New barrel on a budget

Shootist

Please, no Gucci barrels fitted by lifelong artisans with the intention of shrinking groups to subatomic sizes. Just the least expensive that will perform to a standard that will not be embarrassing. I'll leave the top grade stuff to those who have the money.

My advice is buy the best you can afford, Pacnor are good quality, mine shoots .3's if I can do my bit and they are not expensive. Talk to some of the Smithy's on here their work is exceptional quality and very competitive. The cost of a replacement barrel is not just the cost of the blank its the fitting too.

One of the hardest lessons I had to learn was to accept when my Smithy told me barrels and brass are consumables.... he was right!

I've gone down the cheapest route with having a Begarra fitted to a Tikka T3, for not much more I could have had a Border or any of the others available. The Begarra does shoot very well but it took me a long while to find what it liked - I bet I more than spent the difference in reloading consumables.With a better barrel load work up would probably been faster (it took me 25 rounds to find a load for my AX .260) and therefore I could get on and shoot instead of load testing. Don't forget the gunsmithing / proofing etc is a fixed cost whatever the barrel.

There are many rifle smiths here, both full and part time who turn their hand to most projects.

Accuracy isn't cheap, neither is shooting.

Barrels are expendable, live with it.

The end difference between a top spec US brand and a budget barrel will be 150 on the total price of a rebarrel…..

Suggest you have the crown checked , barrel borescoped, if money is so tight.

Many a "scrap" barrel has been turned around with a little love at the pointy end..

As others have said, once you add the cost of chambering, proofing etc. the actual barrel cost won't make a huge difference to the overall price, but FWIW I also rate Pacnors and they tend to work out a little less expensive. Might be worth giving Mik Mak a call as he has lots of barrels in stock at any one time. Brian Fox would also be worth a call.

Many thanks for the advice to date. I've managed to cart the barrel along to someone with a borescope who knows what to look for. He's pronounced it good, the crown also. So, it looks like the nut behind the trigger needs sorting. :(

It's normally the case :-)

I would start again with your loads, find a load that gives you the velocity you want and then play with the COAL to get the groups. Minimise changes ie components to one thing at a time.

Hth

Alan

How about check with as many gunsmiths as you can to see if any of them have a decent barrel they have taken off a stock rifle which they have rebarreled.... surely this would be a lot cheaper if you go with a rebarrel.

Archived