Notes from a McQueens first timer.

This is the first year I have been able to enter with a suitable rifle (AE Mk.III) and whilst I enjoyed it immensely there were a number of things I was aware of that were not quite right.

Also, we wont be discussing my scores here! :wacko::D

Saturday 13th July is being claimed as the hottest day of the year so far, and this was the day I entered the McQueens.

The cheek piece on the AE has never let me down, although on Saturday my face was so wet with sweat a "cheek weld" was never going to happen.

So, are the grippy ones sold by Victor Company worth the money?

You would have thought our friends across the pond would know about hot weather. Has anybody on here purchased one, and what are your thoughts on it please?

It was on my second attempt that I realised the bipod needed to come up higher so there is more room for the rear bag, but what about the rear bag?

I have three of them, two are the sausage type (issue?) from Sporting Services which I found difficult to slide my hand across while holding the rear monopod, which I use to control my PoA.

The other bag has a Nylon feel to it which seems the best compromise but is either a little to small or requires a bit more filling.

Your thoughts on fillings would be helpful.

Saturday saw the worst (or best) mirage I think there is to see at Bisley.

I was using my Vortex 4-16X50 PST, I felt it was underpowered for the job, although a mucker who has won the McQueens says he finds 12x more than adequate!

There is no denying that I would like S&B 5-25X50, albeit I think 16X should do the trick although the reticule in the Vortex, is in my opinion too thick for the McQueens.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be most valuable, the second best part of the day was playing with Davy's dog behind the Shooting Shed Tent whilst chatting to Bradders!

Saturday 13th July is being claimed as the hottest day of the year so far, and this was the day I entered the McQueens.

The cheek piece on the AE has never let me down, although on Saturday my face was so wet with sweat a "cheek weld" was never going to happen.

So, are the grippy ones sold by Victor Company worth the money?

You would have thought our friends across the pond would know about hot weather. Has anybody on here purchased one, and what are your thoughts on it please?

Mick,

I have one. I could not over-recommend it. A superb piece of kit. Completely cures 'slippy face'. Give it no more thought: Get one. :)

Bags - I'll let you have a play with the TAB bags next time we RV. Tony has found beads that lock when you squeeze; most brands continue to flow a bit.

Mick,

I have one. I could not over-recommend it. A superb piece of kit. Completely cures 'slippy face'. Give it no more thought: Get one. :)

Bags - I'll let you have a play with the TAB bags next time we RV. Tony has found beads that lock when you squeeze; most brands continue to flow a bit.

Just ordered one! :)

Just need to play with the bags now, I do have some lead shot...............I wonder?

Well done. I am sure your score cannot be any worse than mine. I tried out the LMT which to be fair shot well, 5 v bulls 2 fives and a four. Two misses whilst jam clearing, which were both my fault. What I learned:

6 power is not quite enough

Same with the sweaty cheek weld

Protect elbows

A rear bag would be a good idea

Hat

I intend to revisit this week with TRG and sporting rifle.

Was shooting next to girl who hit pretty much everything and scored 50. Something.

Bugger

Mick,

Enough scope power so you can see all the castle.

Re. Rear bags. The TAB 'bean bag' design's nice. I've tried tevround ones but squeezing the bean bag works best. The latter filling on the TAB's good. Trye just using the bean bag rather han bag+ mono pod, just a thoughtt!

Terry

Hi, this is something I want to shoot. How often is this shot? I've got a rifle but can't afford a scope yet so looking at next years season. This year seems to be flying by anyway :-)

Phil,

The McQueens runs all the way through the Imperial meeting, but can realistically be shot any time of the year, range space permitting.

I know the LPSC are shooting it on the sunday afternoon of 4th August, at the same time we are running the S East PR Champs.

Not sure what distance they shoot it at these days, I think it may be 300 as 200 was getting too easy for the boys with wunder-calibres.

I could be wrong though as it's years since I shot it.

We shoot a couple of similar practises in CiV SR, albeit without the castle, with a 200yd Bisley Bullet and 300 yd Wantage.

Both practises involve 10x 3 sec exposures over a 6ft frontage.

At 200 we shoot a Fig 14 window target and at 300 a Fig 12.

• 6 years later...
On 7/14/2013 at 10:12 PM, bradders said:

Phil,

The McQueens runs all the way through the Imperial meeting, but can realistically be shot any time of the year, range space permitting.

I know the LPSC are shooting it on the sunday afternoon of 4th August, at the same time we are running the S East PR Champs.

Not sure what distance they shoot it at these days, I think it may be 300 as 200 was getting too easy for the boys with wunder-calibres.

I could be wrong though as it's years since I shot it.

We shoot a couple of similar practises in CiV SR, albeit without the castle, with a 200yd Bisley Bullet and 300 yd Wantage.

Both practises involve 10x 3 sec exposures over a 6ft frontage.

At 200 we shoot a Fig 14 window target and at 300 a Fig 12.

Bisley shoot McQueen's year round, you just book the castle when you book a target. I marked McQueen's for the Imperial this year. 

Sorry old thread I know!