getting high and a tiny case, a few 1/10s of a grain can result in an over pressure of the round.

Looking at some other it looks like Reload Swiss RS36 is suitable, as is N120, Winchester W296, along with Hodgdon H110, Hodgdon Lill'Gun and Hodgdon 4227.

Real world testing is needed as always, as QuickLOAD is just a guide.

DO63 and AA1680 are not the same thing. As stated in their reloading manual.

D063 High density, double base, ball propellant similar to Accurate 1680 suitable for 7.62 x 39 cartridge. Also suitable for small capacity cartridges such as the T/CU series, the .222 Remington and the .223 Remington with lighter bullets.

You can also compare their loads too. AA1680 with a 123 grain bullet in the 7.62x39 M43 uses 28 grains maximum, DO63 only uses 25.0 grains for about the same velocity. Put 28 grains in and it's probably kaboom time!

Explosia did make a lot of powders for Accurate in the past, but that doesn't mean the two are the same. Hence the word 'similar'.

There's also a warning of Accurate Arms website about this issue.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/warnings/european-warning/

I would trust the manufacturer, not the reseller.attachicon.gif20161121_145022.jpg

Are you suggesting the reseller is adding the sticker to the A1680 tub?

I would trust the manufacturer, not the reseller.attachicon.gif20161121_145022.jpg

Are you suggesting the reseller is adding the sticker to the A1680 tub?

Did you find some Lovex DO63 and was it equivalent (load, velocity, pressure signs, accuracy) to your A1680 load?

From the label it is clear that the powder is made by Explosia and licensed under the name D063, but in this case it is being sold as 1680. This means that as far as the manufacturer is concerned the two powders are one and the same.

That may be a fair assumption, but it is an assumption all the same. It doesn't explain the significant difference in max load for same cartridge, nor the disclaimer on the website of A1680.

I've been offered some Lovex D063 to try, though that won't be for a while.

Did you find some Lovex DO63 and was it equivalent (load, velocity, pressure signs, accuracy) to your A1680 load?

That may be a fair assumption, but it is an assumption all the same. It doesn't explain the significant difference in max load for same cartridge, nor the disclaimer on the website of A1680.

I've been offered some Lovex D063 to try, though that won't be for a while.

Yes there is a difference in load data which is certainly a concern as that implies the powders are different.

I have yet to find some Lovex D063 but when I do I will post findings.

Archived