My Gold and Silver Buck from last season.

Guest 308Panther

Nice lookin Mounts...

Could you explain the terms Gold and Silver??

Not quite sure how you guys do things on that side of the pond.

308Panther

Nice lookin Mounts...

Could you explain the terms Gold and Silver??

Not quite sure how you guys do things on that side of the pond.

308Panther

Hi Panther

I have copied this from a post by “Paul K” of the “Stalking Directory Site” (http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk) he explained it so well to another American that I could of done no better if I had done it myself. Paul if you are on here I hope you don’t mind.

In Europe we have adopted the CIC (Conseil International de la Chasse)system of scoring trophies which is similar in concept to the SCI, Boone & Crockett and Pope & Young schemes in the US and the Douglas scheme in Aus/NZ.

A deer head is assessed for a number of factors from length, weight. volume, span, tine length, and overall tine numbers as well as colour, symmetry and beauty. The precise combination of factors depends on the species involved. Some measurements are multiplied by a factor to give a weighting to certain aspects of the trophy.

Using a formula these are bought to a total score and depending on the score one of three medals bronze, silver or gold can be awarded.

Most of the measurements are completely numerical and not open to debate but some of the points are awarded (or penalties deducted) for subjective things so you can never be quite sure what your head will score. One of the main criticisms of the system is in this area, for example you could shoot a roe deer that had just cleaned its antlers from velvet and it might lose a couple of points for colour as the colour would not have developed much at that time. That same buck shot a few months later, with of course the same measurements, would get a few more points for colour and that could make the difference between silver and gold.

You can see the various measuring methods on the CIC website www.cic-wildlife.org

B-b

Archived