Well they're done

Hi Andy

Me thinks if they shoot as well as they look :lol: you should be in with a good chance in the CZ, if you do your bit :lol: GOOD LUCK

I've been folowing the Duracoat thread since my time on here, and can safely say when my new stock arrives later this year, Kal's getting the nod ;)

Cheers Steve

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wireviz

[ STEVIE HE IS DOING ONE FOR ME ALSO BUT I MUST SAY IF MY STOCK COMES BACK WITH LUMPS AND BUMPS LIKE ANDYS I WILL BE SENDING IT STRAIGHT BACK TO COL . You see stevies i work hard for my cash andalso

expect very high standards :lol: also being a painter i know what can be atcheived with a bit of preperation time. :lol:

[ STEVIE HE IS DOING ONE FOR ME ALSO BUT I MUST SAY IF MY STOCK COMES BACK WITH LUMPS AND BUMPS LIKE ANDYS I WILL BE SENDING IT STRAIGHT BACK TO COL . You see stevies i work hard for my cash andalso

expect very high standards B) also being a painter i know what can be atcheived with a bit of preperation time. ;)

You dont want that shite Duracoat on your stock Dave and certainly not me now do you... :D

Guest wireviz

Certainly not if you leave it as rough as that one :D all kidding aside don't leave mine like that or ill put pictures up on the gay web site you frequent and sell it as a rough ass rubber B);)

Certainly not if you leave it as rough as that one :P all kidding aside don't leave mine like that or ill put pictures up on the gay web site you frequent and sell it as a rough ass rubber B);)

Rough? If only you would listen...

Now how would you know about Gay websites? Its ok I know all about it, the boys at Glasgow Field Sports told me! :o:D

Funny though I dont remember being asked to coat your stock, you must be a Clairvoyant, or is Clair your weekend name? :D

Just so we clear this point up Dave (Wireviz) and so everyone else is clear on this:

The "rough" texture on the Manners is moulded in at the factory, a deeper texture is applied to the pistolgrip and foreend as well, but the overall finsh has tiny raised dimples that assist when your picking up the rifle when it or you are wet.

You can clearly see this when compared to a Mac A5:

The A5 is the marble finish and shiny stock in the pic, the Manners is the green one with the raised "flecks" clearly visible BEFORE DURACOATING

DSCN0713.jpg

If I wanted a shiny finish that slips through your fingers when wet I would have asked Kal to smooth all the "flecks" off, the work he has done for me is excellent - ive no complaints at all.

Now that we've cleared up the various styles of finishing available :P

I thought i'd give you a range update:

Both rifles were cut with the same reamer, headspace is at minimum for both chambers.

The Predator (in the AICS) has a Lawton 1-8.5" twist tube.

The BAT, a Lothar Walther 1-8" twist

Both barrels are button rifled and cost less than £250 to buy (each) - I didnt get any discount, I paid full retail for both. I'm telling you this just so you know that neither rifle is fitted with "mega price cut rifled tubes"

DSCN0829.jpg

DSCN0830.jpg

Range is 100 meters, bench is not ideal - a picnic table, but my other spot was too wet to get to.

The chap who owns the Predator has already shot it alot (circa 300 rounds) and has a consistant, accurate load, that shoots .3" to .4" every time. This is with hottish load using Varget, bullets travelling at 3100fps.

The squares on the targets are 1" in size.

Ten shot Predator group, shot from full magazine and shot quickly:

DSCN0833.jpg

Five shot Predator group:

DSCN0834.jpg

Initial development loads with the BAT were good (as per the .250" one already posted) however, I found that although this load (using RL15 was sometimes excellent, it was inconsistant - something I put down to primers as I was using standard CCI small rifle jobbies.

This is typical of the groups using 37.9g RL 15 and CCI standard SR = 2948fps (ES23)

DSCN0836.jpg

When I switched to SR Benchrest primers and the same load, they reduced in size and became quite repeatable:

5 shot RL15 with BR primer - (MV increased to 2962 fps average)

DSCN0832.jpg

I then considered using Varget - after seeing my mates results, we tried 39g, which gave 3024fps and single figure ES, this is typical of the groups (I shot several that look like this)

Five shots, .342" centre to centre.

DSCN0831.jpg

Whilst it goes in the face of published data available from the US (mainly from the 6mmBR site), I think Varget suits these two rifles over RL15, it is more consistant, gives higher MV and tighter groups than anything else we have tried.

There is no sign of excess pressure, and for the time being this is what I have settled on to use with the BAT.

Untill I can get hold of some 130 Berger VLD's that is...... :lol:

Hi Ronin,

This means no excuses next week then :lol:

David.

Err

"the sun was in my eyes"

Its too cold, my trigger fingers frozen"

"its too wet, I can't see through the scope wiearing a snorkle"

"I wasnt paying attention, a sexy Czech chich bent over whilst I was concentrating"

"I wasnt paying attention, a sexy Czech bloke bent over whilst I was concentrating! :P

"Mr rifles jammed"

"some bastards knobbled my ammo"

"who's been playing with my scope settings"

etc etc etc etc etc :P

Archived