Reload swiss powder

matchking

Anybody using this powder and with what results? I got a flyer today asking if we want to be stockists.From what i can see prices will be about the same as Vit.

Regards Sean

Sean,

these are VERY good powders. TR140 (that's RS50) and Elcho-17 (RS60) are well known and in widespread use already. I've been trying sample lots of RS40 and RS52 on top, both high-energy types like RS60 and the Viht N500 series. (Nigel Cole-Hawkins, the importer, says that Nitro-Chemie sold the technology and processes for this to Vihtavuori in fact.) RS40 has already acquired a name as a producer of high MVs in FTR rifles with .308 Win and 155s although it's marginally too fast burning for the cartridge, and RS52 IMHO will be what replaces the non-existent H. VarGet when the good word gets around. If VarGet works in something, RS52 usually does too at similar charge weight levels, but producing higher MVs.

A friend has been testing N-C WLP225 (RS62), a single-base grade in the same burning rate bracket as the 4350s / slightly slower burning than the high-energy RS60 / Elcho-17 / Alliant Re17) in .284 Win with 162-168gn bullets in F-Class and is very impressed.

The existing Swiss loads data is very poor / limited scope, and Nigel has arranged for comprehensive testing and development to be done here in the UK. That's what the range lacks and has stopped its widespread use here.

It's always a risk taking on a new range of propellants as people need incentivisation to switch from what they know. With the Hodgdon / ADI shortages which look as though they'll carry on into next year, this is probably as good a time as any. I don't know that RS70 will match or improve on the now non-existent H4831sc, but I'm keen to find out and would even place a small bet on the outcome, and I know that other RS powders will match or improve on some of the other missing grades. At or close to Viht prices, RS offers an alternative to these fine powders, and will at least complement that range offering more choice.

I'm very interested in these powders, I contacted Mr Cole-Hawkins about a week ago and am disappointed to report that I didn't receive a rely.

Initial results for RS52 in .223 were surprising. With SMK 80's at 65.5mm COL and a Rem 7.5 primer, the first run (2 rounds each from 25.5 to 26.5 grains at 0.25 grain steps) started at 3010 and topped out at 3170 fps. No major pressure signs, primer pockets still tight etc.

Rifle is a Tikka M595 converted to single shot with a 30" barrel, and throated for the SMK 80's.

H/man

• 1 year later...

I've been reading interestingly about the temperature sensitivity or lack of with H4350. Are there any reports about any of the RS powders?

4350 and RS60 are supposed to both be good powders in the rifle I'm using it in but if prefer to stick with the RS

• 3 years later...

I've been using RS52 in my Sabatti .308 STR for quite a while and like it. I have been using RS70 in the Sabatti .300 win mag to good effect at 1000 yards.

I have been getting good groups with my .223 CZ using RS52 but recent research suggests I should be using RS40 for which I will get increased MV; watch this space.

I have also used RS52 in my LE No4 .303. When I bought the gun (recently) it came with 115 rounds made up with 42gr Vit 140. I found this didn't group well and was very smelly in the tunnel! I did some basic load development and got much better grouping with 40.5gr of RS52.

I use RS62 in my 6.5x47 pushing the 139gr scenars and it gives stunning accuracy. I've used RS60 too is too in my 6.5x47 and my 284 pushing the 180gr hybrids along fast.RS70 will too.

Nigel is a nice bloke and I am surprised he's not replied.

I started to stock it 12 months ago.

Its a steady seller now, and I thought I'd try some myself.

Very impressed with it. Supply seems to be good.

As usual you have the hawkers doing their best to choke everyone else off, by discounting it, but to be honest, if they want to make a couple of quid on a tub, good luck to them. Busy fools.

Along with Vhit, I personally have two good ranges of powder, and also Alliant too, though this is not the seller it was years ago.

Hodgdons and IMR are dead in the water in the uk, mainly due to reach, but certainly not helped by supply either.

Archived