Do it all rifle

gaz6br

As i said, a big one and a little one, in 6.5x47l

524AE5DF-CBFD-478E-9844-530DCF405E40_zps

If i was specifying just one, i'd pick the scope i wanted for the job/jobs, and build a rifle to carry it well and be accurate to the capability of the scope.

I needed 2.

No-i wanted 2..

What stock is the cammo one I do like that :)

Gaz

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do it All?

Target - to a degree - certainly sub 1/2 moa all day and easy to hold MOA in any position with sticks at 100 yds

Vermin - well it will kill most things

Deer - yes its deer legal and has ten round mag for "target rich" environments in winter

Calibre - 6.5x47

Rifle AI AX

DSCN3738_zpse15ebc2a.jpg

I might be a little bit in love with this rifle...

I think The Gun Pimp summed up very well in a post earlier this year, I can't remember the subject, but he went on to say that the .260 has not beaten any records, but the 6.5x47 has already set a few of them, or something like that!

My own 6.5x47 after 2350 rounds still shoots on a good day with a favourable wind, just under 1/2" at 250yds, but that is if everything comes together, albeit rarely!

You will not regret buying a 6.5x47

Best Regards,

Mark

P.S. Has anyone realised how we staunchly support our own choice of .260rem or 6.5x47 lapua the same as the Apple or Android crowd?!

The stock on the larger rifle looks like the one that's on the 6.5 x 47 in the for sale section! Very nice!

I might be a little bit in love with this rifle...

It started life as a "standard" Ai Ax in 308.

I had Border make me a copy of the profile in 6.5 mm and I fitted it.

The rifle is pretty much perfect for what I use it for (stalking and occasional target work)

Ok

moving away from the 260 / 6.5x47 "debate"

Another do all

6.5x284

140g bullet capability

Excellent accuracy - used by many to set Benchrest records when it was a Wildcat.

Dependable to level any UK creature.

For walk in and sit wait for long periods (of walking), this is my other "go to" stalking rifle

_ASC0720_zps30ed7454.jpg

Blueprinted Rem 700, Shilen trigger, Brux Barrel, PSE E Tac stock.

I'm seriously considering... Even tho it's a bit of a trek, getting a membership at diggle.

Target work is really all that I'd do with mine... For that reason, I'm not too fussed about weight and length!

I'm swaying to 6.5x47, but can't do anything until I'm a member!

Ok

moving away from the 260 / 6.5x47 "debate"

Another do all

6.5x284

140g bullet capability

Excellent accuracy - used by many to set Benchrest records when it was a Wildcat.

Dependable to level any UK creature.

For walk in and sit wait for long periods (of walking), this is my other "go to" stalking rifle

_ASC0720_zps30ed7454.jpg

Blueprinted Rem 700, Shilen trigger, Brux Barrel, PSE E Tac stock.

Your not the first to mention the 6.5x284 to me :) can you tell me more, bullet speeds, barrel life ect

Cheers Gaz

your welcome to have a shot with mine gaz if you want

Mr chop

I wouldn't mind a look at that action of yours ;)

Email me your number and address

Gaz

tomlinson.gareth@gmail.com

Gaz,

Accurate Shooter site has much of what you need to know about the 6.5x284,with a very informed data base.

gbal

Thank you il check it out

Gaz

I might have missed something but I'm amazed the 6.5x55 doesn't get a mention...shoots everything from 95gn to 156gn and has been known to kill anything that moves...is that the fascination with short actions again? Or the snobbery towards all things old (but known to work?). The swede will launch a 129gn or even a 140gn bullet at speeds the .243 launches a 100gn one and will have a barell life which will, allow you to bequith to your offspring in many years from now...and don't get me started on the 7x57... ;)

Good luck with your choice....

Best wishes

Finman

I might have missed something but I'm amazed the 6.5x55 doesn't get a mention...shoots everything from 95gn to 156gn and has been known to kill anything that moves...is that the fascination with short actions again? Or the snobbery towards all things old (but known to work?). The swede will launch a 129gn or even a 140gn bullet at speeds the .243 launches a 100gn one and will have a barell life which will, allow you to bequith to your offspring in many years from now...and don't get me started on the 7x57... ;)

Good luck with your choice....

Best wishes

Finman

Finman thanks

The 6.5x55 as also been mentioned to me and one I'm thinking of, I have heard fantastic things about this round

Gaz

Your not the first to mention the 6.5x284 to me :) can you tell me more, bullet speeds, barrel life ect

Cheers Gaz

Barrel life - I'm on my third, you'll get around 1500 accurate rounds through it before accuracy drops off, I'm fortunate in that I do my own work so its not an issue. If your using the weapon for recreational stalking and occasional range practice, it won't be an issue.

I use 140 g bullets in mine - velocity circa 2900 fps.

The cartridge was originally a wildcat devolved from the 284 Winchester, which was necked down to 6.5mm, it makes for a very accurate, easy to load cartridge in long action orientation.

The cartridge works for deer and target alike.

The only issues being shorter barrel life (about the same as a 243) and its a long action so the reloading cycle is longer (not that it makes a jot of difference IMHO)

As others have said don't discount 6.5x55 if your looking at .264" diameter projectiles

Id also consider 7mm-08 and 284 Winchester as "do alls"

Then theres the ubiquitous 308…...

You really need to look at what you want the rifle "package" to do, choosing an action /stock, trigger then deciding on calibre is sometimes easier….

If your shooting more than 5,fallow a year Gaz then my advice is 6.5 up.

Before anyone jumps in, I know you can kill any deer with a 6mm (I have... lots) but if your starting a new project that's where I would be looking.

Choose your components carefully....

Stock fit is important, doest it suit your intended uses?

Is it going to be too heavy?

Probably need adjustable cheekpiece if its dual use to get the best out of it.

What mag system do you want to use, this may decide the action type for you? (My bigun uses AW mags, soooo much better than the aics tat!)

Coming into this one late (and I am a 260 fan but the calibre issue has been done to death) BUT look at the Mac HTG Tex Adjustable stock......stalking style , adjustable cheekpiece light enough to walk with but steady enough for long range target.

Its become my Go-To gun for most everything despite having a number of target-dedicated rifles.

Picture on Valkyrie rifles website under duracoating.

6.5 x 47 will work in a std magazine of 2.8 inches. I've got an Extended mag length of 3.1 in my 260 Rem, but it's not ideal if I ever want to use a magazine system. Steeper shoulder angle on the 6.5 x 47.

https://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

There's not a lot in it and as I've committed to 260 Rem for 15 years, I'll stick with it.

Regards

JCS

I have just converted a 260 Tikka T3 to use AICS mags and have come up against the 2.8" OAL problem. For this reason I'll probably rebarrel to 6.5x47 when the 260 one is worn out (or I get bored).

However, I do like 260, so will probably rebarrel my Steyr SBS 308 to 260 when that barrel is worn out (or I get bored again) as it has a lovely long high capacity magazine.

Then with my 6.5x55 I'll have three 6.5mm rifles, lightweight, heavyweight and range only. 6.5 is just about perfect for me.

Very interesting thread!!!

I have owned a 6.5-284 and a 6.5-55 improved = both lovely calibres that will run the 140 grainers with ease!!!

Very nice to shoot at long range too!!

Sadly gone now to make way for other things??? a 280 Ackley impoved which is running the 162 A-max @3025 = really enjoying this round ;)

:)

S6001386_zpsdd41396e.jpg

All the very best ,

Ray.

Archived