What is so much better about a £200 Atlas Bipod ???

Jamie

Thanks for the extra replies. Interesting reading.

Never heard of the "Versa Pod" Tony. Off to google and youtube I go.....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers for the insight fella's, I gathered they would be top quality. Didn't know you could "track" your target though...

atb

Jamie

I found the 45 degrees left and right very useful and on occasions have tracked moving deer with it, if i had had the Harris i would of had to physically lift the rifle and reposition it. If your just target shooting this feature may not benefit you at all. Another feature i found useful was the ability to lower the bipod just off the ground with the lowest setting (legs protruding forward), with the Harris, they are either up or in the down position. Overall i believe they are more dynamic in their application than a Harris, like others have said try before you buy.

Ive currently use both Harris swivel 6-9 BRMs on a verity of rifles and also bought an AI spigot Atlas bipod on the AW. I couldn't decide which one I preferred so over the past 6 months I've tried the AW with both atlas and harris in order to get a fair comparison. Although the build and engineering on the Atlas is nicer than the harris, the harris is still durable and proven, the atlas looks nice if thats important. I found the atlas more fiddily to deploy in a hurry. The atlas shots great with a slight forward load but the problem it isn't always possible to load it the same way every time especially when shooting from different positions (i.e prone, bench, unsteady ground) so hence the harris is more forgiving. I have used the atlas 45 degree leg angle feature several times when shooting down hill or of a bench. But to be honest I find it easier and quicker to carry and use a bean bag for this type of shooting and just rest the closed bipod on it. Ive not needed to use the swivel feature yet and can appreciate it would be useful on movers. I think it depends on the weight of the rifle too, atlas is better on lighter rifles i think such as the AR15. Im now using the harris again. Hope that helps.

I have to agree with Dan534,

Over the last year I've been trailing the Atlas Bipod against several versions of the Harris, its been tested on AW .338, AW 6.5x47, AW .308, Tikka T3 - .308 and the findings so far image the those of Dan534.

The key findings are as follows:

1. The Atlas while well made and finished is - Over priced in comparison to the Harris.

2. Slow to deploy and fiddly when under pressure - having also tested this in competition - all other Harris users here able to get into position ahead of those with Atlas.

3. Under dirty and sandy conditions the Atlas clogs and becomes unworkable.

4. The pan and tilt is not as user friendly as the Harris with the Podlock fitted - the Harris is far faster than the Atlas.

5. Probably the key practical point being none of the snipers / marksman i've worked with have liked the Atlas.

Kind Regards

Rob

I like the Atlas a lot.

- ability to use legs at 45* angle is great for shooting off vehicle bonnets when lamping.

- major factor for me is when carrying rifle with a sling, the Atlas doesn't bite into your back/shoulder blade like a Harris does.

Got hung up on a heavy preload with Atlas initially, groups suffered, now just shoot and it works fine.

Atlas doesn't twang when you'd rather it didn't, it's quieter in operation too.

Never liked bi pod previously as I just couldn't get on with an old Harris on my sporting rifles so wrote off bi pods completely,

Though I had much success using a z aim in the field it wasn't for target shooting and purchased an atlas.

Have been very happy with it, and to be fair as a % of rifle and scope cost it's not that outrageous.

Mine has only been use on the range and at the round house challenges really and for this it's done what I have wanted it to well.

As much down to a taste thing than anything

I found the 45 degrees left and right very useful and on occasions have tracked moving deer with it, if i had had the Harris i would of had to physically lift the rifle and reposition it. If your just target shooting this feature may not benefit you at all. Another feature i found useful was the ability to lower the bipod just off the ground with the lowest setting (legs protruding forward), with the Harris, they are either up or in the down position. Overall i believe they are more dynamic in their application than a Harris, like others have said try before you buy.

45 degrees left and right? i thought it was 30 degrees over all.

so thats 15 degrees left and 15 degees right

The Atlas bipod offers many features that place it in a category of its own. Those features include legs that move independently and can be deployed in a 45 degree position either forwards or backwards, in the traditional 90 degree position, and facing directly to the front or back, locking securely into 5 positions through a 180 degree arc. It provides the shooter with 30 total degrees left to right Pan as well as 30 total degrees of Cant; making it easy to align your cross hairs on the target regardless of the terrain. Offering the strength and stability that shooters demand, the Atlas provides rock solid support while weighing less than 11 ounces.

taken from the atlas website........

tony

i looked and it said the sale had ended i took a link from bewsh, off of the bbs

anychance you have a link thats still on going?

atb

tony

Just for your info, I dont believe the copy has the ability to cant. It is licensed by B&T Industries but chinese made for airsofters........

Just for your info, I dont believe the copy has the ability to cant. It is licensed by B&T Industries but chinese made for airsofters........

yes thats right, i pm the lad that brought it but had no reply so so, as there was talk or putting a washer on either side, and that that, should solve the problem, but for £40 pounds for it, when the 3" leg extention cost that much on there own, if it can be tweaked for a few pounds...it makes you wonder

atb

tony

There's clearly pro's and con's for the various makes.....

The versa pods stud adaptor is very bulky considering it's only an adaptor...

At a guess, I'd say the price deemed appropriate to get sales of Atlas bipods is pretty much like it is, (or was) for sport motorcycle accessories.

An undercover journalist found a high level employee in a well known motorcycle accessories company "cough" to admitting that the items they sell do not go on a specific profit margin, but was based on the maximum price they believed the buyer was prepared to pay..... A rip-off??

Just to point out, I'm not saying they are cra*, as I've never used one, I just don't like being taken for a ride by "rip-off" companies.....

Jamie

ok so youve talked about the harris and the atlas bipods, what about the versa pod?

ive tryed the harris did not suit my way of shooting tryed the versa pod and once id figured it out, loved it, id like to use the atlas but, dont think i could part with nearly £300 when you include the leg extentions as i like the legs to be higher, and plus putting a rail on so i have the use of the quick release and still be able to use my sling stud which. the versa pod allowed.

tony

Tony

I tried the Versapod for a year or so. I had a spigot fitted to two stalking rifles and one prone Versapod. I gave up on it eventually as it was noisy if you had change position and mechanically sloppy. I also tried the B-Square Roto-Tilt Sporter, but it had a tendency to collapse if tried to move right or left.

At present I have a range of Harris bipods. I mostly use http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB25S.html as it allows me to sit if I want.

I've looked at bipods for about 10 years or so and I've not found one that does all I want yet.

Regards

JCS

I've recently bought a "airsoft" atlas from the bay and I must say for £37 delivered its dam good!! So good in fact I've another on its way!

Wouldn't pay the full whack for the non airsoft version though!

China does not have copy right laws like we do here so they can make knock off items all they want some of the stuff they make is very good quality its made pretty much the same way with the same materials but costs a hell of a lot less

In the end you pay and take the risk or or pay more and dont

Ive currently use both Harris swivel 6-9 BRMs on a verity of rifles and also bought an AI spigot Atlas bipod on the AW. I couldn't decide which one I preferred so over the past 6 months I've tried the AW with both atlas and harris in order to get a fair comparison. Although the build and engineering on the Atlas is nicer than the harris, the harris is still durable and proven, the atlas looks nice if thats important. I found the atlas more fiddily to deploy in a hurry. The atlas shots great with a slight forward load but the problem it isn't always possible to load it the same way every time especially when shooting from different positions (i.e prone, bench, unsteady ground) so hence the harris is more forgiving. I have used the atlas 45 degree leg angle feature several times when shooting down hill or of a bench. But to be honest I find it easier and quicker to carry and use a bean bag for this type of shooting and just rest the closed bipod on it. Ive not needed to use the swivel feature yet and can appreciate it would be useful on movers. I think it depends on the weight of the rifle too, atlas is better on lighter rifles i think such as the AR15. Im now using the harris again. Hope that helps.

Agree with Dan and LRC. I've gone back to my Harris BRM, on my TRGS. I admit the Atlas looks nicer and performs well, but the Harris is more forgiving and not as fiddly to deploy.

Interesting reading everyones 'take on' and approach to shooting and 'life'.

Re. Cost. The economics I personally find a strange way of looking at kit. Before I can even fire a shot say at a Bisley comp I've spent £100. If we all played safe re. shooting economics you'd not shoot a 6.5x47 or 260 ( heaven forbid a 270-7mm WSM) as a 308 would be more 'economical'.

Re. Knock offs. As pointed out these are invariably Chinese. So if you can live with theft, cheaper materials, atrocious QHSSE then buy them. Again personally I have a family, have to run a business and have worked in China so cannot morally buy this crap. ( not being sanctimonious here, just honest)

Re. Comparable performance. As with any bit of kit, if you cannot get on with or unable to use a particular piece of kit don't buy it - simple (or borrow someones to try?). The Harris worked before the Atlas turned up and there will be a new 'mouse trap' come along at any time soon. The Atlas is slower to deploy, but if you need fast deployment then modify it ( or do not shoot a comp where the rules are written to penalise bipods?)

In answer to the OP, Not much 'better, but I prefer the Atlas over the Harris, less sticky out bits and a few more features.

But at the end of the day its only a game! :)

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Both bipods require a consistent mount as does all types of shooting where accuracy is required.

The Atlas is more forgiving in that if you adopt the shooting position but the target moves slightly you can pan without inducing torque into the legs as you get with the Harris. I shoot with a heavy load on both bipods and always shoot behind and shoulders square to the butt so the recoil on all my guns is linear which aids consistency and spotting.

I switched to an QR Atlas approx 6 moths ago and have a rail on all my rifles which allows me to use the same atlas on them all.

They are extremely well engineered and have just the right amount of ''play' to allow loading (although gentle) on hard and gravelly ground. This aids consistency with respect to POI.

I won't go back now.

Si

They nearer 300 quid than 200, I too think they are a rip off, did this subject on stalking directory, apparently someone else makes them for 50 quid, basicly identical I think

Actually the basic model is £180 with the twin screw clamp. A swivel base Harris is close on a £100 so not such a massive difference. Both models can start costing more if you start changing feet and adding adapters and the like.

As for the £50 model you're talking about its a Chinese made copy made for airsofters. Which doesnt have the swivel ability either.

I have several Harris bipods which I dont ever use anymore, primarily because I much prefer the Atlas. Mostly because it feels superior in every way and it stays closed when you want it closed and open when you want it open, regardless of dragging your rifle this way or that! I've had the Harris have one leg fold too many times when moving position or when a strand of heather gets caught in the leg springs! My Atlas has the ADM mount on it and all my rifles have a rail fitted so its the work of about 3 seconds to fit it when they come out of the cabinet. The Atlas feels like a superior piece in my hands, mainly as its made from fully machined parts versus stamped, extruded and folded like the Harris.

In my opinion its certainly not a rip-off, its a quality product that works well and made by a company that will back up its products which counts for a lot in my book.

Nothing in shooting is particularly cheap, I dont reckon the Atlas is overpriced in the grand scheme of things!

I am not doubting its made well and it does look good, its still too much money for my liking, ive used Harris bipods for 15 years, no complaints, they were a lot cheaper then

That's OK-as you have seen,opinion is split - it is as much about whether either design fits your shooting style,or specific requirements.Harris is half the price,roughly.There are other options too-Milsak,eg;which is nothing like so responsive/sensitive to loading,and some prefer this.

Its priced between the other two,and there are others.There is no 'best' for everyone/all applications.

"Richness " did a good review on these way back on here about a couple of years ago-you could track it down -but it comes down to the above-your prefered shooting technique,and any specific 'must have' features.

If your shooting-ranges eg-allow the luxury of a Seb/similar coaxial rest you are in rifle support /control heaven,if you have to clamber over irregular rocks,and shoot therefrom,the Atlas (or Harris) works,if you have too carry all your gear,and are just doing some informal target shooting,a butterfly 'bean bag' type set up is wonderfully steady (12 oz if polystyrene filled,14 lb rice if you are the rugged type,and think you might need survival food,20lb + if you want the option of a private beach).Then there are the fclass bipods....like Evo,Mystic and so on....new ones monthly...

Seriously,it's all about needs/attitude/rules /situations/preferences/compromises.

I have followed this thread with much interest, I have been using an AI bipod on an AE Mk III with a 20" barrel. The feeling I have always had is that the bipod is far too forward and heavy for the configuration of the rifle with a short barrel.

Looking around and asking on the CSR forum about Harris and Harris clone bipods bought up a lot of comments regarding Harris bipods breaking, (nobody specified how) but a couple of people who's views I respect have suggested the Sniper Systems Harris clone from Global Rifle works well.

The product is shown on their website with a £75 tag on it, but on further research it seems they also sell it on Ebay with a starting bid price on 99p!

The suggestion from their Ebay sight suggests it is made in Leicestershire. But with a starting bid of 99p I would have thought that "Leicestershire" would be a province in China with a very English sounding name!

The description on their website talks about swivel when I suspect they mean cant, which they then call tilt, although the terminology is not great I think most shooters know what they mean.

I bid and won one last Sunday(£44 + £5 p+p), it took two days to arrive and feels very light, the fixing arrangement doesn't give me a huge amount of confidence, I'm looking forward to comparing it to the real thing.

Whilst watching the other Sniper Systems bipods sell they all seem to achieve between £40-£45 which would very heavily suggest a Chinese made product, unless of course the company were dumping them for economic reasons?

I'm with Brown Dog tomorrow at the swimming pool, (Butt 18 Century!) so will let him have a look at it, and anybody else who is passing.

In retrospect the Versa-Pod looks good; you can deploy it with one hand just like the AI bipod and it can sit on a rail under the rifle. I would suspect it would be lighter than the AI as well?

I will keep you informed if my £44 was a waste of money or not............. :o

Archived