Another nice video from THLR.NO

Thomas,

Sorry to see your hand damage. Tendons and/or nerve? How utterly frustratingly sh1t for you.

I hope you're expected to regain full function, but if not, my knee jerk reaction is: Change shoulder.

It's not the insumountable challenge that many would have you believe.

Every left hander in the British Army gets made to do it. I did it.

(Although that's probably an unpalatable message, it's meant helpfully :) )

Thomas,

. Tendons and/or nerve? How utterly frustratingly sh1t for you.

Actually it was everything severed with "almost severed" cuts on the two intact fingers.

Change shoulder was my first reaction as well, just haven't had enough time for the range for such a transition yet.

I've been trying to do an assessment of my present shooting and identify what problems I have.

I can pull of one, two and possibly three shots but then I'm unable to override the relexes any more (my back is soaked in sweat on shot three actually) and then it goes all over the place.

Group analysis from a no-recoil rifle indicates that I'm pulling the grip or meeting the rifle with the shoulder alternatively, which makes sense if I try to avoid discomfort to the hand and same time forcing myself to shoot. (there is a film on it, but I also make so much trinkets now to help me I fear it might violate advertisement rules)

So the problem is identified, but exactly how to negate it I'm not sure.

I'll try more time between shots next and see if that helps.

It could be that something as simple as using thicker gloves will help...

Thomas, good to see you back shooting again. Just a suggestion, would shooting something like an air rifle or maybe .22lr help. Maybe something with no recoil might help you get the basics again?

I'm sorry to hear of your injury and I hope you recover.

As BD said changing shoulder is no option in the British army for us left handers I practiced before joining and shoot rifle and shotgun right handed and have for the last twenty odd years.

I wish you success with your solution whichever shoulder you shoot from, and look forward to more of your videos in the future.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the care guys. Considering where I started after the injury, I think it has been remarkable recovery. Some irks, but have been able to "decode" the new signals and enjoy shooting again. Considering the traffic I saw through the emergency room and post-op, I am lucky to get off so easily.

• 1 month later...

Hi Thomas

Been on here for a while now but I am very new to longer range shooting , only done it a couple times & to a max of 560yds!

Just discovered your videos, they are very informative & well done , but reminds me of time I spent working in Norway,

( oil field trash:-) )

Also spent bit of time up in Narvik diving the ww2 shipwrecks, I love Norways scenery , reminds me so much of our own Scottish west coast in places.

Stunning scenery , very well done videos ! , Did you every make the film alluded to in an earlier thread?

I hope the hand is recovering & your still able to enjoy & teach your shooting

All the best

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that guys, but I'm not sick. i just have a minor handicap.

I get plenty of shooting done, unfortunately nowhere near the same amount of hunting but will research british red deer somewhere with a lot of hill/rock or similar rough terrain.

• 4 weeks later...

There may be some similarities

Be a hell of a nice place to visit

Archived