Tactical .308 rifles.

I may be missing something here, but whats the advantage if not going for a TRG dedicated bipod of using a Parker Hale / Versa Pod type on a spigot, when a Harris BRMS can be mounted on the rail in the forearm and still be lower than a PH / VP on a TRG spigot.

If height is not the issue a PH / VP can be mounted on the forearm rail also - for me this is too high.

David.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I may be missing something here, but whats the advantage if not going for a TRG dedicated bipod of using a Parker Hale / Versa Pod type on a spigot, when a Harris BRMS can be mounted on the rail in the forearm and still be lower than a PH / VP on a TRG spigot.

If height is not the issue a PH / VP can be mounted on the forearm rail also - for me this is too high.

David.

The only advantage I can think of is the speed of which you can add/take off the Parker Hale, and that was my reason for using a spigot system. There's no doubt about it the Sako bipod is the best system.

Does anyone know what the part is called that slides into the accessory rail allowing you to connect a Harris?

Regarding the TRG style of over barrel mounts.

I have seen on larger TAC rifles (read 408's and 50's) a tubular design that is fitted to the forend about 4 inches long, the tube has a mount that allows fitment of a bipod similar to the TRG.

I have only seen pics of this and cannot remember where it was - (maybe a Chey TAc custom on the hide???)

Anyway, the tube fits over the barrel and is fixed to the forend, it looks ugly (but so what), it does seem to be a way of getting the TRG system to work on other rifles and enable you to "hang" the bipod from above rather than below, thereby giving better stability on rough terrain.

I'll see if I can find the pics.

I am collecting my TRG from James of Durocoat tomorrow so I will give you dimensions then.

For me please get me a green set from Norway

thank you

londonhunter

Ah, I thought I new you, ive been to seen Andrew today, just having a cup of tea and then im onmy way to you! :P

Terje will be joining us on here as soon as his registration is approved.

He pointed out that as Norway is still outside of the EU then ordering individually may well be more cost effective :(

There is an interesting article about Terje shooting seals on 6mmbr - a little different from UK Varmints!

Cheers

TC

David

interesting use of Manfrotto tripod!!!

Nothing like a good spread :(

The only advantage I can think of is the speed of which you can add/take off the Parker Hale, and that was my reason for using a spigot system. There's no doubt about it the Sako bipod is the best system.

Does anyone know what the part is called that slides into the accessory rail allowing you to connect a Harris?

Its a bipod rail adaptor :( elwood. Harris make them, there are two models, the 6, and the 6A, one is for european width rails, and the other for american rails. I think its the 6a you need for a trg, and a mcmillan oddly enough. Any harris dealer should have them.

Does anybody know how that AI is attached to the Manfrotto?

I too am a keen photographer but I wonder how under recoil will the tripod stand up................................

I have at least 08 of the quick release adaptors lying around now if I can get a second hand gitzo 0530 530 grams and a adapter system thats an idea.

londonhunter

Guess I would know - I took the camersa screw out of the adapter and replaced it with a longer allen bolt with a rubber washer, thick metal washer and nut on the other end of the thread. The AI rail is hollow so the thing clamps to the rail (sorry not a good explanation).

The AI is 338 Lap I will see in about a month if it holds up to it - when the new optic arrives.

Thoughts the tripod is heavy, I am thinking about a 190 series Manfrotto. Also the head is a bit tall at 14cm a ball type head at about 10cm is going to be a better bet - looks like the expensive ball heads are rated to 16kg.

One idea with it was that if you have a spotting scope with an adapter it`s a two second change to use either spotting scope or rifle.

David.

Thanks DS1

I have 02 trips booked later this year to Africa and have been thinking about shooting from a standing position for plains game

I was looking at a Gitzi 0530 carbon fibre pod and they weigh in at 530 grams. I was going to ask a freind who owns a carbon fibre company in Silverstone to make me something that supports my rifle and my right elbow (RH) like a circular helipad.................................the estimate total weight including a small ball head to be about 1200 grams which can double up as a walking stick.

Can you imagine what I mean by that?

londonhunter

Hi londonhunter,

I think I understand what you are getting at, there are also some commercial units available - I saw on snipershide a while ago, but these tend to use a fore and aft v block arrangement.

I think weight will influence stability, just not sure how much and certainly the head design. The tripod in the pic is a manfrotto 055 NAT3 which is not light. The quick release heads have stood up to the AI rifle being left on it unsupported and also I picked the rifle up with the tripod attached. But it may fail when fired.

I will give you an update after testing though.

David.

Guest terje338

Hi,

Just dropping in to say hallo from Norway after TC told me that it was some intrest about my TRG cheek and recoil spacer on this forum.

I also see there are many TRG owner on this forum, and intresting to see there are other that have come up with custom parts like the TRG bipod adapter.

Terje

Hi,

Just dropping in to say hallo from Norway after TC told me that it was some intrest about my TRG cheek and recoil spacer on this forum.

I also see there are many TRG owner on this forum, and intresting to see there are other that have come up with custom parts like the TRG bipod adapter.

Terje

Hi Terje,

I'll be back to you re: spacer sizing as soon as our wonderful police give me my certificate back and I can take delivery of a TRG!

Now you are on here I'm sure the other guys will contact you directly with their needs.

Cheers

Tony

Archived