fixed muzzle break

I think you could only do it legally by having the barrel back-bored to make the brake; pretty sure that the instant the barrel gets cut below 24" it becomes section 5 - and can never make the step back regardless of what's added to it - once section 5, forever section 5.

Fitting a brake can hardly constitute a repair. Once its been reduced below 24" its section 5 and no addition of a brake will make it section one again.

I would not want to defend that in court.

I think you could only do it legally by having the barrel back-bored to make the brake; pretty sure that the instant the barrel gets cut below 24" it becomes section 5 - and can never make the step back regardless of what's added to it - once section 5, forever section 5.

Dr

What about those Mossberg pump actions that are sold by a well know gun shop that are fitted with a barrel extension to bring them up to 24 inches surley as a short barrel shotgun they are section 5 then turned into a sect 1

If I buy a saiga 12 have the barrel gut to say 22inches can I have a muzzle break perminatley attached to bring me back to the legal 24inches and still be within the law?

Interesting question - I have a 27" Vepr 12 ( and ordered a muzzle brake which is on the way ) - was thinking of the same thing myself.

I seem to recall the CG Firearms were offering a package - shortened and muzzlebrake already fitted. Not sure what length though and their website seems frozen.

If you need cheap 5 rd molot mags, I can point you in right direction,

Looking at the legislation reveals this .............

2.32 However, section 7(3) of the 1988 Act

exempts from the provisions of section 7(2)

any firearm where the barrel has been

shortened by a registered firearms dealer for

the sole purpose of replacing part of it so as

to produce a barrel not less than 24 inches

in length.

So, I would argue that if you take a 27" barrel, remove 7" of it and add a 4" muzzle brake, then you have "removed part of it" ( the 7" ) with the sole purposeof replacing it ( with the muzzle brake ) to produce a barrel of not less than 24"

Archived