222 or a 1.7 center fire

Guest luckyjohn99

Guest luckyjohn99

i have an 1.7 hmr and thinking about getting another gun but not sure on what to get i mainly shoot in wales with a bunch of lads ..we mainly shoot rabbits and fox but i'm no expert in they gun world if you goto a shop they will sell u anything to get money out of you..what would be a better gun a 222 or a 1.7 center fire i am having them put on my licence as we speak any help plz

222 over the .17 but as silent says don`t discount the 223.

Ballistics wise theres not a lot between the 222 & 223 but theres a lot more choice of both rifles and factory ammo in the latter :D

I had a 17 rem about 15 years ago and it was a great little cal in the right conditions but it suffers from severe wind drift despite what some might say ;)

.22-250 or .223.

If its a real firecracker your lookin for then .220 Swift...but barrel life is short on those.

The .221 Fireball is a good one too

308Panther

Now if we`re talking on those lines 22-250 ;)

I would go for the .222.

I read on this board so often that the 308 is a better cartridge then the 30-06 because while similar in power, the 308 in inherently more accurate. Well, the same goes for the .222 VS the .223. I own them both. ~Andrew

+1 on the 222 I have a tikka 595 and have never regretted it. The 223 benefits from the military connection for cheap fmj ammo and it is popular across the pond for the same reason, but the 222 is inherently more accurate, its quieter and gives up little in distance.50 gr nosler ballistic tips rem 7 1/2 primer, 25grs BLC2, 3000fps, sweet to shoot,nice and quiet without a mod, .5" grps or better all day, whats to not like?.

p1010004-1.jpg

187yds easy stuff. legal for muntjac here , roe in scotland.

I have to go for the .222 as well, superb little round, but it depends what distances you are shooting over. If you are looking at longer ranges then you should probably consider one of the faster .22 centrefire's. They are all excellent calibres in their own right and you probably won't go wrong whatever you choose.

ok thanks to you all its looking like a 222 but ...yes but what make plz and what scopes

I have a t3 varmint in 222 which i am really happy with,shot 3/4" groups at 150yrds at the weekend.

People will tell you the sako is a better rifle,it may be but it is also twice the price.

The remington 700 also looks good if you want to customise

+1 on the 222 I have a tikka 595 and have never regretted it. The 223 benefits from the military connection for cheap fmj ammo and it is popular across the pond for the same reason, but the 222 is inherently more accurate, its quieter and gives up little in distance.50 gr nosler ballistic tips rem 7 1/2 primer 50grs BLC2 3000fps, sweet to shoot,nice and quiet without a mod, .5" grps or better all day, whats to not like?.

p1010004-1.jpg

187yds easy stuff. legal for muntjac here , roe in scotland.

Now that is a hot load :o :o :o would have expected more velocity and brown underpants but I doubt you'd get the bullet on top :lol:;):lol:

Did you mean 25 grs BLC2 which is what I use with sierra 1320's for a similar speed.

Your right Eldon, seriously brown undies with 50grs!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will amend it to the correct 25grs ( dont know how that got in) :lol:

As for rifles the T3 is good, also the CZ 452 ( I think) Or the Rem VLSF. Choice is yours and price you want to pay.

I have fitted the Millett TRS1 4-16x50 with illuminated mil dot reticle and it works great, before that had the Edgar Brothers Optimate 3-12 x 52 with 30mm tube which was surprisingly good for the price ( made in Japan). There are plenty of reasonable priced scopes, like Bushnell, the Simmons Whitetail classic is ok etc, or a nice s/h Leupold or whatever.

Redfox

Luckyjohn if you give us an idea of budget we may be able to give better options.

Are you budgetting for a moderator as well?

Guest luckyjohn99
Luckyjohn if you give us an idea of budget we may be able to give better options.

Are you budgetting for a moderator as well?

budget isnt a problem yes a 222 ...scopes and moderator

Archived