semi auto shotgun

I'm considering getting a Semi auto shotgun ,having never had one before I have a few questions. I am looking for a left ejecting model. I want this gun for general rough shooting, a bit of pigeon shooting and the odd clay . I like the idea of something handy a bit like a 20 bore. I know that Benelli do the M2 and Montefeltro and Remington the versa in lefties .

I was considering a 26" barrel, though I believe many people prefer 28 or 30. But they seem a bit ungainly. I have used a 24" benelli in the past but found it too short.

Anyone else know of any other makers of leftie's ?

would you go for wood or synthetic stocks?

And is my choice of barrel length ok?

thanks

I've only recently got into shotgunning but from friends experiences, I can highly recommend Hatsan semi autos. They are cheap to buy but are rock solid and well made. They come in left or right handed and some models come with two barrels in a selection of lengths/ribs/sights so you get one gun for game and trap for example.

Iv had 3 benellis , super nova 3+1/2" , a M1 super 90 - 26" that was great in the hide ! I have a SBE2 and at 28" i wouldnt want anything longer tho , its comfy to shoot all day too ! no gas pistons etc soo easy to strip clean ! Now im into rifles it hardly gets used :( not sure , not sure that they do a lefty - benellis would be my first choice tho. atb tim .

just spent 3 days rebuilding a SBE2. for the use it had there was a lot or ware. every easy to work on but parts are stupidly expensive. when they go wrong, they are a pain to sort out. if you had unburnt powder you get build ups all over the place and one of the main reasons for failure. answer is to not use damp cartridges.

I like the Beretta u2. about 20'000 shells in mine so far. very dirty gun, takes time to look after it and clean it. because of the cycle operation you very rarely get unburnt powder just black coke and carbon build up. for the money i dont think i would buy another but then i do like the lack of recoil.

a 28" barrel on a semi is more than enough, a friend did have a Baretta U2 in 30" and it was unusable in a hide and out on the marsh. he soon took it back and came home with the 28" U2

if you want more then just put extended choke in.

Hi. As far as I know the only lefties available new are Hatsan(been there, done that, thrown it in the bin), Bennelli and Fabarm. I had a Bennelli M2 but I had problems with jamming and rusting barrel,swapped it for a Fabarm and it has been great, you can use steel ammo with full choke and mine has been faultless.

DD

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 28"M2..lovely, quick handling, gun that's handled every cartridge I've ever stuck through it.

Liked it so much I treated myself to a s/h Cordoba 20 which is another sweet handling little gun.... But, it cycled Eley CT 24's for several clay shoots but then started playing up on the cycling.

It took several months and money spent on various cartridges that were "guaranteed to work" before I discovered that it only likes Rio's and its back to faultless with these.

Cracking little gun and so quick to change line mid-swing if needs be......which is quite often in my case!

Atb

Fizz

Archived