Advanced contour interpretation

Brummy Mark

These maps only have contours with height markers, no roads, no water courses, no bodies of water, no dwellings, oh and no markings for cliffs or crags! The later has certainly made candidates look very closely at working out accurate slope angles before committing to a nav' plan! as appreciating contour merging hasn't always proved to be useful.

What an evil idea :lol:

I can go 'one better'; I've trained people without even the contours - just the grid ;)

:lol:

No, really. On occasion issued FOOs and CPs with bare graph paper instead of maps and ordered a target to be engaged....as a mindwarp technical challenge.

I can go 'one better'; I've trained people without even the contours - just the grid ;)

No, really. On occasion issued FOOs and CPs with bare graph paper instead of maps and ordered a target to be engaged....as a mindwarp technical challenge.

You weren't on Salisbury Plain a few months ago with your mind warp?

ARE THEY 1-125000 SCALE?

These are 1:25,000, but if i wanted them in 1:10,000 or 1:5,000 then not a problem.

Done this too! It then comes down to how well the candidate can accurately measure their 'flat distance travelled' over possible complex terrain.

If i was to be dropped at a grid ref with compass and graph paper, tomorrow, I reckon I could get to a grid ref 2km away and out of site with 100m accuracy easy, regardless of terrain. So accuracy to 6 fig grid ref.

Not bragging but its doable and have had the pleasure of seeing candidates appear over ridges heading towards a rv with me for further tasking, just grid refs, compass, pencil and paper. Its great to also get them making their own very accurate maps after these types of 'appreciation of a skill set' courses.

And if any one wants to brush up, pm me :)

Is that why that shell was 5miles wrong last month bd ? Lol

Archived