McMillan marbled stocks + camoflauge

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest wireviz

[Elwood i think that stock looks crap mate sorry JMHO .i REMEMBER THAT TYPE OF PATERN ON MY TOMMY GUN WHEN I WAS JUST A LAD. i THINK MY PERENTS USED IT SO THEY COULD KEEP AN EUE ON ME WERE EVER THEY WENT. :P

Ian

I looked on the "specials" section and drew up a list of what was available that suited my needs (I wanted a S/A Rem 700 inlet with BDL bottom metal)

Anyway, I called and gave the stock #'s to the person on the other end - 3 mins later the stocks were paid for and on route.

It pays to look at this section once in a while as there is usually something that fits the bill - even if I decide to fit a HS or Badger mag system to the stocks its a relatively easy job to open them up from the narrow BDL inlet to accomodate the wider systems.

I wouldnt have ordered one otherwise - I prefer Manners, but this is for a "build and let go" project.

Go with the Surgeon mate, you know it makes sense :P

Finman

I am sure Peter will get you the stock you want and you'll be happy with it.

It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things Wirevis, a lot of people seem to like the GAP woodland pattern, personally I think it looks pants.

Ian

Very true Ian.

I guess rusty old rifle and swarovski scope combos do it for some people. :P

Me I like my synthetics becuase of what you can do with them and some of the finishes shown in your excellant post are very much a requirement for some folk and I have to say they do look good. It is also very fulfilling to see the finished project and to customer reaction after the work that has gone into the patterns and finishes.

Hi Ronin and Hi Ian,

thank you both for the suggestions. It is a learning curve this, but when I did contact the McMillan folk they did not seem too keen to take my order, perhaps because at that time (about a year ago) I was not very clear on what I wanted nor could I understand what they could offer. Plus, if my memory is correct, at the time things were a lot less clear about export licenses and the like on such items.

Speaking to friends who have had McMillans on their guns, they always mentioned Mr. Jackson and my thinking was that if something goes wrong then, at least, I have someone in this country to address and try and sort the problem out.

I have other rifles and they will also be needing stocks, so I will try and be a bit more economical then. However, our gunsmiths need some trade too, and, much like our post offices, if we don't use them we may lose them ;-))

thank you again for highlighting this,

best wishes,

Finman

Finman

I apreciate your candidness re the learning curve and also accept that gunsmiths need to make a living - just like everyone else does.

However it might be nice if people altered their pricing to suit the current exchange rates.

I was quoted (not by Peter I hasten to add) a Mcmillan A5 with ajustable cheek inletted for rem 700 and mag system at £850 this was for an off the shelf stock from someone in the UK - who also charge £900 for a trued rem action :lol: .

I got the same thing myself for just over half that price even after import duty and vat.

Now the people who deal with Mcmillan and others on a regular basis will have their own price structures so even more of a % profit.

Surely there has to be an "acceptable level of profit margin" but not at the ridiculous end of the scale ----- or am I being niave?

Hi Ronin,

in one of my earlier exchanges with McMillan, for an A5 with adjustable cheekpiece (which is the wrong thing to have if I want the stock ambidextrous, as Mr. Jackson pointed out), and 3 sling swivel studs, I was quoted $673 a year ago, which, by the time I added tax and shipping is not that dissimilar to what I am paying at the moment for the stock from Jackson Rifles (if anyone from Jackson's is reading this, I am not complaining!!), or indeed what it cost you after import duty and vat..

It is rather distasteful, to say the least, that one would want £850 for an of-the-shelf stock and I am sure that with this kind of business ethos will not keep our friend in the market for long. On the other hand, unfortunately, there are people who do trust their gunsmith over and above what they should and gladly pay such extortionate prices...

As for the exchange rates, these may change in such a way to significantly affect the price from the time of the order to the time of the appearance on the shelf. So, it is a difficult one to judge.... In any case, we (in the UK) appear to be fleeced when comparing the prices others pay in the US for the same thing. It has to be said however, that even UK-based manufacturers are markedly more expensive than similar US ones. For example: In one of the earlier postings in this thread, the website of Mike Bryant is given. When you look what he charges for a custom rifle ($1950), and the reputation he has, and then compare it to a similar rifle made by a UK custom riflesmith, my point will be obvious...

Best wishes,

Finman

Hi Ronin and Hi Ian,

Speaking to friends who have had McMillans on their guns, they always mentioned Mr. Jackson and my thinking was that if something goes wrong then, at least, I have someone in this country to address and try and sort the problem out.

Finman

Actually that is a very valid point, I had a A5 ordered to go on a custom rifle, when it arrived at the gunsmith I am using he sent it back to Jacksons saying it wasn't up to scratch (from what he told me, that was polite description) I never had any hassle of sending the stock back and obviously had no costs either, five months later the replacement arrives. So on this particular occasion I'm very glad I used a third party.

Guest wireviz

You are right Elwood it wood be a boring old world if we liked the same thing but like woman we can all admire beauty and its many forms it takes. We can also admire the beauty that has past or ripened like good fruit (goldiehorn etc ) .But most people but not all can see mutton dressed as lamb and while they will look at it with a snigger they keep well back knowing what it is . So that old gun that is fecked has a new set of tiger stripes its still an old that which promotes growth and vigour gun . That old sako with the swartz scope is still a real class act just older. :lol:

Hey you pay your money and take your chances and for me the paint over stocks most not all look cheap .

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really liking the forrest green and black and the olive and black. I could see myself getting one of those. The desert tan patterns don't do it fr me so much. I like the darker ones. Maybe 60% black, 30% forest green, 10% medium grey would be about right for me.

Thanks

Rick

i went for a 75%balck 25% white but like has been said it looks bugger all like the same mix shown here!

(A5 thumbwheel CP)

I think for the cash they suck!

A robertson in my mind is in a differnt quality zone!

still its going on now after the 5month wait!

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Lowlight's new sick, "Gladius" What's your user name on The Hide Elwood?

User name is IanB I think :) I have a massive post count of about six, but read the forum pretty much everyday.

Word of warning to anyone choosing colours from the McMillan website, some of the colours on their colour chart are not what you get in real life, as I have just found out.

I saw my A5 the other day and had it marbled in medium green and light gray, the light gray looks very close to off white on the McMillan website, but believe you me it's very very gray. My stock looks hideous and will be going to see Mr Clark for a bit of a make over, if I manage to get some photo's of it I will post them on here.

Nice to see Lowlight is using a Manners T2 for his new stick, it will be interesting to see how this new one shoots. Like the side activated bolt release job......

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...