Hogweed burns

Offroad Gary

Nasty things, as we've just found out (google to find out more)

anyone got any advice for looking after them? Antibiotics are being taken but not sure they are doing any good or even necessary.

burns were obtained last saturday while running from lizard to lands end, and exposed to quite a bit of sunlight.

watch out while in the countryside, there are some odd things out there!

I would normally reserve antibiotics for treating secondary infection. Cold flannels/compresses and time are the main treatment. If burning pain is a problem non-steroidal anti-inflammatories and topical steroid creams can be used. See your GP for formal diagnosis and treatment advice.

Hogweed isn't the only culprit; other umbelliferae and even contact with parsley, limes, celery and parsnips can cause it. The reaction is caused by the furocoumarins in the plant plus sunlight. I had similar last summer- the pigmentation that was left after the blisters went down took ages to fade.

Pics taken sometime after it had begun to settle:

null-77.jpg

null-78.jpg

null-79.jpg

Google "strimmer dermatitis", "harvesters rash" and "phytophotodermatitis" for more info.

Wear long sleeves, trousers, gloves and UV-A sunscreen if clearing vegetation, especially in sunlight.

I had quite severe ones on my hand at one time and they weren't painful but virtually had to grow out if that makes sense. I found plenty of moisturiser etc. helped once the blister / dead skin had gone helped as it's really sensative. Took ages to sort itself out but totally fine now.

i must admit ive never heard of this before i do suffer badly though with asthma when clearing pens full of ferns

• 1 month later...
Guest Stacka

I spent months in a certain area on a island not far from here. The ops were normally deep in vegetation.

We would regularly cut them down by hand, to clear a good field of view, so burns and rashes were inevitable. Probably a bit late now, but any general antihistamine will do for the rash.

But in general nothing really can be done.

On the bright side, iv hard in eastern Europe they use hogweed for aphrodisiac,.....im going to stipulate now, im not suggesting you try and eat it to get it up!

Guest Stacka

no believe its boiled or crushed.....lol

truth be told im not sure how its taken, i was told by a survival trainer back in those days

Archived