.204 or .22-250

triple2

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do your home work mate.

With the right set up you could run the 55 grain Berger bullet through a .20. That would then make it even clearer.

I have done my home work and the 22-250 with 53gr bullets is better, mine pushes them at 3800fps.

What speed are you going to get out of a 20 cal with 55gr bullets, anything less than a 20BR is not going to keep up.

I have a 20cal as well and I like them both and wouldn't want to give either up. Both shoot really well out to far enough for me but the major difference I have noticed is that the 22-250 definitely hits harder and blows bigger holes in foxes than my 20cal firing 39gr SBK.

Done it along time ago lad.

The availability might prove difficult.

Like I said before, read the link I put up and enjoy the FACTS, you have failed to provide any!

If you wish to continue this debate then open up another trend as this is starting to hijack this one.

Just make sure you bring your facts and not just tosh...you will need them!

Atb

Steve

Like I said before, read the link I put up and enjoy the FACTS, you have failed to provide any!

If you wish to continue this debate then open up another trend as this is starting to hijack this one.

Just make sure you bring your facts and not just tosh...you will need them!

Atb

Steve

Truth hurts.

Sorry

I have done my home work and the 22-250 with 53gr bullets is better, mine pushes them at 3800fps.

Similar BC bullet as the 39 SBK with similar velocities. .

In terms of trajectory and wind drift they would be pretty much identical.

Steve.

that's the reason why if i had to choose i'd pick my 22br over my 204.a 22 is going to hit harder than a 20 that's a fact .i don't base this on numbers put out by a ballistic calculater but through use in the field against foxes.not saying the 204 cant do it as i've shot many with mine and do like using it

Truth hurts.

Sorry

It certainly does doent it. Especially when you cant back up anything you say with facts!

Don't sulk for to long!

that's the reason why if i had to choose i'd pick my 22br over my 204.a 22 is going to hit harder than a 20 that's a fact .i don't base this on numbers put out by a ballistic calculater but through use in the field against foxes.not saying the 204 cant do it as i've shot many with mine and do like using it

While there is truth in what you say mate, im yet to here a fox or a rabbit complain about being hit with a bullet 0.020 thou less in diameter then .224 diameter bullet! Lol

Steve

Well I don't know to much about the .204.....But my foxing partner uses a 22-250 custom build on a Montana action,he loads 55 grn amax I think!....its a real tack driver out to 350....why would you need any thing else? :unsure:

your right both do the job very well ,have lost two foxes with the 204 though,the first two i shot at both shoulder shots.aim slightly farther back and no more runners.i know this can happen with most cals but the 20's can blow up to well at times

It certainly does doent it. Especially when you cant back up anything you say with facts!

Don't sulk for to long!

No need to spit ur dummy lad.

I speak from my own experience of foxing and vaminting.

How many foxes have you shot with youre rifle in the isle of man?

the good old my calibre is better then your calibre debate :D some dick swinging in this thread :lol: . i like the 204 i have shot one a couple of times and the 20 tac. they are very good calibres. what i have noticed though. is a lot of people claim some very high speeds through there 204 then when they have put them over a chronograph there nowhere nr the speeds they guessed. of course depending on bullets and powder choice has alot to do with it.

i do like the 204 my mate has one and a 6br and he enjoys shooting the 204 more. i have 223 and 22/250 i like them both but i prefer the 22/250

but thats more to do with the rifle then the calibre.

the 223 is a great round. it uses next to nothing powder. has great choice of bullets and brass. etc. 40 with some vit 133 behind it gets some very good speeds. and even though the 40 vmax isnt as good as the 39 blizkings. for bc. and normal foxing ranges it dont come into it

Lol :) I have heard the same about the speed

your right gaz i know a lad who tried lots of different powders in his with 39 blizkings. and the most he could ring out of it was just under 3700 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. god knows why. it was dead accurate though.

I use 75 grn hpbt hornady tap in my .223.........holds 1&1/2 at 300 :P

Lol :) chap I no uses 75vmax in his 1/8 twist 223 at 3080fps whacking little gongs out at 700 yards ;)

Lol :) chap I no uses 75vmax in his 1/8 twist 223 at 3080fps whacking little gongs out at 700 yards ;)

im sure if someone who could really shoot would do better then me with it :P ...only had it out to 300

I can remember when the 204 were first appearing and another Forum where on the same debate. The problem was, the advocate of the 204 was quoting his own data for the 204 and using standard book data on the 22-250. Using his data, the 204 (was a 204 Ruger) won. However, I was running a 20 TAC, 22-250 and a 22-250 AI at the time and found the terminal effect was pretty similar. I actually preferred the 20 as it enabled me to use a slightly lighter gun to behave as well as the heavier 22-250.

I have since had the 204 rebarreled to allow me to use 55s and will run the data I get against the 22-250. I do know that the 20TAC can cope with a great deal more (calculated) load pressure than it suggests in Quickload.

One thing though; 55 grain bullets in the 20 make the rounds bloody long and to load anywhere near the lands and using a magazine to feed is not going to happen. Using 50s though it is looking rather good.

I'll work the load on the 20 using 55s and see how it stacks, but I would bet there will be little in it.

My choice may have been a .20, which is great for lamping etc (no deer o'clock), but at daylight hours I bring out the 6mmbr (yet another frugal and efficient round) for fox deer etc.

There is no perfect round, just one suitable for each circumstance that you expect to be presented.

I personally enjoy frugal and accurate rounds that if you feel the need to plink all day with, its not going to kill the barrel life or break the bank, but you gain plenty trigger time and enjoy your day out. 204/223/22-250 all do this at different levels. Only you know your ground and know your needs to shoot it.

One thing though; 55 grain bullets in the 20 make the rounds bloody long and to load anywhere near the lands and using a magazine to feed is not going to happen. Using 50s though it is looking rather good.

I have a Remy 700 .223 restocked with a Manners mini-chassis job that takes AI magazines. The latest 223 (synthetic) version takes nearly full 308 length rounds and feeds everything brilliantly from 2.25-inch and up so it'll take full-length 80 or even 90gn rounds at 2.55-2.75".

The rifle is going to Baldie (Valkyrie Rifles) some time in the future for rebarrelling in 20 Tac for 55s. The magazine set-up should allow repeater feed for them without any problems. So, any stock that accepts the latest long AI 223 mag should be fine. I would think that would also apply to the slightly longer cased .204 Ruger with 55s seated out.

Do your home work mate.

With the right set up you could run the 55 grain Berger bullet through a .20. That would then make it even clearer.

How many .20 cals do you know with a 1 in 9 twist barrel?

You could equally argue the fact for the .224 family of bullets put a tight twist on a .22-250 and use 75gn A max or heavier and see how far behind your .20 cal falls then!

I have owned a.20 TAC with a 1 in 9 twist barrel and never found any advantage of the heavier bullets.

A bit of swings and round abouts, the 40gn V max was accurate and fast the heavier bullets were down on velocity.

Nothing wrong with the rifle but sold it to Gunnery on here a and he is now doing great things with it.

Personally me I'll stick with my .22-250 AI pushing 52 grain bullets at 4100 fps and the option not that I've bothered to shoot high BC heavies if needed.

Just my 2 cents

Dave

Archived