Hi all

over the week end i had a invite to go and have a look at a plot that was getting a bit of tree damage,the trees had recently been planted and the owner was getting some of them damaged by the deer.so my - rang me up and asked if i would like to come up and meat up with him and see if we could sort one or 2 out. well i could not miss out on a chance to shoot on some new land,i was told there was a buck working one side of this bank,and you could tell he was an active fellow as there was a lot of tree damage over there. so i set up over on the other bank, i took my range finder and i would be shooting over a distance ranging from 180 to 250 depending on where the beast would show,if (at all)me and my - took a walk down the opposite bank to see where would be the best vantage point to set up and wait.and we found a nice spot that i could see the majority of the opposite bank,and thats where i set up,the sun was a bit of a pain as it was in my eyes most of the time,and made spotting with my binos very hard.i tried to take some photos of the ground but they did not come out because of the glare.the wind was blowing from right to left,but not enough to bother the 270wsm over that distance.any way i had been there for about 1 1/2 hours and the sun was being a right pain but just as a cloud stop the glare of the sun i spotted a buck on the bank. i adjusted my set up,and the beast was not at the perfect angle,it was facing down hill and and it was facing me at an angle and had its head down.i decided that if i aimed to wards the front of its left leg to wards the base of its neck then the bullet would pass through to its right shoulder.

so the shot was taken and the beast dropped on the spot. here is some of the pictures that did come out OK.

this is a view from the back i was on

Picture003.jpg

Picture001.jpg

here is the buck and some tree damage

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

as you can see from the photos this buck was knocking seven bails of $hit out of them trees.

then we went over to our syndicate land and had a wonder around there.

here is a few picture of a couple of rides,and all 3 bucks that was taken on the trip.the other two beasts where taken by atom who posts on here.

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture013-1.jpg

Picture015.jpg

and one of my -

Picture010.jpg

all in all a very good week end,

Colin :lol:

Hhhmnn

the tree damage appears isolated to one example, there doesn't seem to be a browse line at the base of the spruce thicket. was it as bad as the landowner made out?

Well done on the bucks by the way.

Hhhmnn

the tree damage appears isolated to one example, there doesn't seem to be a browse line at the base of the spruce thicket. was it as bad as the landowner made out?

have you got a problem with my post Andy??????

i only took photos of the one place, but for your info yes there was a lot of damage to the trees, most of them where the same as that one.

or would you prefer i take photos of every tree that was damaged,and post them up for you.

hmmmmmm

Colin

Colin

I wasn't criticising the cull, just wondered if the damage was as bad as the landowner made out. From the photo's, there doesn't appear to be much damage, yes one frayed sapling, but no obvious browse line.

Once a year (maybe twice) i'll get a call from my farmers, it goes something like this:

"bloody deer all over the place, eating me out of house and home, no grass for the cattle, get em off"

So how many have you seen?

"bloody great herds of them"

How many?

"well, three or four, but theyr'e always on the land"

Ok I'll come up.

The following week, I'll have taken off a couple and all is sweet again,,,,,,till next year.

That was my point.

Chill matey :lol:

Oh nice bit of ground :lol:

Colin

I wasn't criticising the cull, just wondered if the damage was as bad as the landowner made out. From the photo's, there doesn't appear to be much damage, yes one frayed sapling, but no obvious browse line.

Once a year (maybe twice) i'll get a call from my farmers, it goes something like this:

"bloody deer all over the place, eating me out of house and home, no grass for the cattle, get em off"

So how many have you seen?

"bloody great herds of them"

How many?

"well, three or four, but theyr'e always on the land"

Ok I'll come up.

The following week, I'll have taken off a couple and all is sweet again,,,,,,till next year.

That was my point.

Chill matey :lol:

Oh nice bit of ground :lol:

hi Andy

i was not privy to the conversation, all i know was there was a beast that needed culling,by the way are you getting the plots mixed up,

the tree damage appears isolated to one example, there doesn't seem to be a browse line at the base of the spruce thicket.
as the first 5 pictures are of broad leaf trees, and the rest are of my syndicate land, the other 2 beasts where taken by atom.

ATB

colin

The old saying give them enough rope and they`ll hang them selves,lol..

Col next time Atom Grallochs a Deer watch the fecker and learn how to do it right thats my bit of advise for thee..

I could tell without reading the above speel that two different guy`s gralloched the Deer and obviously the fare right one was done by a beginer..

The trouble with Roe is the fact that the blighters almost always do their fraying in conspicous places easily seen by a passing Forester, almost creating a death wish.

Picture taken last week of a freshly frayed tree with the resin still oozing out with facial hair stuck on.

P1000519.jpg

hi vim

you must be very experienced at this sort of stuff to know this.

I could tell without reading the above speel that two different guy`s gralloched the Deer and obviously the fare right one was done by a beginer.

you did mean this one did you not

Picture013_edited.jpg

ATB

Like I say colin,,,Chill

or you'll have a heart attack :lol:

Nice ground (both bits) excellent cull (all three)

Nuff said :lol:

Oh, Atom,

unless you have secure fencing around the perimeter of your ground and NO deer within, you will have some browsing..

Col i think you were more concerned with the posing aspect of the haul off the ground than you were about food/meat hygiene but who am i to condeme,lol.

Obviously that beast in the square still has its opharagus in its throat and most likely leaking bile into the carcass but hey most beginers make that mistake..

My theory about the posing aspect that you were so readily concerned about was made plain as day when you decided to start removing legs and then decided that the picture would like far better with the tombola on,lmao..

Admit your guilt and move on with experience theeehheee..

Col i think you were more concerned with the posing aspect of the haul off the ground than you were about food/meat hygiene but who am i to condeme,lol.

Obviously that beast in the square still has its opharagus in its throat and most likely leaking bile into the carcass but hey most beginers make that mistake..

My theory about the posing aspect that you were so readily concerned about was made plain as day when you decided to start removing legs and then decided that the picture would like far better with the tombola on,lmao..

Admit your guilt and move on with experience theeehheee..

The old saying give them enough rope and they`ll hang them selves,lol.
.your words not mine,but in this case i must point out to you that all 3 beasts where done by DSC level 2 holders, and the chap i was with is vastly more experienced than i, i make no bones about my experience or the lake of it, but you are wrong on this one -.

this beast

Picture014.jpg

and this one

Picture013_edited.jpg

where grassed by the same person. Atom, and he has been shooting beasts for over 20 years

and has done work for the forestry, all the beasts where done according to where they had to be extracted from.

this is y the beast that has been field dressed had to be carried out a long way, and was all so dragged for some distance,

this is y it has got a mark round one of the legs, it just a case of dealing with the beasts accordingly. if you have a long way to take the beast a Field dressing is in order,and if you have not got to carry it far then a full grolock will be best.

well thats what they tell me

ATB

Like I say colin,,,Chill

or you'll have a heart attack :lol:

Nice ground (both bits) excellent cull (all three)

Nuff said :lol:

Oh, Atom,

unless you have secure fencing around the perimeter of your ground and NO deer within, you will have some browsing..

take another look at cols post you noted that there was no browse line we have no secure fence and those 2 bucks was numbers 6 +7 so we do have deer must be on a diet a cheers matey just decide wot way to go and let stalkers appreciate good posts dont look at ways of beng clever and pulling stuff down yours the tiny atom

Guest 308Panther

If I sit and chew on it a bit I can kinda figure whats goin on...Oh Well.

Looks like someone had some fun droppin a couple tasty morsels...

Oh how I wish it was fall ...again.

Here you guys are scrappin over proper guttin and a few other things

...And I just got a call from the

Taxidermist....My mounts are ready!!!!! ;) Too Kewl...

308Panther...

Come on lads, these bucks have been shot on ground where they have permission to shoot em, i personaly think that the buck on the right would have been better if it was slit up to its throat and cut, cut through the rib cage and opend up fully, but its not up to us how someone else does their deer, good shooting lads,

Panther, i hope you will show us your mounts from the taxidermist, and a bit of story about them. ;)

Guest A-max
..........i personaly think that the buck on the right would have been better if it was slit up to its throat and cut, cut through the rib cage and opend up fully...........

Why?

That's larder work, why open up the carcase to infection BEFORE you DRAG it, possibaly for miles, over HEATHER, or through a BURN(that's a stream for you southern softy's ;) ), or over a PEAT BOG or even just over a bed of PINE NEEDELS.

Have you ever been on the hill before cooperman?

Come on lads, these bucks have been shot on ground where they have permission to shoot em, i personaly think that the buck on the right would have been better if it was slit up to its throat and cut, cut through the rib cage and opend up fully, but its not up to us how someone else does their deer, good shooting lads,

Panther, i hope you will show us your mounts from the taxidermist, and a bit of story about them. ;)

I have to say I Agree with A-Max (don’t faint A-max) ;) as small openings in the body as possible is standard practice for extraction, in fact I thought some of the openings were rather large and would have put smaller cuts in if I were doing the gralloch. :D

Did you do that one Colin? ;)

NO NO I am only jesting Mate. don’t bite my head off like Andy's was. ;);)

B-b

PS A-Max Since when has a Yorkshire man been a soft southerner? ;) Soft yes, but no southerner. :P

Nearly forgot well done Colin and atom. ;)

Archived