Not on foot, but years back I used to sometimes arrive by car at the gate on the forest path beyond the Hargreaves quarry that leads to Pickering Rifle Range before anybody else and before the club secretary arrived with the key. (I was young and keen in those days!) I'd wait a few minutes with the engine switched off until the Hon Sec appeared.

There was obviously a deer track just on the other side of the gate and roe would wander out only 5 or 6 yards in front, sometimes stand in the middle of the track and stare straight at me through the windscreen - presumably they either didn't see my ugly mug, or if they did, didn't connect it with any threat.

I used to wonder that if I quietly got out of the car after arrival and stood at the gate absolutely still, would they still appear and ignore me, or if more likely the absence of glass in the way + smell would put them off. In any event, I couldn't be bothered getting off my *rse (literally) to find out, so never did discover the answer to that one.

Hmmm! Does this game involve rubbing deer poo over yourself before you start?

Here's a close encounter I filmed through a cheap Aldi nightscope. I was out after the rabbits so only had the .22 with me.

That's impressive resolution, Allen! I hadn't realised NV gear was that good now.

Hmmm! Does this game involve rubbing deer poo over yourself before you start?

Here's a close encounter I filmed through a cheap Aldi nightscope. I was out after the rabbits so only had the .22 with me.

classic example of the head bob going on from the mum. Sika will do this also and keep coming just the same if they are not sure what you are. Great NV if that's a cheap one BTW impressive.

Friend of mine recorded this video a couple of years ago, i still find it impressive.

Sheep on the farm react just the same, sometimes they are actually more nervous in the approach than tame / fed fallow :D

Archived