Made In England Rifles

ARE THEY ON A CERTIFICATE ?

Exactly my thoughts, the OP didn't make clear. You would know if they were antique or not if you had to declare the details to the FEO for your certificate. I would act on this very fast if you are not sure and don't have them on certificate ....seek advice from someone in the know, maybe speak to a local RFD, or your FEO. More details in your post might clear up any concerns we have raised.

If I were in the UK in this position and did not hold a Firearms or Shotgun Certificate covering them, I would as soon as at all possible take the inherited firearms (well wrapped-up) to a local Registered Firearms Dealer ( a gun-shop, in other words) and leave them there pending futher advice from the dealer and/or the police.

This is because although they are old, they might not qualify as 'antiques' and therefore actually be subject to control under the Firearms Act, so that owning them with the necessary certificates would be a crime.

It isn't clear that the OP is in the UK: but I imagine that similar regulations might apply in other countries.

The hammer action rifle looks like it is a "Rook rifle" of sorts, if so it is an "obsolete caliber" although a lot were converted to .410 shotguns and would therefore need to be on ticket. Get them to an rfd or auction house to find out what exactly they are, they need to be verified by an expert.

Adrian

Archived