Recent Projects

Danpd

Haven't put up anything on here in a long long time, so thought i would :-)

First up are some chambering pics of a recent 6.5 SAUM Build

Krieger 8.5 Twist Blank set up in the Tru-Bore Alignment System

14141327937_e60170d409_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Trying out the SSG dual bushing Range Rods..... no longer using these as the 2.75" Interaipd indicator is quicker and more repeatable.

14327847975_3569d752b2_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

14348047633_78f506d788_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Cleaning up the face of the Blank.

14327161404_fc71758a5b_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Tenon turned for Slip fit on recoil lug

14326101772_6c3d289706_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

14141334717_3d691c5f40_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Establishing Thread Major Diameter

14326104682_0bc0ceba76_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

.040 Chamferon the end of the tenon.

14327166574_6c2c74229c_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Check the Pitch Diameter, little bit left to go.

14326107492_2bd25c102a_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Test Fit Action

14141340507_c0b8e0ef07_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

14141342137_a9b4b18f14_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Cut the Counterbore and ID Chamfer.

14326111592_3fccf14bc7_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Chamber pre-bored .010 undersize and .100 short

14326113082_ff058cd5b3_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Checking chamber depth with in house manufactured gauging

14141348367_faf718b69b_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Final polish, and we are there.

14141349857_4dc0b35bb0_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

14141257300_7eaf81d285_b.jpgUntitled

by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

15396950404_7b3fe885b3_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

Shots 5-10 through the barrel

15833464797_2964cbbe24_b.jpgUntitled by Custom Rifle, on Flickr

When I win the lottery it's the first thing I'll do......buy a custom built rifle.

Funny that.

One of my friday night drinking friends has just won 3/4 of a million on the Euro lottery. He lives just round the corner.

Paddy, the trubore system . I,m sure i've seen this on an American site. Does it adjust axially as well ? I,m guessing it must as the chuck jaws don't allow any axial moment so there won't be a rear spider ?

Clocked up at entrance to bore and then further down inside with a long needled verdict ?

Do you rate the Trubore and where did you get it ?

Funny that.

One of my friday night drinking friends has just won 3/4 of a million on the Euro lottery. He lives just round the corner.

Dave,do you think he'll buy an RP accent?

( I had a professor colleague who could speak eighteen european languages,and had nothing interesting to say in any of them) :-)

SSG make the true bore system it works really well for lathes with a long head stock , I have one on my Haas TL1 lathe , I have had the lathe since 2009' and love it .

If you all look up SSG true bore on you tube it will bring up Nathan's work , a good fella with great ideas.

Nice pics by the way

Funny that.

Paddy, the trubore system . I,m sure i've seen this on an American site. Does it adjust axially as well ? I,m guessing it must as the chuck jaws don't allow any axial moment so there won't be a rear spider ?

Clocked up at entrance to bore and then further down inside with a long needled verdict ?

Do you rate the Trubore and where did you get it ?

Just watched the vids on his website, he still uses a rear spider but only to contain any rotational whip.

I've emailed him for some prices and as I'm in AZ in a couple of months time.......

As for range rods, I hate the bloody things, but with a system like this they may finally have merit

Just watched the vids on his website, he still uses a rear spider but only to contain any rotational whip.

I've emailed him for some prices and as I'm in AZ in a couple of months time.......

As for range rods, I hate the bloody things, but with a system like this they may finally have merit

They are about 2400 $ well worth it

$1300 if you buy the Tru Bore backing plate as stand alone - I've already got a Set Tru 6 Jaw.

This system makes a lot of sense - specially for those with lathes who have long headstocks - so great for working on shorter barrels and as the maker says in his video's, there is no stress induced into the machined part as happens if it were held in a fixture in the traditional manner.

Ingenious idea, which i'll probably invest in when I get the second lathe in and running.

As soon as I saw the Tru-Bore it made perfect sense. Rigid workholding and the ability to align barrels axially and radially. You do still need a rear spider or spindle bush to control barrel whip at high RPMs and a workaround to allow bore flushing whilst chambering, but I think it is a fantastic piece of kit for any professional gunsmith.

As soon as I saw the Tru-Bore it made perfect sense. Rigid workholding and the ability to align barrels axially and radially. You do still need a rear spider or spindle bush to control barrel whip at high RPMs and a workaround to allow bore flushing whilst chambering, but I think it is a fantastic piece of kit for any professional gunsmith.

Thats me out then :D

I love this precision work and admire smiths . Id also love to see it being done , what caliber is it ? 6.5 sumink? - oops edit ! Saum ;)

• 5 years later...