222Rem

Toby

Hi!have been loading 222Rem for about a year now.Have had success with Nosler BT 40grs but am looking at trying sierra match bullets 52/3grs.I understand that one of these is a FB and the other a Boat tail.Obviously all rifles are individual but which bullets do you're rifles shoot best?Nice to see a site with some info on the triple deuce,it seems to be a round that gets the job done with good accuracy and no fuss.I use mine for fox,crow,magpie,raven,etc.Unfortunately we don't have bunnies in Norway!Any accurate loads or any posts on the 222 always of interest.Regards Toby

Hi toby,

I also use a .222rem and it loves 40-50gr bullets, go heavier than that and she tends to open the group up a little.

Project1.png

Comptarget2.png

Jay,

Hi Toby,

In my .222 i have been using 50grain Nosler Ballistic tip with 19.5grain of Reloader 7 and Fed 205 primers with Federal Brass, neck sized and neck turned, flash hole de-burred. I have just made up some Hornady A-max 52grain with 20.5grain of R7, but have not tested them yet, but will post results when i can get out

-4.jpg

I shoot a variety of FB bullets in my Deuces. I have not found that the BT adds much to the trajectory and the BT's aren't always the most accurate. I prefer bullet between 40 and 53 grains. The nice thing about the 222 is it's versatility and accuracy with about any bullet you'd put through it. I spend two varminting seasons shooting heat treated 54 grain cast lead bullets at 2700 ft/sec and got MOA for accuracy. Can't beat that from a bullet that cost less then a cent. -and the rabbits and prairiedogs didn't notice the difference!

Sorry I can't help you out specifically with a load. Many are good. Here in the US the "Classic" load for the 222 with 50-ish grain bullets is 19 or 20 grains of Hodgdons 4198. It was the winning bench rest load for years. Good luck and have fun. ~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
I have just made up some Hornady A-max 52grain with 20.5grain of R7, but have not tested them yet, but will post results when i can get out

Kip have you tried these loads yet? The reason I ask Ive just of loaded my 308 against a Tikka 590 and Im just waiting for the variation to come through. And my local shop has plenty A-max in at the mo!

Guest Scott Elliott

In my Cooper Varminter I shoot 19.5 gr H4198, Fed 205m Primer and Sierra 50 gr Spitzer Bullets.

5 shots 100 yards;

IMG_1058.jpg

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

The trebles here, and getting moddied this week! New scope arrived today! And at last Ive settled on a load to try to begin with!!

52grn h/p b/t (hornady)

fed 205 match primers

vectan tu2000 starting at 18grns working upwards in .5 jumps max about 20grns

brass Prvi partizan (once fired in the rifle) to start with

Going by the data Ive been working with this should push the bullet at about 3100fps.

What do you think??

Archived