22lr tracer rounds

Addz131

Has anyone come across 22lr tracer in this country I no piney mountain Canada makes them but I do recall seeing a pack of Ely 22 tracer years ago just wondered where they went and if theirs any left before I contact Canadians and have to pay mega shipping fees and also is anyone els interested in them

I bought 50 or 100, I can't remember which now, from Henry Krank in Pudsey some years back. The company occasionally got them, but whether that still applies I wouldn't know. They worked fine. I always thought it would have been interesting to shoot them in some open space somewhere at a steepish muzzle elevation to see the little cartridge's longer range trajectory - but never did.

Ahh! You mean like this :

th_tracer.jpg

These are great fun to shoot, especially at the longer ranges. I recently contacted Eley direct and they told me they no longer make them and have no plans to do so.

If you do find an old box you might be disappointed, I find the have quite a short shelf life. I horded a couple of boxes for around 5-7 years and didn't work at all when I tried them recently.

They are still made by other companies abroad but not seen any here other than the Eley ones (I have seen old military .22's but again didn't trace at all)

I'd be interested in some too. I did search for them last year but could not find anyone here who stocked them or even knew where to get them from.

I think someone with the powers to import them would have more than enough customers willing to buy them for fun

I've got some eley in the cupboard but they don't work anymore (light up) so i'd be up for a group buy as well and this time I would use them sooner as they don't seem to have a great shelf life?

I'm in, if a group buy can be sorted.

Saying that, what would happen if the importer/rfd lives miles away, how does it look for transfer to my rfd cost wise??

atb

Jamie

I have a few hundred Eley and RWS here that I'm saving for another night shoot.

The Eley ones light at fairly short distance (at a rough guess around the 20yd mark) and burn out quite quickly.

The RWS ones however don't ignite until they are around 50yds but will stay glowing until somewhere around the 200+ mark. Much better.

I know Eley don't make them any more (they burnt the machinery) and I think RWS may have stopped making them as well.

If another supplier could be sourced that is willing to ship to the UK there may be a market. However many ranges would not allow them so they might sit on a shelf for some time.

A company in the US make them (I cannot fin the details just now) in various colours of 'glow' but the cost was quite prohibitive before you even looked at shipping.

• 7 years later...