17 rem 20 tac

17 rem or 20 tac, these are the two rifles i am torn between i dont need or want both, its for vermin and foxing

if you had the choice to have one, which one would you have and why? not interested in any other variation of either calibre or any other calibre at all......

tony

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go with the 20tac Tony. It will do anything the 17 will, only better! I've had one for 6 years now and shot over 400 foxes and a bunch of winged stuff with it. It's easier to clean and doesn't foul like a 17 will.

Mike

Much as I have liked my 17 rem over the past 30 years,I think the 20 now has the edge,whether as 20Tac or 20 Prac-

just easier..or 204R ..easiest,but I'm not changing.Even if the increase is small,the heavier,larger cal bullet will have an edge on energy transfer on Fox,too.

Gbal

Tony had a nice Tikka T3 in .223, but now it's mine! :)

The 20 with not even a moments hesitation. Better ballistics, more umph, good barrel life, easier to clean, and a similar selection of bullets/projectiles/heads/whatchamacallit :) now with factory cases as well, it is a no brainer. Good luck!

Finman

Had a couple of 17s a fireball and a rem. They are a great little calibre. But for me done nothing a 40 grain bullet doesnt do in a 223

but which would you have, the 20tac or the 17 rem, from the choice of the two?

tony

but which would you have, the 20tac or the 17 rem, from the choice of the two?

tony

Well ive shot both 20 tac and 204. Both very accurate indeed. Great vermin and fox bashers. But so is the 17 rem. It uses less powder isnt as loud. And has less recoil. Not that the 20 cals recoil much anyway.

I would pick the 17 as every person should own one 17 cf at least once.

Well ive shot both 20 tac and 204. Both very accurate indeed. Great vermin and fox bashers. But so is the 17 rem. It uses less powder isnt as loud. And has less recoil. Not that the 20 cals recoil much anyway.

I would pick the 17 as every person should own one 17 cf at least once.

you see thats my problem ive brought a action to have a barrel put on, i thought yep 20tac, but this morning woke up dreaming about a 17 rem :huh: so before i fill my paper work in and give the go ahead i need too be 100%, but the brass for the 20tac turned up this morning :lol:, my .223 had no recoil to talk of so i know the 20 tac will be same or less,

you see thats my problem ive brought a action to have a barrel put on, i thought yep 20tac, but this morning woke up dreaming about a 17 rem :huh: so before i fill my paper work in and give the go ahead i need too be 100%, but the brass for the 20tac turned up this morning :lol:, my .223 had no recoil to talk of so i know the 20 tac will be same or less,

there you go if your dreaming about a 17 rem you got your answer

i had a 20 tact an awsome rifle i shot a fair few of the cheeky fellas with it but them sold it :o and got a .22br

bought a .17rem tikka over 14yrs ago-still got that ;);) and own a .17fb cooper ;);) .

i find the .17 s a treat to shoot great walk round rifle and to use with nv.i have a few areas that are bordered with housing so the .17 is perfect for those spots.

any .20 will give you more oomph but i dont need to shoot charles beyond 150yds when on foot so the extra grunt is not needed.one day though i will get another .20 or rebarrell the .22br to .20br

i had a 20 tact an awsome rifle i shot a fair few of the cheeky fellas with it but them sold it :o and got a .22br

bought a .17rem tikka over 14yrs ago-still got that ;);) and own a .17fb cooper ;);) .

i find the .17 s a treat to shoot great walk round rifle and to use with nv.i have a few areas that are bordered with housing so the .17 is perfect for those spots.

any .20 will give you more oomph but i dont need to shoot charles beyond 150yds when on foot so the extra grunt is not needed.one day though i will get another .20 or rebarrell the .22br to .20br

whats the brass and bullets like to get hold of?

of the two i'd go 20 tac,i had a 17 fb and it ended badly great cartridge two poor rifles.better choice of bullets for the 20 over the 17.but have to say i would like to try a 17 rem

the fireball did not even come to mind i defo not interested in fireball, but the 17 rem does stirr me a little, but still swaying towards the tac 20

atb

tony

Tony,

Have only had a 20TAC about 10 years ago when they came to the surface via Todd Kindler. Beautiful and fun

Brass bullets etc. easy to get hold of (much better now), accurate with FF loads, later heavier bullets (only 33g available originally) gives more legs.

The 20 is fiddly enough, never owned a 17 but smaller = more fiddly.

Couple of folks have mentioned recoil??????? in a .223/,20/17 - really? I'm and old fart and would not put 'recoil' in the same sentence as any or those cartridges, 7 pound 45-70 on full loads standing = recoil (loose fillings etc.), 20TAC flat out = see the bullet holes - honestly :)

Do what you want really, it's your money and end use.

Terry

go for a .20 tac no problem with bullets or brass buy Dakota brass which is Lapua or you can buy .223 Lapua brass and simply run through .20tac dies I have a .20 tac awesome cal I use 40grn V-max with 23grns of vit 133 very accurate and hard hitting they are a great for vermin zero at 100yrds add 1moa on scope aim on target good for 200yrds plus had a .223 before .20tac nothing wrong at all with .223 but prefer the 20 all day

Tony,

Have only had a 20TAC about 10 years ago when they came to the surface via Todd Kindler. Beautiful and fun

Brass bullets etc. easy to get hold of (much better now), accurate with FF loads, later heavier bullets (only 33g available originally) gives more legs.

The 20 is fiddly enough, never owned a 17 but smaller = more fiddly.

Couple of folks have mentioned recoil??????? in a .223/,20/17 - really? I'm and old fart and would not put 'recoil' in the same sentence as any or those cartridges, 7 pound 45-70 on full loads standing = recoil (loose fillings etc.), 20TAC flat out = see the bullet holes - honestly :)

Do what you want really, it's your money and end use.

Terry

i did have a .204 for a short while, but bad experence as the rifle was a bag of sh*te, so like you say recoil does not come into it. i spoke to neil mckillop and said i wanted a 1:11 twist pac nor, prob go with 22" barrel, but i just needed to make sure i dont want the 17rem............20 tac seems to be my choice at the min got till thursday when he gets the action...........

Archived