Help with choosing a new rifle

Redshift

My other halves daughter shoots with us every now and again but is getting more serious, the rifle that she has been using is on it's last legs ( 243 tikka 590) so it's time to get her a new one, as ever funds are a bit tight at the moment ( she has just got a new m/cycle). She will be shooting out to a 1000yds. I will presume it will be a remmy that people will recommend, but what model will do the job? She has an open slot for a 308w but we can get it changed if need be.

Redshift

Sounds like a cool kid! :-)

I hear what you're saying... My motorbike, 4x4 & rifle addiction is killing my wallet too!

I agree with Shuggy... Re-barrel, get a bit of a faster twist on the go. Maybe tweek the trigger a bit.

I'm currently shooting a .223 and aiming for reliable 1000 yard shots. (Keeps things challenging and ammo costs a bit lower!)

Jay

Why not just rebarrel the 590? You could use a good economy barrel such as a Begara. The 590 can also be upgraded further with new bolt handles, Joe West laminate stock etc.

As for calibres, there are plenty of good choices.

Aye - if she's got a slot for .308, why not shove a nice new .308 tube on it?

Hmmm....the 308 is a decent jack of all trades....and ,moderated,will serve well...

I doubt that increased recoil will be a biggie-though 20+ shots unmoderated isn't a pure pleasure-compared to say a 6BR,admittedly a reload proposition.

223 really is out of it's comfort zone way before 1000y,especially with any wind.If there will be much 600+ shooting,then think about cartridge carefully.1000 with a 223 isn't challenging,it's discouraging.

Cost of rebarrel won't be much different from a used rifle-again,how much use will it get?

I'd not be too concerned about all the Remington add ons-you can only have one trigger/stock etc-even if you need to change any.Get a rifle that feels right,as is-Rem/Tikka/Sako tend to be on average,among the better mid range options.If possible,shoot it first.

gbal

I'd like to point out, I wasn't suggesting re-barreling to a .223... That would be a bit of a backwards step!

I shoot with my .223 out of necessity, obviously it wouldn't be my rifle of choice for a 1k gong.

I'd like to point out, I wasn't suggesting re-barreling to a .223... That would be a bit of a backwards step!

I shoot with my .223 out of necessity, obviously it wouldn't be my rifle of choice for a 1k gong.

..".And aiming for reliable 1000 yard shots. Keep things challenging...",seems to imply some faith in 223 at 1000y-Just suggesting that there are much better options,and it would be shame to handicap your partner's daughter.....

Sorry if that is a misrepresentation-the point I was suggesting though should be clear-308 if recoil is not an issue- ie an issue that detracts from enjoyment (moderator is the way to go);or something with genuine 1000y reasonable condition ability,yet fairly mild ( about comparable with her 243-and super accurate (6BR)-I know what I'd get my daughter-and leave enough challenge in terms of sub MOA-ie not just bulls,xbulls.

I didn't mention 'rebarrel',but a 6BR rebarrel would be well worth considering.What does she think?

gbal

I have to have faith in it... I have no other choice!

Jay,point taken-I like shooting 223 too,and 650 is quite gong challenging,but you were commendably asking for advice for your partner's daughter,implying there might be some other choice,and I'd hope that were so,for her. Rebarreling the Tikka to 6BR (eg) would cost a bit more than selling it and buying a (used) 308,but maybe not impossibly so-and it would be a new barrel,not used-and probably a better cartridge-unless shooting is overwhelmingluy at 1000y,in all weathers,rather than a fair mixture.Just suggesting options;I now find the 308 just too much bang,for not enough clang,and nowhere near as enjoyable to shoot.What has she had a chance to try?

g

This is Redshift's tread G. :-/

I think, by the sound of what he's saying, she's been shooting a .243!

Apologies to Red for sidetracking this tread a bit... But definitely listen to Gbal, 6BR would be a great choice!

Apologies also to Gbal. "I have to have faith... I have no other choice!" I didn't mean for this to sound so sharp. :-(

I also hear a lot of good things about 6.5's, but I'm no expert!

This is Redshift's tread G. :-/

I think, by the sound of what he's saying, she's been shooting a .243!

Apologies to Red for sidetracking this tread a bit... But definitely listen to Gbal, 6BR would be a great choice!

Apologies also to Gbal. "I have to have faith... I have no other choice!" I didn't mean for this to sound so sharp. :-(

I also hear a lot of good things about 6.5's, but I'm no expert![/quot

Oops,thanks-Jay! thought it seemed a slight change in emphasis!!

Substantive suggestions still worth thinking about,Redshift.

Yes,6.5x47 in a fine cartridge-custom number though,mostly -off the medium price peg Rem 260 is ballistically very close,and both outclass the 308 .

6BR is like a super accurate 243,with better long range with a fast twist barrel (1in8).

G

Thanks for all the replies, I'm used to the side tracking, a ten minute conversation with me could include politics, weather, religion and the best nork size!!

As the 243 is a sporter the re-barrel option isn't really a goer as I would have to get a new stock as well, plus the tikka is a bit grubby and will need the action re coated, once all that is costed in, I'm looking at the thick end of £1400.00

I've just seen a cz550 varmint on line for a decent price, what's are peoples thoughts on them? I only really know about the .22rf models as my other half has one, that is a cracking bit of kit for the money it cost.

All the daughter is looking for is a rifle that can hit the inner rings (4s and 5s etc) of a std nra target, not something to win the euros with, as a family we just enjoy shooting together, we are not interested in trying to become world champions ( we know our limitations).

Redshift

I wouldn't dismiss the rebarrel option just yet. Any decent smith would have that stock up on their milling machine and have the barrel channel routed out in about 5 minutes. Looking at pictures of a 590, there looks to be plenty of depth in the forend to take a varmint profile or similar. So what if the action is a bit tatty? She can get it recoated at a later date as funds allow.

But if you are set on a new budget rifle, if I was doing the same again today I would without question choose a Tikka T3 varmint or tactical in .308.

HI-sorry about the earlier cross reference,but +1 on Shuggy.(there is a CZ varmint 308 on Guntrader for £695-obviously condition comes into price-but that is rebarrel price range.CZ is OK-probably not in Tikka class though (for me the rebarrel option means better cartridge choice,as well as effectively a new shooting rifle-it's the barrel that really matters,and a good trigger.A new T3 will be more £. Budget for a mod too,asap-there is absolutely no pleasure in getting hit by recoil-and it won't do accuracy any favours at all (esp in 308 class),at any level of shooting.There is a pretty big choice of used 308s,in varmint barrel (Sako,TIkka,Rem)-some stocks are too light (plastic isn't always best).Always try first-a club member's eg.

gbal

Shuggy and gbal,

All good points, the cz has gone, so I will have to give this a bit more thought, I've got an old 590 conti stock laying about that I channelled out ( in l/h ) that I could convert to r/h use, then I'm only in for the price of a re- barrel and I get the choice of calibre.

Regards

Redshift

Archived