Powders for a 7mm Shehane

dorg

Having played with the advised load for my Shehane and blowing the last 3 primers out of 5, 58grns of H4831sc although shoots very very well is just too hot for my liking and dropping the weight down just opens up the grouping. What other powders would give me the same velocity without the pressure, I was thinking N560, I also have some IMR 4831 or would you just keep dropping the H4831 charge until I hit another accuratcy node. This is abit of a bugger but the primer pockets are now 20thou bigger in diameter than new brass which isn't good.

Sell the H4831 to me :D

N165 will work and I have just done some very basic testing with RL22, which showed good velocity.

N560 will work but if you talk to Laurie and Vince both will tell you that it is aggressive.

Try N165. It just works in the straight 284 with 180s as a compressed load (2,825 fps 180gn SMK 30-inch barrel). With a bit more case volume to play with, it should be well suited to the Shehane.

Another alternative is Lovex SO71 (used to be labelled Accurate-3100). I've still to try it in my 'straight' version, but some American manuals recommend it with heavier hunting bullets, so it might do well with 175 and 180gn match bullets.

IMR-4831 is significantly faster burning than either H version so top loads need to come down around 3gn. That's not to say it won't work well as nothing is certain until you try it in this game. I'd say it would be better suited to the 'straight' version, and maybe even give its best with 168 and 175gn bullets here.

N560 will likely produce the goods. If you've got some, it'd be worth trying. It's the old trade off between MV and barrel life issue. You'll likely get some very good MVs, but could pay heavily for it in barrel wear. I'm keeping off the high energy powders in my 284 as I'll shoot the rifle a lot in club comps and want to get two or three seasons out of the barrel.

It seems I need to aquire some N165, I note Dannys shehane runs well on it, anyone know where there is some?

Here are some I tested in my Shehane on Saturday.

Groups are bad it was blowing a hooly really had to hold it tight to stop the gun moving.

Vit 165 seems a bit slow but the vit160 got to a point that more powder did not mean faster bullet

The Superformance gave better results BUT unknown if its temperature sensitive like RL17

I will go with the Superformance and see how it goes if it shows pressure signs when warm then at least I can go back to the vit 160.

I understand vit 160 is hard to get but as I have two tubs I will use it as a back up.

Hope this is of some use to anybody out there.

V

PhotoScan3_zps0df41aec.jpg

PhotoScan2_zps68b9a39b.jpg

PhotoScan_zpsab79e6cb.jpg

5R Twist, I would be having another look at 56.6 grains of N160, 2962, 2962 and 2962 fps.

Hi Ian

I see your point about the vit its my reserve or even be my main one.

The only reason im using the superformance is because its available

The vit maybe not around for another year.

Viv

I had a play yesterday , I had hoped to make it to the range put jobs cropped up, I have found an accuracy load at 54.5 giving 2840 of short cut . This seams a nice soft safe load and ideal for what is needed. I have to say thankyou to Martin Miles for his help and sound advise.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody tried the reload swiss powders especially RS70 for a Shehane and who brings this into the country 10kg tubs sound as if they may be economical to use.

Hi Ian

I see your point about the vit its my reserve or even be my main one.

The only reason im using the superformance is because its available

The vit maybe not around for another year.

Viv

Hannams received another Viht shipment around 10 days ago including their full order of N160 - it was on its way out to gunshops the length and breadth of the land last week, so supplies should be plentiful again. I don't hear anything that suggests this powder will be in short supply from the factory in the near future.

Has anybody tried the reload swiss powders especially RS70 for a Shehane and who brings this into the country 10kg tubs sound as if they may be economical to use.

The Reload Swiss range will be launched sometime later this year in the UK once a retail distribution chain has been put into place, and crucially loads data has been provided through ballistics lab testing as there is a paucity of properly pressure tested data currently available.

My understanding is that the bulk supply set-up for the present limited range of Nitro-Chemie powders will be terminated when, more likely well before, the 'official' introduction takes place. So, goodbye TR140 and welcome RS50, likewise goodbye Elcho 17 and say hello to RS60, albeit at higher prices.

RS70 is a high-energy powder akin to Re22, Norma MRP, and Hodgdon SUPERformance. Its factory designation is N-C El-N 150 EA. I have not heard of even samples of this powder having been provided to anyone to date by Commonside Firearms. The rather faster burning single-base N-C WLP 225 (RS62) was trialled amongst a few shooters but not introduced by Commonside as one of its repackaged bulk propellants range for the UK. It works well in the straight .284 with slightly lighter bullets such as the 162gn A-Max, and would probably work well with 175s and 180s but with some velocity loss compared to those akin to slower burning 4831sc. RS70 looks a possibility on paper, but as always, one has to see how it'll work in practice when it becomes available,

Archived