Sporting Services 'Nimrod' rifle

Shuggy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It looks to be a good shooter, I have lashed out on a .260 in a fixed AT chassis - we can't be trusted to import folders in Aus - I am really looking forward to shooting this rifle and putting the .260 next to my 6.5x47 in an AT on the bench for a comparative test.

• 6 months later...

Now that the guys who bought these rifles in various calibres have had them/ shot them for several months what do you have to report on them?

Any issues?

Accuracy achieved?

Any further info is gratefully received.... Cheers lads.

I have had mine now since February this year and it has worked perfectly every time.

I have changed my load to 155 scenar, lapua brass, federal primers and 46.7 of vhit 150. This is shooting virtually one ragged hole at 100yds

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone tried the Nimrod in long action - 6.5x55 og 300 WM?

I'm very close to get one send to Denmark.

//Boryx

Hi has anyone got the 6.5X47 version.if so how's it working out,any gripes

I have one in 6.5 x 47 Lapua in a non-folding AT AICS stock. A (bad) image of it is on the bottom of the page 2 on 'Show us your 6.5x47' post string (link). It shoots five rounds into one ragged hole at 100 m, if I do my bit that is. No feeding problems other than the firth round in the five-round mag is hard to get in and this can mark the cases. Someone (Wazzer) stated that the lips can be massaged a little to stop the problem.

I must admit reading about the 260 problems I'm a bit put off.although I've read nothing bad about the 6.5X47. I'll need to keep doing my homework

From reading the posts it seems this is more a AX chassis and magazine issue. Most other people seem to be happy with their Nimrods? Then again, perhaps I was just lucky!

• 1 month later...

I have a 308 in AT folding stock and have feeding issues. This is both with 5 round and 10 round magazine. Disappointed to say the least. It was like that from day one and which makes one wonder what testing is done prior to shipping out. I have play with the magazine to get the round in and bolt closed. However I terms of acuracy, I concur with others. It is superb and when the round can be chambered it is silky smooth with a very nice light and crisp trigger. I managed mostly fives and vbulls at bisley couple of weeks ago. With variable winds. I'm not that good a shot average as far as my club goes. Will be sending the rifle back to get it checked over.

From reading the posts it seems this is more a AX chassis and magazine issue. Most other people seem to be happy with their Nimrods? Then again, perhaps I was just lucky!

As I've stated several times in these threads. The rifle's failure to feed has absolutely nothing to do with the AX chassis or magazines. Its a feed ramp problem.

The AI chassis and mags work flawlessly with any other barrelled action designed to fit into them.

• 3 months later...

I have now got my Nimrod in cal. 6.5x55, havent tried it on the range yet - but the bolt does not works silky smoth. How does yours work? Will it become any better within the next 200-300 rounds?

//Boryx

@newsatten - yes I did, or allmost. I still dont got the DBM - it's shipped from Terry last week so maybe next week it will be ready to try.

I havent got at Mount for my scope concider between a Sphur or Tier-one..

When it's all together i'll post som pics.

//Boryx

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update. I gave the Nimrod back to the shop I bought it off for a refund. My main gripes being the 10mm of up and down play in the magazine and the paint job. The paint on the barrell was just flaking off as the barrell was pretty smooth and shiny underneath. I guess it wasn't keyed before painting. Maybe it doesn't have to be I'm not an expert but that may have stopped it coming off so easily.

The mag well was over 10mm larger hence the magazine would ride straight up into the breach and not be stopped. I took it over to a very highly regraded gunsmith to look at and he took it apart and kindly took out a rem700 action to show me the difference and why the magazine was such a sloppy fit.

The people at sporting services were very helpful in that they modified the feed lips to stop the bolt hitting the magazine and when that didn't work they sent out a new magazine. Unfortunately from time to time I still had issuea with the bolt so decided to take it to a competent gunsmith.

I did advise the sporting services of this and they wanted to know who I spoke to and told me the its fine for the mag to have the play as long as it stayed down shot to shot.

I'm just glad I have most of my money back but still stuck with items I bought for the rifle. I bought the rifle on the reputation of sporting services and ow I'm out of pocket.

• 2 months later...

I ordered the action only here in Australia and will fit a Chanlyn stainless match barrel in 260rem with a chambering reamer ready to go with a .295 neck, I also have a locally made DBM with 3 different brands of mags and have a Mc Millian A3-A5 stock.and a March scope in 2.5x25x42

when I get the action ill post pictures of the build step by step inc fitting the barrel.

this forum seems to be the most informative in regards to the nimrod rifle action as it's based in the UK. and here in Australia we mainly buy USA made actions and rifles, but to buy the same rem 700 style action with the same features as a USA made defiance, the cost for the Nimrod action is $1000 cheaper.

I used to have a SAKO TRG22 and that action was super rigid and the hotter the load the better the rifle shot, and looking at the Nimrod it looks almost as good as the sako, I get my action in January. so like I said before will keeps you guys updated

Archived