Advice needed - Whats the maximum bullet weight in .22 Hornet a 1-16 twist will accurately shoot?

Jamie

Are they definitely norma I can't find any info on them? There is/was a 45gr hornet nosler bullet 35487 which came in black boxes. They would be ideal.

The problem is if you jam bullets into the lands you can raise the pressure a fair bit. It also means it's possible to pull the bullet out of the case when you try and extract a loaded round, dumping the powder into the action in the process - very annoying.

Some people use pistol primers with the hornet because of the milder flame (brisance). Some people swear it gives them better accuracy/consistency. To be honest a mild primer like CCI 400 or Rem 6.5 should work great. I wouldn't use magnum primers.

As for reloading the .22 Hornet. Don't get me wrong, in comparison to most "reloaders", i fully accept i'm still in "nappies" when it comes to making up rounds....

But I'm puzzled how the bullets could end up jammed in the lands if i use the right equipment and make the rounds properly, and within the specifications of my latest edition of the Lee "Modern Reloading" manual. I've loaded and shot 600-800 hundreds + of .204 Ruger in the last 10 (ish) months or so, without anything other than a few accuracy issues, and what turned out to be an unfounded over pressure concern . Getting from my the best factory load round group of .50" (approx) at 100 yards, to a consistant .25" (approx) group.

I'm constantly reading up and gaining knowledge of reloading the .22 Hornet, and welcome and appreciate all advice given to me. Although reading is clearly not the same as doing. So i prefer to see myself as starting at the beginning again as regards the .22 Hornet. For starters i was surprised how fragile the brass is!!

As for primers, at this stage i'm not comfortable using "pistol" variants. I'll stick to my CCI 400's and CCI BR-4's!

I can't be sure they are Norma Henry. It's just what box they came in? I'll add a couple of pictures to this post shortly....

post-11686-0-23741200-1371059749_thumb.jpg

post-11686-0-55912600-1371059770_thumb.jpg

As for reloading the .22 Hornet. Don't get me wrong, in comparison to most "reloaders", i fully accept i'm still in "nappies" when it comes to making up rounds....

But I'm puzzled how the bullets could end up jammed in the lands if i use the right equipment and make the rounds properly, and within the specifications of my latest edition of the Lee "Modern Reloading" manual. I've loaded and shot 600-800 hundreds + of .204 Ruger in the last 10 (ish) months or so, without anything other than a few accuracy issues, and what turned out to be an unfounded over pressure concern . Getting from my the best factory load round group of .50" (approx) at 100 yards, to a consistant .25" (approx) group.

I'm constantly reading up and gaining knowledge of reloading the .22 Hornet, and welcome and appreciate all advice given to me. Although reading is clearly not the same as doing. So i prefer to see myself as starting at the beginning again as regards the .22 Hornet. For starters i was surprised how fragile the brass is!!

As for primers, at this stage i'm not comfortable using "pistol" variants. I'll stick to my CCI 400's and CCI BR-4's!

I can't be sure they are Norma Henry. It's just what box they came in? I'll add a couple of pictures to this post shortly....

Looks like a Nosler box,and probably the rather dumpy soft point lead hornet bullets-make is uncertain.Hornady did them at one time.

Problem with length comes from using 224 bullets that are meant for 224s (222,223,22/250,22ppc etc).The Hornet needs it's own short bullets-they are made and labelled either 223 Hornet or 224 Hornet-the early Hornets were actually 223 bore,recent Hornets are usually 224,but you need the specific Hornet bullets,NOT the generic 224 bullets for the other 224s.

Could it be this?

Length is .560" BC 0.144

Should shoot fine in the 16" twist

Nosler-45gr-Solid-Base-web.jpg

4208473_50ed48174033c.jpg

Bang on Henry! That's the ones :)

I pulled one apart and the base was solid as it states....

Also, Mark, (the bloke who gave them to me) just emailed me back also confirming.

So, if i buy a new Hornet they're ok. If i buy an old one, it may be a .223 and unsuitable?? But regardless of age i think it's probably best i confirm whether it's a .223 or .224 anyhow. Yes :unsure: Is this likely to be stamped anywhere on the gun??

Your comment makes sense now to, "you need the specific Hornet bullets,NOT the generic 224 bullets for the other 224s"

Recently, in a local rfd i saw specifically marked .22 Hornet heads in a row of other identical looking heads, only marked as .22 heads. This left me puzzled. I was going to ask, but the shop was heaving at the time so i didn't bother.

Cheers

I *think* you can shoot the .224" diameter bullets in the .223" bore without any problems so with either bore diameter rifle they would be alright. Hopefully someone on here will confirm or ask CZ.

I wouldn't shoot .223" bullets if you have a .224" bore as the seal won't be ideal.

If the the bore diameter isn't stamped on the barrel and you want to know you could ask CZ or have it slugged.

The specific hornet bullets are short so they ensure stability in slow twists and also have a lighter construction so they expand better at lower velocities. Try them in a fast twist .223 Rem and they will probably go poof...

As mentioned previously for the best ballistics a more modern design like the 40gr V-Max works great. You just have to be aware about the issues that the pointy design can cause with regards to fitting in the mag (some people have modified theirs).

You might want to butcher a case and make yourself an overall length gauge for your bullets to check where you are in relation to the lands. Normally if you use book data you end up with quite a safe amount of jump anyway and the confidence that it will fit in the mag.

I *think* you can shoot the .224" diameter bullets in the .223" bore without any problems so with either bore diameter rifle they would be alright. Hopefully someone on here will confirm or ask CZ.

I wouldn't shoot .223" bullets if you have a .224" bore as the seal won't be ideal.

If the the bore diameter isn't stamped on the barrel and you want to know you could ask CZ or have it slugged.

The specific hornet bullets are short so they ensure stability in slow twists and also have a lighter construction so they expand better at lower velocities. Try them in a fast twist .223 Rem and they will probably go poof...

As mentioned previously for the best ballistics a more modern design like the 40gr V-Max works great. You just have to be aware about the issues that the pointy design can cause with regards to fitting in the mag (some people have modified theirs).

You might want to butcher a case and make yourself an overall length gauge for your bullets to check where you are in relation to the lands. Normally if you use book data you end up with quite a safe amount of jump anyway and the confidence that it will fit in the mag.

Cheers Henry! :)

Not all 45 grn .22 bullets will be clear of the lands, the issue is pressure rises when you get into the rifling and also fitting into the mag (this is why 40 v-max need a longer mag yet Hornet spec 45s don't) Those Noslers are discontinued BTW, I have never seen these Norma bullets but be certain to check they sit clear of the lands at the correct COL.

Pistol primers give a lot weaker ignition, which can help accuracy and shot to shot consistency. They can however prove dangerous regards pierced primers if the pressure is too high for them ie not a hot load just too high for pistol primers. Rem 6 1/2 are said to be the weakest small rifle primers. Stronger acting primers can and will upset the bullet via their own ignition, there are other ways people counteract this via crimping etc

Archived