Newbie with possible .410 headspace issue.

Hi

This is my first post. I have been given an old .410 to look after as the owner, a very close friend died. I have fired it 4 or 5 times and I have noticed the some of the spent cartridges have a power residue round the primer when they are fired. I've never sean this before although I have a number of old shotguns going back to 1928. I have stopped firing it until I know whats happening. All help gratefully received.

Gary

• 5 weeks later...

Could the cartridges be defective in some way? Have you tried a new box?

Are you definitely shooting cartridges suitable for the guns chamber length (not blowing bits of the end of the case off?)

Could the firing pin be piercing the primers (is the powder residue right in the middle around a black hole?)

or is the powder residue in a ring around the outside of the primer (a picture would help if possible)?

I didn't know shotguns could have headspace issues, with the rimmed cartridge head and straight walls.

On second thoughts I suppose the rim of the cartridge could be the wrong thickness. If you have a set of callipers you could use the depth gauge to measure the rim depth on the gun. Measure the rim thickness on the cartridges too and compare.

That's all I can think of

Henry

My guess is its loose on the face if its a break action, of course shotguns can have head spacing issues as can rimmed rifle cases. Listen if your in doubt get it looked at, if you cannot tell yourself it wont get cured on the net. If these cases have been re-loaded then loose primer pockets should be suspected a common thing with some .410 cases, could well be dicky ammo- again get it looked at

Archived