Short Barrel 6.5x47 Recommended Powder

Blaserman

Isn't is possible to send your ammo to the proof house and get it pressure tested ?

There's no real point sending a round for testing- it needs to be fired in the gun it's been loaded for.

The way to approach this would be to find someone who has an Oehler 43 Lab. Have them fit a strain gauge to it and you'll get a valid figure. The guys at NZ Hunter have my clubmates' 43 on permanent loan and it's provided some interesting insights at times.

Laurie is very correct in his assertion the 47 case can hide a lot of pressure. A extremely efficient design.

I'm just glad nobody has picked up on the speeds I was getting when it was a 26" barrel! I can't really understand what the fuss is about, I can now re-use my six times fired cases by using large rifle magnum primers, could this be the reason I'm getting my seemingly high velocity?

I'm just glad nobody has picked up on the speeds I was getting when it was a 26" barrel! I can't really understand what the fuss is about, I can now re-use my six times fired cases by using large rifle magnum primers, could this be the reason I'm getting my seemingly high velocity?

You are a man after my own heart :D

By co-incidence, and further to my previous comment, I was up seeing the NZ Hunter crew today to check vels on the 6x47L. Greg happened to be testing one of their Bush Pigs, basically a cut down/suppressed T3. The big difference with this one was it was in 6.5-284, not the usual .7-08/.308/.260. The barrel (a take-off from a donor Rem) was pruned so the Gen4 Hardy suppressor just cleared the forend, this making 16" of barrel.

He had a strain gauge on the barrel so he could monitor pressures during testing on the Oehler 43. The accuracy load with Re17/162 A-Maxs was giving 2850fps with 61,000psi pressure. N560 vels weren't anywhere near as good. Groups were sub 1/3" and opened up slightly when he went to 63,000 psi. Total weight with a 3.5-10 CDS Leupold scope is about 6.5lbs so you're talking a pretty serious performer in a very compact and light package.

Given Re17 delivers about the max vel you can expect in this class of case, you can't expect a 47 size case to deliver barnstormer vels in short barrels with std powders

I hope it's not too late to suggest you start 10% lower than my own personal findings, although that may, according to Quickload, let you find yourself in deep water, just be careful, as other posters suggest it is a cartridge that hides high pressures quite easily.

If you do some searching, you will find Varget and Re15 are the go-to std powders for 123 class bullets in the 6.5 x47. I wouldn't be choosing Varget for 140s but my gun just loves it for 123s and I'm pretty sure Darrel (Foxing2night) uses it too.

I've seen two different relative burning rate positions for this powder - on either side of H4895. It may be that early lots were slightly faster burning than the current supply. In any event, it IS faster burning than Varget. Unfortunately, neither ADI which makes this powder and sells it as Benchmark 8208 in its locality (Australia), or Hodgdon provide any data for any powder in 6.4X47L. It's only listed in the larger case .260 for varmint bullets up to the 107gn Sierra, but has loads for nearly all bullets shown for 7mm-08. It gives lower velocities in the seven with heavier bullets compared to those from Varget, 4350, 4831.

There was lots of interest on US forums such as AccurateShooter when it was launched and people asked if it works in 6BR and 6,5X47L. Those who've tried it suggest that it works in 6BR, but it certainly hasn't dented American 6BR shooters' view that Varget is THE powder for the cartridge. one guy who'd tried it in the 6.5 with everything from light varmint bullets to 140s, reported it was fine for bullets up to 108gn, but inferior to slower burners above that weight.

Borisserge, do you know anybody who's still got 8208 in stock? (I like it in .308 Win with 155s but have run out. It works very well in the 308, but again only with the lighter bullets, 185gn is as high as people dare go and the velocities are down compared to H4895 and Varget with that weight.)

Hi Laurie, I have used it with some success in 22-250 and 6br, and I have 2 tubs left, and my local rfd has one or two tubs left.

I will be receiving my 6.5x47 in a few weeks time and I was thinking of seeing if it would work with 108 or 120gr. (lapua scenar L)

It looks like 8208 XBR will work OK with the 108, but you'd lose velocity and maybe some precision with the 120 Scenar. Of the powders currently widely available, Lovex SO65, Viht N140 and N150, Ramshot Big Game (double-based ball type) will all work with a 120gn bullet. I use N150 with the 123gn Scenar, a mildly compressed load, with very good results. Several people I know use N550 with 120s and heavier bullets which ups velocities by another 75 or 100 fps, but I'm trying to avoid regular use of double-base and high-energy powders in the interests of barrel life.

Have been reading this post with great interest, I am at the moment "between the rain and wind" doing some load development with the 123gr scenars and varget, have so far tried loads from 37.2 to 38.2grs, (all 10 thou off lands) .

did not get a decent group until the 38.2 load and was considering going further to shrink the group and up the load a little more, that is until I read this post, so now I am not so keen on upping the load. Question gentlemen, I don't have quickload so can't check that its safe and most loads that I have heard for this cal are around the 37.5 to 38.0gr of varget.

Best group so far with 38.2grs is 1/2" at 125yds I recon it should do a little better.

The barrel is 26" Lothar Walther semi custom Tikka, have not bothered yet with the chrono.

Should have mentioned before that the brass is new Lapua trimed to length and deburred only and not full length sized

39grs with this combo seems to be "right up there" from loads seen on the Net.

Mine wasn't showing serious pressure signs at 38.6 but I stuck to 38grs (2945 with 27" bbl) as it gave tighter groups

Thanks for the info gents.

Chris, just as a matter of interest how far off the lands were you as loads around 37.8 and upward seem to be compresed at 10thou off lands.

Thanks for the info gents.

Chris, just as a matter of interest how far off the lands were you as loads around 37.8 and upward seem to be compresed at 10thou off lands.

I fined that the best way to set up a rifle is with the bullet kissing the lands (this is my starting point).

I have had my 6.5x47 for a few years now and I would just like to say that my loads are safe in my rifle.

I can run my rifle from 38g right up to 39.2 and even then I have not seen any pressure signs, but I do not want to burn out my barrel either??.

My go to load is 38.5 grains of either Varget or Rel15, either with 123 scenars or 130g jlk (The JLK bullets have set three ukbra records)

Also I have used the 95g b/tip for foxing with the same load, same point of aim as well which was a bonus,,

My honest opinion is that the 130g range of bullets is best suited to the 6.5x47 as is Varget and reloader 15, but I fined the rel 15 burns very dirty indeed.

I have tried a lot of other powders over the last 5 years and have got data for most of them,,

Tony all I would say is let the rifle tell you what it likes don't assume that other peoples loads will work in your rifle, ok to try them but work up slowly,

start with the bullet kissing the lands and I bet this is were you will stay,

Best advice I would give is to use cci450m primers as my rifle did not shoot, until I was advised to try the 450m,s.

Forgot to say that mine is running at 2914fps and very accurate,, ;)

H4350 I found was giving good groups but just lacking in velocity,,,

All shooting done with a jet-z compact moderator

Give us a shout if you need any info??

Darrel

Ive been up to 39gn varget with 123 amax, settled on 38. Got some good groups at 36.7gn. Found new brass very tight, now run a k&m expander 6.5mm through before first use and then neck size in wilson die, seating feels just right now, before always left a ring on bullet.

Archived