.308 ftr chamber specs

nowler

13 grains of Red Dot is actually well known as a reduced velocity load for many rifle cartridges.

Many, many years back the late Noel Baxter regularly tried to hit a standard NRA target at 300 on Pickering RC's range with a 577/450 Martini-Henry with some such charge of Red Dot, taken from the Lyman manual and allegedly a 'good 'un' for the application.

The rifle made the most wonderful B-o-o-o-o-o-ng !! noise, but as for hitting the target (or even the mantlet, backstop, or any other component of the far end of rifles ranges), no chance. Nobody ever saw a bullet strike, so this interesting combination's ballistics remained a complete mystery and went to the grave with Noel.

I imagine that if the Nowler's action survived the hypothetical 230 Hybrid and 13gn Red Dot combination, the bullet's trajectory would prove equally mystifying :)

(Quick ... somebody suggest it to Steve Donaldson!)

Thanks Shuggie. Ed Harris did all sorts of fascinating stuff but seems to have been mostly forgotten now. There must be a lot of his articles and findings on the Internet somewhere.

Intriguing the one charge weight does everything! (I'm not sure I believe it.) I think I'd prefer IMR Trail Boss or Accurate 5744 these days mind you.

Long range FTR propellants ..... NOT, still maybe Derek will give them a try for us when he's got his chamber specced up and rifle built.

I know we jest but thank god it's been forgotten as I can't see any good only bad coming from this practice . More of a match made for heaven rather than in it .

I've used red dot to blow out the shoulders on my 7x68 Imp using 16g and wax plugs and it was nasty , my advice .... Avoid !

OSOK

Archived