QuickLoad and Primers

I've invested in QuickLoad and I've quickly got into the nuts and bolts of the database. However, one thing is eluding me. Despite the instructions referring to inputting the type of primer used and showing a screenshot of the function, I cannot find it anywhere. Any clues anyone?

As far as I knew QL did not have any means of directly inputting primer data. I am on version 3.6 and have a few earlier versions and was not aware of this function, any chance of you posting the screenshot up?

Yay, I've solved it. If only I had read the last line on page 20 of the instructions. I have V 3.8 and the short-cut Ctrl-O brings up a primer menu........................ :lol:

Unfortunately inputting the type of primer doesn't make any difference to the output. It would appear that it is for user info only so that you can compare primer performances in the real world. Shame as that would have been a useful bolt-on.

Just possibly,there is not (yet) sufficient reliable,valid and consistent evidence on (possible) primer performance differences between brands,or even between grades(standard/magnum)-some anecdotal and limited testing,maybe,but there may well be interactional effects-brand X magnum is better in cold temperatures with powder Y,but not in warm temperatures,and has no effect with powder Z in cold tepmeratures,but is slightly worse in warm temperatures.....and all this may change with loading density etc,(and all for just one cartridge-may well be different for a different cartridge...)......

Maybe it's a blessing that we don't have yet another variable that needs detailed attention-I suspect most rifles can approach their absolute precision and accuracy already-and would .05 moa really make a difference?

(its unlikely that each primer in a box is a perfect clone,,and unlikely we could check them!!)

Try German Salazar's excellent report "A match primers study in 30-06 cartridge' in the Rifleman's Journal for a flavour of the work needed,and limited conclusions therefrom.

Gbal

Archived