.17 Winchester super magnum rimfire

Jamie

I could only find one thread on this here for this round.

As it's now getting on for 18 months old, are we any nearer to getting a rifle and ammo in the UK any time soon?

I've got a slot for a .22 WMR, but I've been holding back, with the hope that the rifles and ammo would arrive in the UK, and I could do a 1 for 1 for the .17 WSMR.

I appreciate the rifle seem to be Savage for this calibre, but I've not heard to many good things about this gun maker. I'd prefer a nice CZ 455 or similar...

Does anyone currently own one? And is the ammo hard to come by?

Thanks

Jamie

It's currently not available in the UK and probably won't be.

The American rifle manufacturers aren't shipping to the UK. And when I spoke to CZ last year, and they said that they won't bother with it as the .17 hornet which they all ready chambered does the same job and is more accurate.

I also asked the question to Winchester...and the reply was a typical American one....along the lines of the British market is so small they aren't interested until the American market has given it a run for the money.

Bottom line up front - it's not available here, because the .17 hornet does the business and some more

It's currently not available in the UK and probably won't be.

The American rifle manufacturers aren't shipping to the UK. And when I spoke to CZ last year, and they said that they won't bother with it as the .17 hornet which they all ready chambered does the same job and is more accurate.

I also asked the question to Winchester...and the reply was a typical American one....along the lines of the British market is so small they aren't interested until the American market has given it a run for the money.

Bottom line up front - it's not available here, because the .17 hornet does the business and some more

And the some!

The 17WSM will do @3000fps with a 20gr, a 17Hornet will do @3700fps with the same 20gr.

So in essence the 17 Hornet will do at 100yds what the 17WSM will do at the muzzle.

Its another rifle that will be a pointless waste of time in the Uk. The US market has many different quarry species and I do not know why anyone thinks what they need applies to the uk market. For cheap volume timfire shooting the HMR more than satisfies needs and when ranges increase, ammo usage volume decreases and there are already plenty of small centrefites for the job that are more accurate, more consistent and cheap to reload for. The 17 Hornet hasnt exactly devastated the earth so why would another inferior calibre with questionable reliability from a rimfire case?

We dont have millions of 200 yard prairie dogs with endless shot opportunities, easily visible bullet splash on dusty dirtbowl terrain.

Buy an HMR or go bigger, i wouldnt waste your time. The cz v savage 17 hornet rifles i have had very clearly illustrate US v European design and build ethos as well as ownership and usage styles

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated.

Jamie

Archived