Lincoln Premier Basic or Gold or something else?

So, I've just put in for a SGC as I don't think adding a section one to my FAC will work for what I'd be using it for.

I've decided that I want to spend less than £1000 given it will be used mostly as a social thing rather than a hunting/competition tool.

That puts me in mind that a Lincoln Premier Basic would be ideal but I know next to nothing about shotguns.

Is the Premier Gold worth the extra or is it just pretty?

Is there another choice that I have missed?

webley & scott 900 series I think around 900 quid mark

I had one of their semi autos and cant complain bout it at all

mate bought a bettensoli for around 700 quid don't know what model but was new and a bonny gun

I think nowadays with modern machining etc its just down to looks when in this price range , I believe a lot of the stuff made in Italy or turkey under licence for various companies.

thing to think about if not much experience with shotguns is if you want a game gun or a sporter game gun comes with auto re-engaging safety sporter will not.

so one thing to ask what you want there

both will do either clays or a days game shooting no problem.

paul.

Thanks for that, the auto safety is definitely good info and something I'll look into.

I'd rather have a good used higher quality make -Beretta,say,than a lower grade new one...for the same outlay....think about the 'social' bit too- semi autos are less 'social' friendly-others can't easily see if they are unloaded/safe or not,compared to a break open S/S or O/U,and most game/rough shoots won't allow them-partly for that reason....clays shoots accept them,fashion though tends to O/U. S/S is the classic field design,often a bit lighter.12 guage,unless a 20 really appeals /carry weight is critical.

I think fit is the single most important thing with a shotgun - difficult to define, but try shouldering as many as possible and see which ones seem to come to the shoulder already pointing at where you are looking.

Second hand market should have loads of useful guns within your price range - but it really depends what you are mainly going to shoot - clays or occasional game/rough shooting? For clays/occasional game, most favour the OU, for game/rough shooting the divide is not so clear. I am one of those weirdo's who prefer SxS, even for clays, and am yet to be convinced the OU has that much supremacy unless you intend to compete at high level. For many types of game/rough shooting, I think the SxS has advantages, often to do with manipulating the gun in the field.

If I had £1,000 to spend on a shotgun, I'd look for a really nice tight old side by side English box-lock ejector by a Birmingham maker - as an example I regularly use a 1920's Army& Navy boxlock NE, which I paid the princely sum of £600 for, but is in its original case and still has much of the colour case-hardening on the action. It fits me like a glove.

However, if you are likely to need to shoot ducks and therefore shoot non-lead shot, a more modern steel-proved gun would be a better bet. Bismuth cartridges are at least £1 a pop!!!

I,m no shotgun man believe me but I do have one just for the odd bit of fun and it is in fact a Lincoln Premier Gold.I was told fit is the key thing and after trying out at least 20 makes and models the Premier Gold stood out head and shoulders for me.I could see the difference in quality compared to Beretta etc but this model had really nice wood and was as well finished as I couild appreciate in a shotgun

.I was happy to have paid somewhere in the region of £700 to £800 new for this gun,,,it does all I could possibly be capable of and it fitted me off the shelf.

Bushdog and Onehole-absolutely agree-fit is top of the list,because it affects function far more than with a rifle.Serious Edwardian

shotgun shooters spent a lot of cash making sure their guns fitted them even better than their Saville Row suits!

Thankfully,it has little to do with price now-though perhaps the classic S/S remains the best balanced design.But you have simply got to feel that you and the gun will shoot well-ideally that the gun becomes part of you-and that starts with fit.

If you miss,blame the cartridge-which is more like rifle shooting!

Gbal

Well, I spent this morning at my local RFD who rather wonderfully has a clay setup on site. I tried loads of guns and in the end, although my heart and shoulder wanted £5000 worth of Browning, my head settled for a close second placed, lightly used Miroku MK38 Sporter for £900 plus free storage until my SGC arrives.

Thanks all for the advice.

Well, I spent this morning at my local RFD who rather wonderfully has a clay setup on site. I tried loads of guns and in the end, although my heart and shoulder wanted £5000 worth of Browning, my head settled for a close second placed, lightly used Miroku MK38 Sporter for £900 plus free storage until my SGC arrives.

Thanks all for the advice.

Brill,,,,,now you can go spend £4100 on a new rifle!!!! hehe

Honest question, forgive me. How can you "buy" a shotgun without a Certificate ?

My understanding is that with rifles, (potentially different rules) I cannot put down a deposit or purchase a specific calibre without said specific calibre being approved and my being in receipt of a FAC ticket with this slot.

Interested.

I suppose he can buy it (pay for it, or deposit, or whatever agreement he makes with the dealer), but not take possession until his certificate is granted. Given he already has a Firearms Certificate, I should have thought grant of a shotgun licence would be a formality?

Shotgun licences do not have "slots" in the same way that firearms licenses do - once you have a shotgun licence, you can buy as many shotguns of whatever calibre as you want (presumably assuming you have secure storage for them). You do not have to justify the purchase of each one.

Also meant to say, I'm not aware of any reason why you cannot put down a deposit for a new rifle of whatever calibre prior to having such a slot on your firearms certificate - clearly you would not be able to take possession of such a rifle until the certificate was suitably varied, but the business transaction would be between you and the dealer concerned. I have certainly put deposits to retain firearms before I have got my certificate varied on many occasions (some would say too many !!!).

Honest question, forgive me. How can you "buy" a shotgun without a Certificate ?

As Bushdog alluded to, I've paid for it and it is to all intents mine but it lives with the RFD until my SGC arrives. If for some of reason it's not granted, he'll refund me on a no harm no foul basis.

Archived