!.22 subs in the 452 ......... vote please!

hey!

i am getting very 'satisfactory' groupings with eley subs @ 80 mtrs.

in my cz 452 long barrel with a parker hale mod.

i was just wanting some input from you guys , using the 452 lr. (ammo and similar range), using other brand subs?

Might be a good idea to define 'satisfactory' and 'good' - one man's good may be another man's staisfactory. :)

Eley subs are phenomenally accurate in my 452 - coaching eldest daughter (who virtually never shoots) on the weekend, she put 5 rounds into a hole about the size of a single 9mm bullethole at 25m from a bipod.

But can't find anyone selling them in this part of Wiltshire.

I agree with BD, its very much dependant on what you consider satisfactory. Due to the issue of getting to my RFD I tend to have to buy what he has when I get there so I have used quite a few makes. Eley is spot on, consistent <10 to 15mm at 75m off the prone supported. Remington subsonic is also nice, even the same POI. CCI supsonic is a mixed bag, although reasonably accurate I find that the first shot is more often than not HV irrespective of ambient temp and pressure. The most consistent that I have ever used was the .22LR subsonic issued in the forces, Eley made, the lube was like earwax but they shot bug holes all day.

SK subs hold it together better than anything else in mine, even well past the 80yards mentioned. Pretty much anything in subsonic shoots at 50 yards one exception being Remington ( even so good for 1/2" - 3/4"). Poppers and crackers are vary much rarer with the SK (indeed I don't think I have ever had a fast one, just about 1-50 being a tad light on the fill). mixing different ammo with their associated different lubes don't do accuracy any good in my gun, CCI segmenting especially need to start on a fully clean barrel then lead themselves in to settle. That said at just 50 yards I could feed it anything and keep the groups expectable for hunting purposes to practical every day sort of ranges

my brno likes winchester

remington ok under 40 yds much further groups to big for rabbits to many cracks for my liking

still testing eley and another whose name escapes me up until recently there was only the first two to choose from.

recently bedded the gun (foolishly free floated it and ruined its previous accuracy) set up a target in the workshop remington gave a clover leaf @10 yds (furthest I could get) the winchester left a hole in the board a snug fit for an empty case 5 shots in each.

hmmmm..........

looks like eley is in the lead for a 452 then!

(so far)

:)

In expanding I recon buy a box or two of SK, winnies and Eley. Wait for a good day and test them all at around 100 yds the gun will soon tell you. clean well before each change and forget about the first 20 or so

• 3 weeks later...

I accidentally put a box of winnies through the tumble drier the other day after my realtree got soaked in the rain so I used the opportunity to strip, clean, scrub and generally give my 452 some tlc.

I then used the dented bullets to re-lead the barrel. Onto some fresh ones and this was the result off of the wing mirror at 50y

.5 MORabbit :D

image_zps767b8fd6.jpg

I accidentally put a box of winnies through the tumble drier the other day after my realtree got soaked in the rain so I used the opportunity to strip, clean, scrub and generally give my 452 some tlc.

I then used the dented bullets to re-lead the barrel. Onto some fresh ones and this was the result off of the wing mirror at 50y

.5 MORabbit :D

image_zps767b8fd6.jpg

At what stage did you realise? I might have been tempted to take cover!

Just replenished the 452 supplies with a brick of Winchester this time. They say they aint changed them but tested a box at 100 first from my mates supply and they produced a 10 shot group at 130 yds with 8 of them going into a inch, two shots cracked off a tad faster and ended up about 1" high. They didn't use to do that good in the white box ! Maybe it is more than repackaging?

Just replenished the 452 supplies with a brick of Winchester this time. They say they aint changed them but tested a box at 100 first from my mates supply and they produced a 10 shot group at 130 yds with 8 of them going into a inch, two shots cracked off a tad faster and ended up about 1" high. They didn't use to do that good in the white box ! Maybe it is more than repackaging?

because yank ammo is not as stringent as uk ammo!

because yank ammo is not as stringent as uk ammo!

I don't get that at all? Winchester comes from OZ, SK from Germany and green tag from the states. Non of these are UK made. All shoot !

I don't get that at all? Winchester comes from OZ, SK from Germany and green tag from the states. Non of these are UK made. All shoot !

Agreed-a few manufacturers make olympic medal winning 22rf ammo-eg Eley tenex,and the top RWS and perhaps Lapua.Federal have tried....The same companies also produce 22 ammo with somewhat lesser quality controls,though generally those three are pretty good at each price/quality bracket.Not many other companies produce top quality 22 ammo,or if they do,olympic competitors don't routinely use it.Ammo can be produced in different countries.Some 22 rf cheap ammo is mediocre.Some ammo is perhaps rebranded.

The essential point is that a few companies produce excellent ammo,in the top performance and price range.Some do not,and produced lesser ammo. Eley are admirably clear on this-if you want the best,try tenex,but also produce club,for the more modest shooter,and accept that it is not quite so good (the brand names do change,but the producton differences and marketing does not-

Eley do not pretend that club is as good as tenex,and it isn't.

Of course individual rifles-not often match ones-may have prefernces for a lesser ammo-fine.There is a good range of varying performance quality,and corresponding price.Most of the top ammo seems european,but it does not follow that everything made in europe is top quality,or that your bunny gun can't shoot acceptably unless you use a particular top maker.

If you find something that works,buy a couple of bricks,it might change.

gbal

Agreed-a few manufacturers make olympic medal winning 22rf ammo-eg Eley tenex,and the top RWS and perhaps Lapua.Federal have tried....The same companies also produce 22 ammo with somewhat lesser quality controls,though generally those three are pretty good at each price/quality bracket.Not many other companies produce top quality 22 ammo,or if they do,olympic competitors don't routinely use it.Ammo can be produced in different countries.Some 22 rf cheap ammo is mediocre.Some ammo is perhaps rebranded.

The essential point is that a few companies produce excellent ammo,in the top performance and price range.Some do not,and produced lesser ammo. Eley are admirably clear on this-if you want the best,try tenex,but also produce club,for the more modest shooter,and accept that it is not quite so good (the brand names do change,but the producton differences and marketing does not-

Eley do not pretend that club is as good as tenex,and it isn't.

Of course individual rifles-not often match ones-may have prefernces for a lesser ammo-fine.There is a good range of varying performance quality,and corresponding price.Most of the top ammo seems european,but it does not follow that everything made in europe is top quality,or that your bunny gun can't shoot acceptably unless you use a particular top maker.

If you find something that works,buy a couple of bricks,it might change.

gbal

Yes I know an ex international champ and they travel to the factories to test ammo, then buy a massive quantity from any batch that suits their requirement- but it must be perfect! Not really a great option for us mere bunny bashers though

not much use when you can only have 600 and acquire 500

like I say plus the international travel just to test and just possibly purchase. Its very easy for them to get very high allowances mind you

Archived