6BR Benchmark Loads

Jay1

I've just got my RPA re-barreled to 6br and I'm hoping to shoot 105g - 107g using Benchmark.

The only powder available to me is Benchmark and H4350 so I'm hoping to get a load with one of them.

I'm using Benchmark in my FTR rifle with good success so going to start with that, I've never used 4350.

Anyone here using Benchmark with 105-107g??

I'm going to start with 28g working up in .3 increments....

Any advice / input greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Jay

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its quite fast for that application. And H4350 is pretty slow but I would probably start with H4350. At least you will struggle to get enough powder into the case to ever have a pressure problem. FWIW a BRX or Dasher uses around 36gr of H4350 to get approx 3000fps in a 30 inch barrel. This is usually crunching powder when seating a bullet. Take a look at the ADI powder or hodgdon data online to get a load. ADI 2209 is the same as H4350 as its made here in Aus and exported.

Thanks for replies lads.

Ive found load data for benchmark and heads up to 80g but nothing for anything heavier.

I want to get the 105s up to 2900fps and was hoping someone has tried this combo. I'll be spending all day Friday on the range so hopefully I'll run into a sweet spot.

I think benchmark is more versatile than most think, Ive used to load 69gSMK in my .223 and currently use to shoot 185gJugs in my FTR rifle.

Fingers crossed!!

Jay,you seem to be hellbent on doing it the wrong way-there are plenty powders far more suited than Benchmark and H4350 for the 6BR-well established,tried and tested.....it is unlikely you will get best results with powders with marginal burn rates......have a look at eg Accurate Shooter website,in the 6BR section-even such an American site has no mention of your chosen powders.....what does that suggest?Most powders will expel bullets from barrels,but 105 at 2900 is a fairly ambitious load in 6BR,and you will have little chance of achieving it with any sensible pressures with non optimal powders....you seem to be on course to reinvent a possibly wobbly wheel.Why-there are tried and true options-vihtavuori eg is readily available in UK,and well used (cheaper too,as a bonus). Tread carefully,but don't expect to do your rifle full justice....

gbal

Gbal, thanks for the reply.

Seems 2900fps might not be a realistic goal by the sounds of it...

I agree 100% on your powder choice comment - problem is reloading in Ireland isn't as freely available as it is in the UK and as a result the only powders I have to work with are the 2 I mention. There are no other powders available to me so I'm just trying to make the most of what I got, not trying to do it the hard way / different way or trying to reinvent anything.

You can't walk in to a shop here and buy a tub of n140 and 2 tubs of 550, they are not sold here.

Thats why I'm using benchmark in my ftr rifle, THB though that rifle shoots superb!

I get 3100fps with 87gr vmax with v135

2750fps with 105 amax with varget

105's varget RL15 v150 seem more popular powders to use

I use benchmark but in my 223 ackley

Gaz

I get 3100fps with 87gr vmax with v135

2750fps with 105 amax with varget

105's varget RL15 v150 seem more popular powders to use

I use benchmark but in my 223 ackley

Gaz

Thanks Gaz,

very useful info that puts my expectations into perspective. If I had the choice, like so many others I'd be using Varget in both my 6BR and FTR rig.

Did you find that 2750fps was the sweet spot for the 105s? Did you run them harder??

You will probably find an accurate load for certain but would not think you will get anywhere near 2900 with benchmark safely,,,2750-2800 is a nice place to be,,,think you will get that ok,,but take care,,,,O

TBH the only reason I had 2900 as my goal was from what I read, I seemed to find most having good results running them from 2880-2920. Accuracy is far more important then speed IMO and if I get decent results going much slower it doesn't matter much. Once I have enough speed to reach out to the distances I want to shoot.

Thanks Gaz,

very useful info that puts my expectations into perspective. If I had the choice, like so many others I'd be using Varget in both my 6BR and FTR rig.

Did you find that 2750fps was the sweet spot for the 105s? Did you run them harder??

2750 worked out to be best load, don't waste time chasing speed, 50-100 fps here and there is nothing, great accuracy beats speed any day of the week, sometimes your lucky and do get both, but 2900 seems tad to much

Gaz

2750 worked out to be best load, don't waste time chasing speed, 50-100 fps here and there is nothing, great accuracy beats speed any day of the week, sometimes your lucky and do get both, but 2900 seems tad to much

Gaz

Your spot on Gaz, see my post above!!

When I had access to varget I had the 185g Jugs going 2840fps in my 308FTR, since using benchmark I have a few loads that work and I'm running the lightest one which is considerably slower!

Jay,thank you for the update on your options-I just was not aware of the limited retail availability for you.Is it really the case that none of the established 6BR powders can be had.....and some here think hard done by when Varget is scarce (even though V fills the gap).

As you note,2900 fps is pretty high-possible in hot loaded custom actions and long barrels,,maybe...but as the other posts point out,short of top level competition,the very top velocities offer very little extra,and nothing worthwhile if accuracy suffers (though that is not a given).

You should get a decent load,without accuracy compromise....as varget starved afficionados have found out over here,maybe better.

I suppose your situation simplifies load development,if you look at it that way! The 6BR may well be quite tolerant on powder..

Good luck...

g

you should be able to get 2900fps with n150 out of a 28" barrel with a 105

im using 31.8gns n150 with a berger 108 and getting 2850fps with room for more i will test some more when the better weather comes back .

Bruce lenton[mole-e] is using 105 bergers and n150 im sure hes at 2900+

you should be able to get 2900fps with n150 out of a 28" barrel with a 105

im using 31.8gns n150 with a berger 108 and getting 2850fps with room for more i will test some more when the better weather comes back .

Bruce lenton[mole-e] is using 105 bergers and n150 im sure hes at 2900+

Hi Jay

As GaryW says, I am using N150 and 105gr Berger VLD's in 3 different 6BR's all of which are 1:8 twist barrels.

I have played with different powder charges in all 3 and can get 2900+ out of all 3 of them safely.

On one of them I can get up to 3000+fps, but I am not publishing the load as I know that the action in question handles the pressure very well and would not want anyone to dive straight into trying to get this sort of speed...... I was amazed it could do this during load development!

However 2900 is easily achievable, and all 3 run 28" barrels and have found a sweet spot around 2900-2950fps.

I did not run the super fast load for competition as it didn't give any massive advantage, only used more powder and will burn out the barrel faster.

N150 fills the case very nicely and gives consistently low velocity spreads.

Hope you find this helpful.

Cheers

Bruce

Gary / Bruce,

Good info shared, thanks very much!!

N150 looks to be closer to H4350 than Benchmark which would suggest I'd run out of case capacity using 4350 before getting close to any decent speed so looks like Benchmark is the way to go, for me anyway.

When powder becomes more available here I'll have to try it along with n540 which seems to produce good results also.

Regarding action / pressure - Mine is a RPA Quadlite and I'm confident it will handle whatever I throw at it. I love this action, my FTR rifle is built on one also.

Jay,,,,,I run my my 6BR,s for accuracy and speed second,,,if you want speed move on up in case capacity,,,bit like a motor really turbo/super charge the "F" out of it and die young,,live a bit longer and you cant beat cubes,,,,,O

A solid approach Onehole........once I have enough speed to get out to 1K accurately I'll be happy.

What distance do you shoot with yours??

Onehole, do you mind me asking how much jump you give the 105s? I've seen some lads jam them while others seat 20thou off... Just wondering what works for you.

Onehole, do you mind me asking how much jump you give the 105s? I've seen some lads jam them while others seat 20thou off... Just wondering what works for you.

Only ever jammed when playing with vlds,,,,I run and work up everything else now with 5thou off never had a problem finding consistent accuracy here and I have practically nil runout on the bullet heads.Unless one is having to mag feed I cant understand why anyone would want to be further off the lands assuming they can be accurate in measuring the position.Having said that you really do need to work with a device fitted with a modified fired case or other equally accurate methods.I,m already rambling on sorry,,,,I know one can load from other distances and get excellent results not knocking it you guys but yep 5 thou everytime and everything.Regds,,,O

PS My old 308 didn,t mind 5,10 or 15 thou off just didn,t matter but I think 308 is just a very forgiving cal.

Archived