Magpies

gunner

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I shot this one this morning - He couldn't decide if he was a crow or a magpie.

th_20140531_084238_zpsefb48e05.jpg

Looks like a juvenile as the leangth of his tale is short . And the definition of colour in his feathers arnt quite there yet , well he won't be getting anymore defined in plumage now anyway :lol: This is interesting tho , i remember a few years back seeing an all black 100% magpie on the same bit of ground every morning for about a month , then he went missing ! I think some one stole my idea - took it with an air rifle and sent it to the taxidermist ! Thats what id of done if id managed to get it !

I bet John Darling would of too ;) RIP

Looks like a juvenile as the leangth of his tale is short . And the definition of colour in his feathers arnt quite there yet , well he won't be getting anymore defined in plumage now anyway :lol: This is interesting tho , i remember a few years back seeing an all black 100% magpie on the same bit of ground every morning for about a month , then he went missing ! I think some one stole my idea - took it with an air rifle and sent it to the taxidermist ! Thats what id of done if id managed to get it !

I bet John Darling would of too ;) RIP

Here's another shot of him - nearly all black.

th_20140531_084330_zps3425f475.jpg

Just dropped a couple , 113yds & 198yds , with 1710 22lr , had 25 moa for the 198yd , and was 25moa + 2 mildots to get to 260 , at 260 , was close enough to scare them into moving ON .

At 198-260yds , did notice that they would still sit around for 4-5 shots before flying off , so subsonic ammo & no suppressor , still quite enough at 200+ yds to not spook them right away .

I did notice , that I need to make drop table in smaller incraments , than the 25yd spacing , as out past 150 to 175 I had 7moa between them , will try 10yd spacing on the distance , see how that works .

later Chris

Finished my trapping now, had a late run on crows, 6 or 7 in the last three weeks. Finshed with around 40 maggies and about 25 crows, got 1 maggie and 3 crows to rifle as they seem trap shy.

A

Finished my trapping now, had a late run on crows, 6 or 7 in the last three weeks. Finshed with around 40 maggies and about 25 crows, got 1 maggie and 3 crows to rifle as they seem trap shy.

A

Nice A , im no way near finished ! But did get the 2nd of a pair 2 days ago that was soo shy - because id nailed his partner . Every time id have him almost lined up with s410-177 , when i would cheek the rifle heed see the movement . This happened 6 odd times over the last 2weeks . He had somehow got the feeder on the floor taken one of the food balls under the bbq bench and was having a good meal , he did look up at for at least 5 seconds but i didn't move and he carried on ! seconds later a 7.9 accupell whistled thru the boiler room richochayed off the patio and tinged off the metal shed 10 yards behind . He made it a few feet and fell over ! Im going to put in some bisley HP - pestcontrolls now , but a wise one off the streets as it were :)

Managed a 220yd shot with the 20prac last night on a young magpie, needless to say a shovel was needed!!

Sweet - its nice picking them off . BTW - whats your load you settled on for the 20PRAC ? Im having one built , gotta take barrel blank to niel monday , my new action will be there and i haven't seen it yet . Soo excited :) - cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Iv noticed allot less maggies in the garden , and allot more young ones out the nest mainly identified by there short tails and flittering wings by there parent bird ! <_<

• 4 weeks later...

There have been a lot of magpies around the farm this year but I have only had one so far, far too crafty for me. I've spent hours sat with rifle looking over shot rabbits as bait but they stayed well away. I went for a walk this evening with my wife and our terrier and decided after working at the game fair to take my shotgun along to. Couldn't believe my luck when two magpies dropped over the hedge in front of me to fly off again. Right and left put them both back on the deck. Two pigeon and a rabbit later and I was 5 for 5. All good things come to an end though, missed a pigeon with both barrels on the way home. Pigeon stir fry was pretty good tonight, rabbit and mustard sandwich for lunch tomorrow.

• 10 months later...

Well guess who got 3 magpies today and 6 other corvids today ? Mememe But the 3rd magpie smashed my pb on magpies @380 yard head-shot too :) ! In a valley with almost still wind . This shot was made a whole lot easier as looking down the line of flight , i was blessed with those light fluffy things in the air , out to 200 ish they were coming head on but from there onwards and at target they were sliiightly right to left . So i aimed 1" right - sweet when i seen him tumble out the tree . Think my previous was 278 yard .

but two of the other corvids were also 373 and 351 yards , missed my first clean cold bore at 170 odd , but after that hit everything dead !

Edited by gunner

• 1 month later...

Used a Larson trap for years and I'm over 40plus magpies this year, but I've never fought a fox cub before!! My father checked the trap and found a young dog fox in the Larson trap. Soon got delt with I won't ad it to my tally for the year though.

no more satisfying shot than magpies!!

have a one man vendetta on the population behind my house

as a result we now have a plethora of small bird species

the bastards still get a few chicks when I drop my watch though!

shot one the other day, left it out to bring in some more and was astounded when a herring gull dropped on it within 30 seconds and ripped it to shreds!!

• 2 weeks later...

I counted 11 of the little b*****ds in a tree in my garden yesterday. They were only 10 yards from the kitchen window and sat that close together that one shot with a skeet choked 12guage would have possibly done the lot of them. 11 with one shot would certainly have been an unbeatable record.

Although hugely tempting, having the armed Police knocking on the door 10 mins later would have put a dampener on things. I can't wait to move back to no neighbourville!

Opportunistic little ba××tuds , skeet lol , you mite as well use a punt gun on em , an ARV may be there pretty soon lol. May need tree surgeon for tree they were in . Im on the hunt tomorrow for our black and white feathered quarry ! Will post if i have decent results :)

Todays hunt / Sunday , ok i didn't manage any magpie , but i managed to down 3 woodies and 4 carrion, all but 1 crow was taken from the top of 2 or 3 trees in my valley shoot , - Perfect backstop etc , its only 120 acres but perfect rifle sniping ground . Wind was strong and variable and wasn't 90 degree either , all shots between 260-280 apart from the last shot .

I spotted and decided to try and stalk a magpie , using a large bush to conceal my approach . When i got down and sighted in heed gone . But not 5 minutes had passed and a young carrion was near the same spot but a little futher out . Ranged @329yards . Steep downhill / cosine effect etc i knew it would be about 1"/½ to 2" high impact . So dialled 2moa - kept cheaking grass / tree tops / sheeps wool on fencing all giving me a better idea what wind was upto , it paid off ,i shot , he momentarily jumped and landed on his back wings open but now still.

Funny thing was when i got there id got him in the head but aimed for body , in my hast to shoot id aimed centre mass but still impact seemed too high so i cheak my zero , 1 " high @200 !!! Then headed home , good shot i thought :)

Edited by gunner

• 4 months later...

Went out early afternoon to do some magpie culling , on 1 farm . Using my 20 practical ranges were relativeley short around 200 yards . I park up in farm yard and set up just under barn , shooting off top of van / i regularly do this . So got magpie #1 in first field about 180 something , waited a while and heard another chattering up in tree above its comrade untill it decided to come down - pissh-smack ! Waited a bit longer and another eventually came along - pissh-smack again ! Tidy 3 in bag . Spotted a 4th but a long way out , i ranged it at 550 so decided to pull out the 6br , dialled the 10 odd moa wind acounted for , shot and it went just over its back ! Bugger , but from a clean bore so , had it been a fox , different outcome . Never mind , the best shot i switched back to the practical as a carrion crow @370 was skulking around a field to the right 3¼ moa dialled aimed a hint right -no wind in barn ! but it was about 1mph in field , waited for right moment , sent it and he went down - luvlee jublee , i absolutely love this 20 it hardly ever missis !

what do you use for bait gunner?

I dont , on that farm anyway , they love to skulk around the farm near barns , farmers house is just to left , a small caravan park to the right and sheep almost every where else in the small field in between it all . There are alot more field futher out . However many i shoot there more replace them , i do cringe sometimes when caravaners are sat out in summer reading paper then my 2o prac goes off lol there only 150-200 away , hence i need a hmr replacement ! ( 17 squirrel ) should be the perfect 150-200 yard magpie basher , quieter than the .20 id imagine - but thats another story . Back to bait , rabbit normally works , theyl have the eye out fast and sometimes be gone , did that in summer in this farmyard thinking on it , only had to wait 10 minutes for the first ! That day i used air 177 - finished with 3 i think .

• 4 weeks later...

What is this mythical black and white feathered beast of which you talk? We dont get magpies round my neck of the woods. Although you only need to go ten miles or so before you do see them.....

• 2 weeks later...

I dont , on that farm anyway , they love to skulk around the farm near barns , farmers house is just to left , a small caravan park to the right and sheep almost every where else in the small field in between it all . There are alot more field futher out . However many i shoot there more replace them , i do cringe sometimes when caravaners are sat out in summer reading paper then my 2o prac goes off lol there only 150-200 away , hence i need a hmr replacement ! ( 17 squirrel ) should be the perfect 200 yard magpie basher , quieter id imagine - but thats another story . Back to bait , rabbit normally works , theyl have the eye out fast and sometimes be gone , did that in summer in this farmyard thinking on it , only had to wait 10 minutes for the first ! That day i used air 177 - finished with 3 i think .

Just go 17AH ( or 17HH) rather than 17 Squirrel. 200 yards is a fair way for 17AH let alone a short case variant. 17Sq will have a zero resale value, 17HH will be far better.

A

Just go 17AH ( or 17HH) rather than 17 Squirrel. 200 yards is a fair way for 17AH let alone a short case variant. 17Sq will have a zero resale value, 17HH will be far better.

A

Hi ally , i considered the 17 hornet a while back , but its too much like my 20 practical trajectory and speed wise , the squirrel will suit two of my shoots well , have an edge on hmr , and be reloadable , using the hornet parent case . Apparently QL recons firing 20 grain Vmax at upto and over 3100 , not too far from the 17 hornet , but quiter slightly . Resale value ? Its being built to keep and could allways be rebarreled back to 17 / 22 hornet . If you could see what im planning to build , its a little beauty . ;)