Misfires with my rimmy??

Guest martin

Guest martin

I was out last night,and had 5-6 misfires,and when I checked the bullet there was no strike mark at all.Have I got a major problem,or is it something I can do myself? It did work on other occassions by the way.......................

DSC00251.jpg

All input will be gratefully received........................Martin.

Is this a semi by chance?.

My 10/22s will sometimes missfire if the chamber is claggy, what happens is that the round has not gone all the way in. The firing pin pushes the case forward but does not have enough momentum to detonate it. This will however usually leave a slight mark.

If a bolt action or a semi with a clean chamber then is looks like a firing pin problem.

A

give it a good cleaning and light lube first. Always the best home solution to a malfunctioning gun. Not feeding? Clean it. Not cycling? Clean it. Not firing? Clean it. Even more true with semis because of the moving parts relying on the pressure from the cartridge.

What gun is it?

Guest martin
Is this a semi by chance?.

My 10/22s will sometimes missfire if the chamber is claggy, what happens is that the round has not gone all the way in. The firing pin pushes the case forward but does not have enough momentum to detonate it. This will however usually leave a slight mark.

If a bolt action or a semi with a clean chamber then is looks like a firing pin problem.

A

give it a good cleaning and light lube first. Always the best home solution to a malfunctioning gun. Not feeding? Clean it. Not cycling? Clean it. Not firing? Clean it. Even more true with semis because of the moving parts relying on the pressure from the cartridge.

What gun is it?

Hi,the rifle is a Browning 'A' bolt.I will give the bolt a real good clean even though it looks clean enough(I do clean the rifle regularly)............................Martin.

p.s. it is approximately 9yrs old,and,I have had it from new.

Strip the bolt. Clean it and lube sparingly.~Andrew

If that does not work and the fireing pin and spring looks OK take it to a decent riflesmith. If you need a name give us a very rough idea of your area, someone will know.

A

I was out last night,and had 5-6 misfires,and when I checked the bullet there was no strike mark at all.Have I got a major problem,or is it something I can do myself? It did work on other occassions by the way.......................

DSC00251.jpg

All input will be gratefully received........................Martin.

hi martin

i have been having similar problems. mine will misfire 3 times then it will fire.

broken spring

ATB

Colin :lol:

Guest martin
Are they Winchester subs by any chance??

No Vim they are Eleys,that's all I use through it mate.I'm taking it in to the gunsmith Wednesday,so I will soon know...............fingers crossed it don't cost too much..................Martin.

• 2 weeks later...
No Vim they are Eleys,that's all I use through it mate.I'm taking it in to the gunsmith Wednesday,so I will soon know...............fingers crossed it don't cost too much..................Martin.

Hi Martin,

whilst not perhaps the cause in your rifle, sometimes dry firing a rimfire results in a dimple forming on the receiving end of the barrel, hence changing the headspace for this rifle (remedy: never dry fire a rimfire without a round in the chamber- empty round that is). The result then is that the pin is not hiting as hard as it should (as the rim of the round is further forward than intended) and misfires happen. I do hope it is a broken spring as col 48 suggests, as if it is an altered headspace, you will need a bit more work to make it fire again.

best wishes

Finman

Guest martin

Just to say that it is sorted now,it was a bit gummed up,so a good scrub with action blaster,and a light lube,and,all ok now.Thanks for all of your replies though,they were very informative.Just been up the stables and dropped a monster rabbit,a buck that weight 5lb 2ozs cleaned out...............that is some rabbit isn't it.

Archived